Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2007, 12:09 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
There's an article on RV quilting in the magazine "American Quilters" Summer 2007 edition.

The DW will be in Paduka, Ky. She's going with her friend who's displaying her quilt "Vintage Garden".
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2007, 12:09 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
There's an article on RV quilting in the magazine "American Quilters" Summer 2007 edition.

The DW will be in Paduka, Ky. She's going with her friend who's displaying her quilt "Vintage Garden".
Old 06-18-2008, 10:16 AM   #3

As a new member I wanted to read about rv quilting. I tried to read about it but it requested that I become a member first. I didn't want to join so I guess I won't be reading about it unless you have a copy to e-mail me. I have been quilting for 20 years and now we have a new motor home and was thinking about taking it with me. I do not hand quilt and I don't need more magazines to be mailed to me. Thanks for your effort.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:30 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
The article is no longer available. I deleted the link.

Welcome to IRV2.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Any quilters out there?

I've been quilting (mostly machine) for close to 10 years. We just started RVing this season in a 34' class A. I'm sizing things up, hoping to find a good way to put quilting and RVing together. Any experience or hints out there?
Sbolles4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #6

I am a quilter, and have a 40' DSDP. We are going fulltime in the next year or so and I am debating with my husband whether we can wedge my 55" sewing cabinet with my Juki TL98Q in the coach. I'd hate to leave it behind since the drawer unit for my cabinet holds a lot of supplies. I am also wondering about fabric storage and if I should use plastic or fabric bins for my fabric that I would need to store in the basement. I have a cabinet I can use for other quilting supplies and a less accessible cabinet I can use for batting.

I am having to seriously think about what kind of quilting I'm going to do in the coach. Once I've made a new bed quilt and replaced all our accordion shades with quilted roman shades, what then? There is almost no open wall space to hang quilts, and I don't have a big circle of friends and family to give quilts to, so what am I going to sew? One can make only so many coasters and potholders. Thank God my other hobby is genealogy. I just need my laptop for that.

If you are not fulltiming, then I would think you could take just a project or two with you. Most sewing machines will fit comfortably on the dining table. Some people take a card table and set it up outside for the sewing machine. Your supplies could go into a bin and placed in exterior storage and be convenient enough to get to. The kitchen counter may provide enough space for a cutting board. If not, you could get a table with adjustable legs that could be raised for cutting and lowered for sewing. You could also do most of your cutting for your projects before you leave home.

Now if you could give me any advice on how to shrink what's in a 3000 s.f. house into a 300 s.f. RV, I'd be grateful.

Valerie
Old 10-18-2013, 12:31 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Donate quilts to cancer patients . Donate them to women's shelters .. donate them to Veterans Hospitals ..nursing homes.

Make 4 laperobe sized projects a year for donation. :-)

I don't fulltime so can't give good advice there.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I'm a quilter, too. I specialize in Civil War reproduction quilts, and have an enormous collection of reproduction fabrics. I keep it all in bins, sorted by color. The bins keep them well - I fold them all the same way, and affix a tag to each one with yardage, prewashed or not, where I got it, manufacturer if known, etc. One thought is to start hand quilting. My hoop is portable! I piece by machine, so I would have to take that along, but hoop quilting is fun.

Another idea - we had three foster kids placed with us a couple of years ago. The local quilt shop donated a quilt to each child. It was a great comfort to them to have something that was theirs and that kept them warm and cuddly. When they went back to their home 18 months later, the first thing they packed was their quilts. Maybe you would considering donating them to social services to give to kids who need something wonderful.
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:37 PM   #9

Thinking of a smaller rv to use as a sewing room. Am I crazy. We live in our motorhome and have no room for sewing.
Hairfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:35 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairfairy View Post
Thinking of a smaller rv to use as a sewing room. Am I crazy. We live in our motorhome and have no room for sewing.
Well I don't even full time and I'm really wanting a ToyHaulter Motorhome so I can have my dogs set up well for dog showing AND so I can set up a portable sewing table and take my machine along and sew inside vs outside when the weather isn't great so NO I don't think you're crazy at all Hairfairy
Old 09-22-2014, 02:57 AM   #11

Lol, Thanks, I just can't seem to give up all my machines. A small rv next to the motorhome would also give each of us our space. I love to sew, he loves to watch car shows lol
Old 09-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
The DW has just started quilting and really enjoys it. She's looking at how we can incorporate it into the MH while full timing. The other day she mentioned ALL the things she'd like to be able to bring along once we went full time. I opened my big mouth and said, "S#!% looks like I'll need a Stacker Trailed to haul all you stuff"! Well she thought that was a GREAT IDEA, future reference, don't open mouth to be sarcastic, it'll cost you!!!
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:21 PM   #13

That's a great idea. Everyone needs an extra playroom lol
Old 09-23-2014, 02:36 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe convert an enclosed utility trailer into a sewing studio on wheels?