Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2018, 07:43 AM   #1

Sports Car Racing for Spectators

Surveying for any interested in sports car racing here.

The wife and I had the pleasure of being at Daytona Speedway for the IMSA warm ups called the ROAR before the Rolex which is their 24 hour race. Despite the weather, it was a great time with open access to the pits and we got closer to the track than we thought would be allowed with cars blasting past at 150mph! So that got me thinking which is always dangerous. For modern racing there is IMSA:

https://www.imsa.com/

They race prototypes to modified street cars. And then there are the historic racing organizations:

https://hsrrace.com/
https://svra.com/

And most tracks have RV parking on the property. Unfortunately it seems the camping sells out rather quickly. We are planning to be at the Vintage Gran Prix at Mid-Ohio , Lexington OH in late Jun. Wondering if I'll run into any from here while there.

Garth
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2018, 03:50 PM   #2

Sports car racing is now sanctioned by IMSA (International Motor Sports Association), that recently purchased ALMS (American Le Mans Series). IMSA has "BOP" Balance Of Performance rules that handicap all classes to assure "Managed Competition" like NASCAR (IMSA is owned by NASCAR). This means that more powerful cars are restricted to be equivalent to lesser cars for better entertainment. Example: the C7R race Corvettes have less power than the street versions. If a brand exhibits more performance than its competitors, more restriction may be added during the season to provide a better "Show".

That said, the racing is very entertaining but some teams have left due to conflicts over the handicap rules.

Some enthusiasts feel that Vintage racing is more pure than the contemporary series since the cars tend to be more closely related to older cars.

Whatever. All racing is good, even NASCAR (The world wrestling championship of auto racing) The home of Pierre Debris the mystery French driver, as in "debris on the track".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy1 View Post
Surveying for any interested in sports car racing here.

The wife and I had the pleasure of being at Daytona Speedway for the IMSA warm ups called the ROAR before the Rolex which is their 24 hour race. Despite the weather, it was a great time with open access to the pits and we got closer to the track than we thought would be allowed with cars blasting past at 150mph! So that got me thinking which is always dangerous. For modern racing there is IMSA:

https://www.imsa.com/

They race prototypes to modified street cars. And then there are the historic racing organizations:

https://hsrrace.com/
https://svra.com/

And most tracks have RV parking on the property. Unfortunately it seems the camping sells out rather quickly. We are planning to be at the Vintage Gran Prix at Mid-Ohio , Lexington OH in late Jun. Wondering if I'll run into any from here while there.

Garth
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:24 PM   #3

The GTLM class is some of the best racing on the planet.

It's always been IMSA, its just been owned by different entities over the years. Dr. Panoz (the patch inventor) sold it to NASCAR a few years ago. So far we don't have any "debris" cautions.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:28 AM   #4

2017 was the 20th running of the Petit Lemans at Road Atlanta, and I have been to all but the first two. I actually have found the practice days and support races the days before the main race to be more ejoyable in many ways than the 10 hour Petit....... I've also been to races at Barber in Birminghan as well as The Mitty historic races at Road Atlanta and have been very involved with the running of the Porsche Club Race at Road Atlanta for about 10 years.

Given my participation in various racing schools and Porsche Club and BMW Club activities, I also gotten to spend some quality time and have / had "casual" friendships with some drivers, teams / team members, and others involved in sports car racing over the last 18 years. I've enjoyed getting some deep insight into racing and the "business" of sports car racing, as well as getting to ride "at speed"with several pros and highly talented racing school instructors; believe me, what these guys can do with a car is mind boggling....

If you want to "taste" what its like driving on a race track, I highly recommend the Porsche Sport Driving School at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, AL or Bob Bondurant Driving / Racing School near Phoenix. There are others at various venues around the country.....

Many local BMW and Porsche Clubs also have High Performance Driving events where you can take your own car on a race track "at speed" (doesn't have to be a BMW or Porsche); yes, they provide classroom and "in car" instruction" but beware this can become an expensive addiction as you advance from a total novice to more advanced run groups and / or racing school programs (turn 3 Road Atlanta in my CaymanS about 5 years ago).

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	89
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	191778  
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:57 AM   #5

I agree. I did Skip Barber at Laguna Seca, and one of the biggest things we learned was how much better the Pros really are.
Exponentially better.
It was also just about the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

What I like about IMSA is it's more about the cars than it is the drivers like it is in Nascar.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:14 AM   #6

I guess I can raise my hand. I bought my unit mostly for sports car racing just about five years ago. I bought it because of a quite nasty thunderstorm that ran through Mid-Ohio at a Honda Indy race and my son and I scrambled to the car as we watched our tent get flattened...

As we walked past all the RVs near the Keyhole the next day, my son exclaimed that it would be wise to invest in one. So I bit the bullet and it was the best decision.

Mid-Ohio sells out quickly motorhome wise. With IMSA returning this year I stepped up my game and bought an all season motorhome spot. So there is a very good chance of being at the Vintage race this year. We will be over near the carousel this year, as we have grown a bit tired of the keyhole straight...

Daytona is on the list for next year. But it was a tough choice between there and Road America, which is a great place. We have been there in early August for their IMSA event.

My favorite will always be Watkins Glen for the 6 hours. It is truly a great track and the racing is always good. We have a great spot at the heel of the boot that I will never give up.

IMSA is great because of the access you have. Unlike other series, you can go just about anywhere you want, everyone talks to you if they are not busy, and the racing is just so much more competitive. And they give you moments like this. My boy still talks of this moment to this day when he got to sit in a Corvette DP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10486812_10152481761848903_724669353292856948_o.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	191924  
Old 02-11-2018, 10:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The most fun we've had is towing our nephew's race trailer to 'Chumpcar' events. Real racing on the cheap, but not as disorganized as 24 hours of lemons. Full access to real tracks, like Watkins Glen, with old cars, Nissan 300ZX, in my nephew's case. Porsche club was heading in as we were leaving.

www.champcar.org. (I guess they've changed their name)

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Many local BMW and Porsche Clubs also have High Performance Driving events where you can take your own car on a race track "at speed" (doesn't have to be a BMW or Porsche); yes, they provide classroom and "in car" instruction" but beware this can become an expensive addiction as you advance from a total novice to more advanced run groups and / or racing school programs (turn 3 Road Atlanta in my CaymanS about 5 years ago).

Regards
My wife and I have a background in motorcycle road racing, and we both have track-worthy cars- my X73-equipped Porsche 981, and her BMW F22 Track Pack. But our problem with car track days is that they tend to just be high-speed parades, where you can only pass on one side, on one straight, and only after the passee acknowledges your intent to pass with a certain hand signal.

Whereas, motorcycle track days have much more usable passing rules. For example the slow group might only get to pass on the straights, but they can pass on either side, on any straight, and they do not require the acknowledgement of the passee before they pass. In the intermediate group, they might be allowed to pass anywhere, even on the outside in corners, without acknowledgement. In the fast group, they might be allowed to pass anywhere, including block-passing up the inside, as long as the pass is at arm's length. And some track day organizations even have special groups just for licensed expert road racers, where any pass that involves both vehicles being the same color after the pass as they were before the pass, is a good pass. An important part of making these passing rules work, is requiring that all rear-view mirrors be removed or taped over, and all brake lamps de-activated or taped over.
Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:04 PM   #9

Excellent!. I am not a proponent of "rubbing is racing".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Tour View Post
.... And some track day organizations even have special groups just for licensed expert road racers, where any pass that involves both vehicles being the same color after the pass as they were before the pass, is a good pass....
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Excellent!. I am not a proponent of "rubbing is racing".
Track days are not racing. You can't "win" a track day, but you can sure lose one.

In actual racing, stuff happens. We all accept that.

But during track days, people are expected to conduct themselves as gentlemen- we are there to hone our skills, not to be rebuilding a crashed motorcycle after a "punting" incident.

I have no problem with stuffing a wheel up the inside during a track day if the R.O.E. (Rules Of Engagement) allow it. The person I'm passing may have to check up, but I will always leave them the opportunity to not suddenly have to take up high-speed gardening.
Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Tour View Post
My wife and I have a background in motorcycle road racing, and we both have track-worthy cars- my X73-equipped Porsche 981, and her BMW F22 Track Pack. But our problem with car track days is that they tend to just be high-speed parades, where you can only pass on one side, on one straight, and only after the passee acknowledges your intent to pass with a certain hand signal.
I realize this is an older thread but still: LOL ! Your post pretty much sums up why I never considered track days (I held an FIA class C license until the early 90s). In every sanctioned race event you need to have the windows and/or window net up but on track days they want you to stick your arm out the window !
csuder99 is offline   Reply With Quote