RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:35 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Not that I’m saying s person should break the law , but go to jail for not having proper license?
Good grief
True.

I'm taking an informal poll.

1. Has anyone been stopped and cited for riding an e-bike?

2. Has anyone actually read the long posts by G.T.?

Me thinks it's zero, nada, zip in both cases.

Retire 2020 GLW
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2018, 11:34 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
True.

I'm taking an informal poll.

1. Has anyone been stopped and cited for riding an e-bike?

2. Has anyone actually read the long posts by G.T.?

Me thinks it's zero, nada, zip in both cases.
I've see people turned around at the trail head before. They were not happy.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:26 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I've see people turned around at the trail head before. They were not happy.
That would definitely be a bummer. Especially if the offender bought a e-bike that was a mountain bike just to ride with their better half. I guess that just falls under it's easier to make one blanket rule than try and go case by case. I think many riders are all for whatever gets people out of their cages and riding bikes more.

Retire 2020 GLW
Old 10-29-2018, 05:25 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
That would definitely be a bummer. Especially if the offender bought a e-bike that was a mountain bike just to ride with their better half. I guess that just falls under it's easier to make one blanket rule than try and go case by case. I think many riders are all for whatever gets people out of their cages and riding bikes more.
The problem is that riders share the trails with hikers. Many MTB riders are bad as it is but at least they go slow up hills. Around here, the E-Bikes are flying up the hills!
Old 11-26-2018, 12:52 PM   #61

I have a older Cannondale Super V 800. I took the wide mountain bike tires off and replaced them with narrow road bike tires and wheels this makes a huge difference riding on black top.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:55 PM   #62

The paranoia on ebikes here is amazing. First off, most ride bikes with electric assist, which is different from ebikes. It is a silly difference, but if it has a throttle in some areas it is a problem. If it assists only when pedaling and is less than 500 watts there should be no problem. And most of these with a controller cut out above a certain speed, either 20 or 25. Frankly if you have more than a 500 watt(and there is no such thing as 501 watt motors) you do have a motorcycle. We have a recumbent trike with 250 and it is more than enough power TO ASSIST up any hill.

There are ebikes with off road suspensions and 1000 watt motors. They are a different vehicle and should be licensed as they are basically motorcycles.

The national park limit is no longer.

So ebikes that assist are a real thing and are becoming very popular. We have ridden in several states on bike paths and NEVER had a problem. Local cops have checked out our rides and NEVER gave us a ticket, warning or anything else.

One more thing, the department store bikes are not all bad. Bought two schwinn brand bikes at target years ago for 100 each. Put a set of high end slick tread tires on, pumped them up to 70 PSI and they ride quite well. I would put them up against a 500 dollar bike from the local shop any time.
TIME2CAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:50 AM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ditto to @TIME2CAMP post...

We have an assisted Catrike Villager (750Watts), assisted EZ-Classic-SX recumbent (750watts), and a Rad Powerbike (750Watts) assisted bike...we ride 1000's of miles all over the country...never had a second look by a trail officer/ranger or anyone else. Then again, I'm not flying down the trail at warp 9 either.

I see no imminent catastrophe riding an assisted or e-bike around for fun, there is more danger in charging the battery than riding.

Ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:27 AM   #64

American Coach Owners Club
I bought a new bike from this online company and have been Very Happy with it. The model is Dover 3 Hybrid Comfort Style.

I had a Trek before this one and this bike is the best Ive ever had. And only $379 bucks.
24Spd, Disc brakes, suspension seat and front forks and 29" wheels.
Will buy my next one from them as well.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/
Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:50 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaecuD View Post
Using your logic, this would also mean that cars are illegal to use in many states, since they require a license to operate as well.

I looked the link you provided and would like some clarification. Here’s your quote from before:
“Electric "bicycles" are illegal to use on public roads in many states.”
I would appreciate it if you would list all these “many states” that do not allow any use of e-bikes on their roads? __________________
I don't have to have all the money in the world - just enough not to worry about it.

It would be very helpful if you used the quotation button in the future so that we know who/what you're commenting on without having to research.

Retire 2020 GLW
Old 11-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
I didn't read all 5 pages but:

If you ride an E-bike or a motorcycle you are a BIKER
If you must pedal as the sole means of propulsion ( excepting gravity) you are a CYCLIST
Please do not confuse one with the other as the they are not interchangeable.
https://enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:19 AM   #67

Send a message via AIM to Divingbiker Send a message via Yahoo to Divingbiker
Check this out.....

So it looks like this thread has turned into a debate about electric bikes and whether they are legal in various states. My two cents: Given the HUGE
technical advancements and popularity of electric bikes, they will be legal everywhere in every state. I do not have one presently, but Im sure one is in my future.

On a more interesting note (to me anyway) I just bought a new bike. Its the most weird bike style bike I have ever owned. But we REALLY like this thing. I wanted to show it to you because there may be some here interested in something different. (No, it's not electric, although there is an option to purchase it with a electric motor)

My wife and I consider ourselves casual riders, but we do bicycle a bunch, averaging about 300 miles a month. We enjoy doing century group rides and exploring the outdoors in state and federal parks on a bike. Bicycling and hiking are what we like to do and this lifestyle keeps both of us in pretty good shape physically and mentally.

Lately my wife has been having issues with a traditional bike seat (medical issue that cant be fixed) and she hasn't wanted to ride as much. I bought a recumbent style bike to see if this would work for her. And BINGO, she loves it and I have my riding partner back. Its called a Hase Pino Allaround. German built and very high quality. Yes, it's expensive, but very much worth it to me AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, my riding partner!

This interesting tandem bicycle configuration has the rear captain position sitting traditional and the front stoker position sitting recumbent. We recently did a 4000 mile trip in the motorhome out west. We put about 500 miles on the bike over a two week period and had a blast. Here's a few photos........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hase garage.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	267529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inkedhase motorhome_LI.jpg
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	267530  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hase grand canyon.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	267531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hase new mexico.jpg
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	267532  

Old 11-21-2019, 12:23 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post

If you must pedal as the sole means of propulsion ( excepting gravity) you are a CYCLIST
So E-bikes that are only pedal assist have a cyclist in the saddle or a biker? Not that it really matters.

Retire 2020 GLW
Old 11-22-2019, 06:28 AM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingbiker View Post
So it looks like this thread has turned into a debate about electric bikes and whether they are legal in various states. My two cents: Given the HUGE
technical advancements and popularity of electric bikes, they will be legal everywhere in every state. I do not have one presently, but Im sure one is in my future.

On a more interesting note (to me anyway) I just bought a new bike. Its the most weird bike style bike I have ever owned. But we REALLY like this thing. I wanted to show it to you because there may be some here interested in something different. (No, it's not electric, although there is an option to purchase it with a electric motor)

My wife and I consider ourselves casual riders, but we do bicycle a bunch, averaging about 300 miles a month. We enjoy doing century group rides and exploring the outdoors in state and federal parks on a bike. Bicycling and hiking are what we like to do and this lifestyle keeps both of us in pretty good shape physically and mentally.

Lately my wife has been having issues with a traditional bike seat (medical issue that cant be fixed) and she hasn't wanted to ride as much. I bought a recumbent style bike to see if this would work for her. And BINGO, she loves it and I have my riding partner back. Its called a Hase Pino Allaround. German built and very high quality. Yes, it's expensive, but very much worth it to me AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, my riding partner!

This interesting tandem bicycle configuration has the rear captain position sitting traditional and the front stoker position sitting recumbent. We recently did a 4000 mile trip in the motorhome out west. We put about 500 miles on the bike over a two week period and had a blast. Here's a few photos........
We really enjoyed peddling aroung the Grand Canyon on their many paved trails. Does she not mind not having handle bars?
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:00 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post

This doesn't work for me. Wife has assist, she uses it on longer rides or on steep hills only. The rest of the time she pedals, and then has the additional weight and (minor) resistance of the drive wheel.

And this situation is more common than you think. The word "sole" should be "primary" in my opinion.

Yes this thread seems to be all about ebikes and in my opinion it should be a new thread, as many more members might benefit from it.

TIME2CAMP is offline   Reply With Quote