RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2008, 06:02 PM   #1

We're buying a 2001 on a Spartan chassis. The boots on the ball joints are shot. During the prebuy inspection the shop found the boots gone on the ball joints. There recommended we replace the boots at a fraction of the cost of new ball joints.

Has anyone tried this solution. I know it is risky and contaminants are likely already in the lube in the joint. Done properly, i can make a case in my mind that it might be a viable repair. Your ideas, please.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2008, 06:02 PM   #2

We're buying a 2001 on a Spartan chassis. The boots on the ball joints are shot. During the prebuy inspection the shop found the boots gone on the ball joints. There recommended we replace the boots at a fraction of the cost of new ball joints.

Has anyone tried this solution. I know it is risky and contaminants are likely already in the lube in the joint. Done properly, i can make a case in my mind that it might be a viable repair. Your ideas, please.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:49 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
What front end is on your 2001? Let me know if you find just the boots. My 99' has the Granning IFS and the boots are not replaceable alone.
If you were to lift the weight off the ball joints and remove hte boot, clean with a solvent like a brake cleaner, rinse with a denatured alcohol, and installed the new boots you will probably be good to go for another set of boots. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:28 AM   #4

Not sure i can answer your question but will try. The mh is a Dutch Star by Newmar. The chassis is Spartan and as i understand the ball joints were manufactured by Tuthill.

I will keep you posted. A local very reputable shop has told me they can do the job and can get the boots. I'm trying to contact Spartan now to see if i can buy just the boots.

If not the shop thinks they can measure the ball joints to determine boot size and then buy them on after market.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:01 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Please let me know if you find just the boots. I want to do mine as well.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:24 PM   #6

Just had the unit in the shop to see if they could replace the boots. They had told me they could but needed the coach to measure for the boots. They were not able to find just the boots so we are back to square one.

I haven't given up yet. The joints are still good. I want to try some things myself. May not work but I think it's worth a try.

snail1
Old 03-09-2008, 03:13 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
snail1, I wonder if there might be an after market company that makes boots for ball joints that normally are only built together? I wonder if another boot; even if it is slightly larger can be cut down and then a seam glued down the middle. The boot could then be clamped onto the top and bottom bases. Have you been doing any kind of searches in this area?
Old 03-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #8

I've not found anything yet. I think i'll look at boots for cv joints or some rack and pinion stearing boots to see if i can find something to fit or close. I can then maybe cut it to size and clamp as mentioned earlier.

It will be at least a week before i can get the sizes.

snail1
Old 03-14-2008, 06:57 AM   #9

I would check your off-road shops and see what they have. They commonly carry polyurethane boots for CV joints, coil-over shocks etc or can order them and they are virtually indestructable.

Also, there is this (I think) Loctite #411 adhesive that is designed to bond windshield gaskets etc together. Once glued, this stuff never comes apart...ever. I saw this stuff the first time our GS windshield was replaced. It works like they claim so if you have to cut and glue a urethane boot, this stuff should do the trick. If not, you can always use CV joint clamps (like VW bug stuff).

I would also check your better big truck parts suppliers. They usually have links for parts like boots etc without having to buy the entire joint and there is always the option of Jegs or Summit Racing Products. They might have some shifter boots that could be adapted.

Good luck.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:17 PM   #10

2001 Spartan Ball Joints

I have a 2001 American Dream 40DMS and no steering play or noises but rubber is gone. How long can I just keep them greased before replacement? On a Spartan MM-2242 chassis.
AMERICANMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 04:19 PM   #11

Spartan Ball Joints - How to tell if they are dangerous

I see you have put duplicate posts on your question. Try to keep to one post.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAIL1 View Post
Just had the unit in the shop to see if they could replace the boots. They had told me they could but needed the coach to measure for the boots. They were not able to find just the boots so we are back to square one.

I haven't given up yet. The joints are still good. I want to try some things myself. May not work but I think it's worth a try.

snail1
The boots are non-replaceable, the entire ball joint must be replaced; however one member found these: post #74

But wait! one of our members devised an alternative,he drilled and tapped a hole into the back-side of each ball joint, then screwed in a zerk fitting. This allows him to re-grease the ball joints as he does the rest of the steering components. Begin with post 88 and continue reading the rest of the page. His Pictures of before and after.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote