Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2017, 02:48 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2002 DSDP Rear radiator replacement ?

I have 2002 Dutch Star 4097 side radiator coach. I am going to replace my radiator come spring time. I called Spartan to inquire about getting a new radiator and was told the replacement radiators they supply are Plastic tank with aluminum core units P/N 1227-FF1-801001

I have read that these are the same radiator used in some Volvo trucks, but I am unable to find any cross reference to a Volvo P/N or other makers part number. I am looking for a brass tank/copper core unit that's rebuildable if I ever have to do that. Would a full aluminum radiator be a satisfactory replacement. I'm hoping someone has done this swap and can shed some light on what to use for a replacement.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

HAPPY & Healthy NEW YEAR to one and all!
Ragtop69GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2017, 02:49 PM   #2

Old 12-31-2017, 02:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop69GS View Post
I have 2002 Dutch Star 4097 side radiator coach. I am going to replace my radiator come spring time. I called Spartan to inquire about getting a new radiator and was told the replacement radiators they supply are Plastic tank with aluminum core units P/N 1227-FF1-801001

I have read that these are the same radiator used in some Volvo trucks, but I am unable to find any cross reference to a Volvo P/N or other makers part number. I am looking for a brass tank/copper core unit that's rebuildable if I ever have to do that. Would a full aluminum radiator be a satisfactory replacement. I'm hoping someone has done this swap and can shed some light on what to use for a replacement.

Have you considered going to a Radiator Shop and getting a quote on having one built? You might be surprised.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Have you considered going to a Radiator Shop and getting a quote on having one built? You might be surprised.
No I have not. But since you throw that out there I guess it's an option I should explore.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:15 PM   #5

With all the Spartan radiator problems I have read on this site I too as Dennis45 has suggested, would be getting a quote from a quality radiator shop. I would do my best to stay away form a Plastic Tank Radiator.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:20 PM   #6

A rad shop will likely just put a new core on the existing tanks. For much less than a new assembly from the OEM.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:36 PM   #7

I have not pulled the radiator yet, was the OEM radiator in 2002 rebuildable or are they plastic tank disposable radiators? I have looked but couldn't tell. There are a few good radiator shops in my area.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:53 PM   #8

Quote:

We had ours replaced in our 2001 3891 Dutch Star in April of 2017. The repair was done by Freightliner of Lexington KY. They had the radiator built at a local radiator shop, total cost of the repair was $2,626.18. The radiator itself was only $700.00. They also stated that if I was ever somewhere else, the radiator comes from a 1991 Volvo truck, part # 306592. I haven't verified the part # however it may point you in the right direction.

Note: the radiator that the shop built was completely new, all metal, soldered. They needed the old one for measurements.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
We had ours replaced in our 2001 3891 Dutch Star in April of 2017. The repair was done by Freightliner of Lexington KY. They had the radiator built at a local radiator shop, total cost of the repair was $2,626.18. The radiator itself was only $700.00. They also stated that if I was ever somewhere else, the radiator comes from a 1991 Volvo truck, part # 306592. I haven't verified the part # however it may point you in the right direction.

Note: the radiator that the shop built was completely new, all metal, soldered. They needed the old one for measurements.
Is your 3891 on a Freightliner or Spartan chassis? Mine is a Spartan and is most likely different from a FL. Thanks for your reply either way.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Is your 3891 on a Freightliner or Spartan chassis? Mine is a Spartan and is most likely different from a FL. Thanks for your reply either way.
Ahhhh, ours in on a Freightliner so probably not the same radiator. Either way, have a local shop build a new one. Cheaper cost, better radiator, and probably a better warranty as well! Are you going to do the replacement yourself?
Old 01-02-2018, 07:14 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
When I replaced mine years back, Spartan chassis, side radiator, I had my local radiator shop come to my shop and take a look at it, he went under and came back out and said, that is a bla bla bla and is also used in bla bla bla.......can't remember what he said now, a common radiator. He called his suppler 90 miles away and had one shipped to his shop. I got the old one out and took it to him, he had to remove the steel frame work on the old one and install it on the new on, painted the frame all up before the reinstall. The bill from him was $1495.00 3 or 4 year's ago.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Ahhhh, ours in on a Freightliner so probably not the same radiator. Either way, have a local shop build a new one. Cheaper cost, better radiator, and probably a better warranty as well! Are you going to do the replacement yourself?
Yes, with the help of a few friends we will do it come springtime. I have the tools here at home. Much cheaper than dealing with a failure while on the road.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, with the help of a few friends we will do it come springtime. I have the tools here at home. Much cheaper than dealing with a failure while on the road.
I'm with you there. Ours failed 110 miles from home on the way home from a 1900 mile trip. We had stopped for dinner and say the dreaded red puddle on the pre-start walk around. Checked fluid level, added water, drove a few miles, checked fluid level, drove 10 miles, etc, until we got home. Used about 5 gallons of water added to get home, but never emptied the expansion tank, so engine was never at risk. We were able to drive into Lexington later and have it repaired at our convenience. The CAC, hydraulic oil cooler, AC cooler, etc were all bolted together as one large unit, so I let Freightliner take care of it. I didn't want to do it outside, in the gravel, in the weather . . . didn't have the RV garage built at that time.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #14

Just went through this...1994 HR Nav 38WB w/ 6CTA, brass/copper radiator. Was going to have it rebuilt, then saw how all the solder joints had not only rusted, but had partially obstructed 1/3 of the flowthru tubes. Rebuild with NO guarantee of results would have been around 650-750; new aluminum radiator 900. Told the Kenworth folks to stick the new aluminum one in.

Unless your radiator shop is making minor repairs to solder joints or welding/brazing a pinhole leak or two, not sure if the rebuild buys you much time or not. The old codger I was dealing with has done pretty much everything from old cast iron radiators to today's stuff, and seemed to think it was definitely a situation of diminished returns. FWIW...
ArgoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, radiator, replace, replacement