Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #1

Unhappy 2007 American Eagle Won't Start

My family and I used our 2007 American Eagle RV two weeks ago for a weekend trip. I brought it back home, had it washed, and put it in storage 2 days later. I have a hub leaking on the tag axle and went to start the RV to use the leveling jacks to lift it on Tuesday (2 days ago). The RV went through it's normal "wait to start" routine and I turned the key to start. The engine turned over maybe 1/4 of a revolution and quit. Next, I got three messages in the speedometer display that say "Battery Voltage Error", "Engine Comm Failure", and "Trans Comm Failure". I checked the chassis batteries and they are both around 13 volts and 99% charged. They were new in April of 2013. The house batteries were almost dead. I charged the house batteries and it still won't start.

The Allison Transmission shift display does not light up when I turn the key to the on position. I can't remember if it typically did or not before this problem. all other dash and display lights seem to be working perfectly. I've tried switching the master battery switch on the chassis batteries multiple times.

This RV has the 500 HP Cummins and Allison 4000 transmission.

Any ideas on where I need to look for the problem?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
does the dash lights still light up when you turn the key? If not, I would check the main chassis switch in the engine compartment. In fact, I would turn it off and turn it back on. I would also do the same with your battery disconnect for the house.

I could be the starter if it started to turn over and then quit. Doesn't show where you are located, you might try looking for a mobile diesel mechanic, way cheaper service call than tow. Do you have an Emergency Roadside Assistance? Good luck.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #3

The dash lights light up and the gauges cycle continuously like slow windshield wipers. I have tried switching both house battery and chassis battery disconnects multiple times.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #4

You guys would really like the american coach yahoo group. 2000 american coach members and easy to find someone that had the same problem. I can post the a link if interested.

Did you try the aux start button the links the house to chassis batteries? I seem to remember someone having the same problem, I think it was the big boy relay. Try switching the battery disconnects by the door several times as well.
Eagle123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #5

I finally figured it out. I checked the cables going to the starter, which was not the problem, but I was surprised to find that there are 6 cables on the negative side of the starter and 3 on the positive. I removed the cables and inspected all of them and found nothing wrong. I was also surprised that even with both battery "master" switches turned off, there is still power going to the starter, which caused sparks every time my wrench touched anything that was grounded.

After determining it was not a cable issue, I figured I might as well unplug the ECM to see if resetting it would fix the problem. I started tracing the cord from the OBD port to find the ECM and found a bird's nest of zip tied wires behind the coolant recovery tank. I clipped most of the sip ties and discovered there were several inline fuses in these wires. I started checking the fuses and found a 60 amp maxi fuse that was blown. I replaced the fuse and everything is back to normal.

Picture of the wires with blown fuse removed:

I can't believe Fleetwood would put 3 fuse boxes in the motor home, then would put 5 or 6 more critical fuses in a disorganized bird's nest of wires hidden in the engine compartment.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #6

you're smarter then the average possum. I guess you have to be in order to get enough doe to buy your own tour bus. You could have taken it to three different shops and pay over hundred bucks an hour to replace parts you didn't need. There have been motorhome towed for one broken wire or a blown fuse.
check out this ac web group. I found tons of great info on problem and upgrades.Yahoo Groups
Eagle123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for updating with solution, it is sure to help someone else.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsix View Post
I finally figured it out........... I clipped most of the sip ties and discovered there were several inline fuses in these wires. I started checking the fuses and found a 60 amp maxi fuse that was blown. I replaced the fuse and everything is back to normal.

I can't believe Fleetwood would put 3 fuse boxes in the motor home, then would put 5 or 6 more critical fuses in a disorganized bird's nest of wires hidden in the engine compartment.
I'd carry extra fuses of all sizes and amps just in case this happens again.

I'm not a bit surprised buy the places OEMs choose to place fuses.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote