Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2017, 09:53 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2017 k3

Put down payment on 2017 Newmar LA. My question is I have air brakes on current coach, but the connection is smaller. Can I just get an adapter and plug into air fitting on back of MH? Now I get a light that comes on that lets me know the toads brakes are being activated. Current brake system is made by roadmaster.
Thanks
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2017, 02:41 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
David,
Couldn't you take the bracket and air connection from your current DS and install on the LA. The air line is most likely 1/4 " and uses standard air line fittings.
How do you get the brake light signal from the toad to the coach currently?
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:54 PM   #3

The fitting on the K3 is a 3/8" air fitting. The other end of that fitting is a 3/8" male pipe thread. If you have a 1/4" air fitting, you can substitute a 3/8" air fitting by 3/8 male pipe thread fitting.

Amazon has this part for $7 -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am attaching a diagram I got from Spartan that shows these pieces.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Air Fitting.pdf (210.0 KB, 87 views)
Ken Gluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #4

PM sent.
Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:17 AM   #5

Correction to my prior message -- you can substitute a 1/4" air fitting by 3/8" male pipe thread fitting.

The Amazon part I provided is correct.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:57 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman 2 View Post
David,
Couldn't you take the bracket and air connection from your current DS and install on the LA. The air line is most likely 1/4 " and uses standard air line fittings.
How do you get the brake light signal from the toad to the coach currently?

On the DS it did not come with air line. They attached it with small red tubing to brake air tank. Did not see how they attached red light on dash, which indicates when toad brakes are applied.
I can get a 3/8” to 1/4” air adapter but will need to see how signal is getting to dash. Would hate to be pulling my jeep and all the while having the brakes applied...
Old 10-05-2017, 09:16 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
2017 k3

So you had no quick disconnect at the coach side of the air line?

Here's is how I did my signal wire:
Went to Radio Shack and bought a small 12 volt LED panel light and drill a small hole in left side of dash where I can see it while driving.
The Spartan 7 pin RV connection at rear of coach is fully wired. So the wire for the brake controller runs from that connector to the dash area of the coach. This wire is a blue 10 gauge wire. I connected the blue wire to one led of the LED light and the other led from the LED light to ground.

Here is what you should find in the dash to the left where the blue wire is.
There should be a pink 10 gauge, a black 12 gauge, a blue 10 gauge, and a red 16 gauge wire taped together.

You are looking for the blue wire number SP709B. This is wire that goes back to 7 pin RV plug on rear of coach.

Can't help any further as I don't know how your toad is wired.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:23 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Leave the existing setup in your current unit alone! The next owner will appreciate your thoughtfulness!
Order the New Parts, Air Chuck ,Ping Tank and Wiring harness,air lines, and have them professionally installed!
I just finished installing that same Brakemaster unit in my older Dutch Star! It was a major PITA !
RobRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:02 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSDP View Post
Leave the existing setup in your current unit alone! The next owner will appreciate your thoughtfulness!
Order the New Parts, Air Chuck ,Ping Tank and Wiring harness,air lines, and have them professionally installed!
I just finished installing that same Brakemaster unit in my older Dutch Star! It was a major PITA !

The OP has a LA on order so it will come with all that. Newmar on Spartan have it as standard equipment on 2018 models MA's and up.
The OP is trying to figure out the air connection between the coach and toad as the connection on the LA is different from what he currently has.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:36 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2027.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	178944Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1381.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	396.6 KB
ID:	178945

If you look closely under front passenger side shackle on jeep you can see were the air line attaches, under passenger side shackle, this is the only picture I have on my phone. Same goes for MH the air line is to the left of the license plate, also with with a black cover over it.
So it sounds rather simple tie in led light to blue wire under dash and mount on panel, then just get a 3/8” to 1/4” airline adapter or replace 3/8” fitting to 1/4” on fitting. Then there would be no need for the adapter.
Thanks to all!
Old 10-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I'm looking at the Jeep's pic and it appears you use a separate wire for the brake signal wire other the one for the lights.
If you do have a separate wire for the brake signal let me know, I have a suggestion that may easier to get signal dash.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:29 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
That’s great! So the only thing that needs to be changed is the umbilical Cord/ Hose ends so that the two Vehicles can hook up!

The signal wire connection will also need to be changed !

Seems pretty straight forward with all the proper Stuff installed by the factory.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:08 PM   #13

It turns out that the Amazon part I listed in a prior message is incorrect. I'm not doing too well on this thread...

Anyway, the drawing I got from Spartan clearly shows that the female air fitting is "3/8" INDUSTRIAL INTERCHANGE 3/8 NPTF MALE" and thus will not work with the 1/4" male fitting on the SMI provided air hose. However, after searching and even buying a couple of parts to try, I haven't been able to come up with a female air fitting that couples with the SMI male fitting.

The female fitting on the hose (with which the male fitting does couple) is labeled "Rectus 21" but I haven't identified what that is and where one can purchase mating fittings. You would need to find the proper air fitting with a 3/8" NPT male thread on the other end for a simple conversion, but I haven't been able to do so.

It may be possible to changes the fitting on the SMI air hose, but I haven't tried that yet.

Has anyone identified the parts needed to mate the SMI air hose to the Spartan air connection?
Old 10-09-2017, 03:16 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
If the SMI fitting has a male 1/4 NPT fitting which I think you are saying than you can use a 3/8 to 1/4 NPT bushing. I would get in brass.