Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
'98 Spartan/Newmar Chassis Cooling Fan

Recently we took a trip over our local pass into Central Oregon during the summer months and on the way up the steep side, The over heat alarm sounded. We had just had everything serviced, etc. I opened the engine hatch in the back and noticed the fan was not spinning very fast. I know this is a hydraulic driven fan, but what drives it? I was told the power steering pump does. The fluids were all the correct level in the big can reservoir on right side rear. We shut her off and let it cool down after I also discovered the Transmission was a gallon low. We pulled the cycle out of the trailer and rode back 20 miles to Oakridge and got ATF. And after adding it to the transmission. and starting the rig up the fan roared like a lion and off we went. On the way home, starting up the other side of the pass after a weeks stay, it over heated again. And again the fan wasnt running where it should be speed wise. I nursed it over the top and once we cooled off, it again roared to life. What am I missing? A fellow diesel pusher owner said I needed to rebuild the PS pump. Weve only had the rig a short while and there isnt much on the way of documentation for the chassis.

anbrusten is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2017, 04:25 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by anbrusten View Post
Recently we took a trip over our local pass into Central Oregon during the summer months and on the way up the steep side, The over heat alarm sounded. We had just had everything serviced, etc. I opened the engine hatch in the back and noticed the fan was not spinning very fast. I know this is a hydraulic driven fan, but what drives it? I was told the power steering pump does. The fluids were all the correct level in the big can reservoir on right side rear. We shut her off and let it cool down after I also discovered the Transmission was a gallon low. We pulled the cycle out of the trailer and rode back 20 miles to Oakridge and got ATF. And after adding it to the transmission. and starting the rig up the fan roared like a lion and off we went. On the way home, starting up the other side of the pass after a weeks stay, it over heated again. And again the fan wasnt running where it should be speed wise. I nursed it over the top and once we cooled off, it again roared to life. What am I missing? A fellow diesel pusher owner said I needed to rebuild the PS pump. Weve only had the rig a short while and there isnt much on the way of documentation for the chassis.
The transmission fluid level will not affect the fan, it is operated off the hydraulic system and it has its own hydraulic tank with a dip stick on top. Did you check the fluid level in it? This hydraulic system operates the power steering and your fan drive motor,and this hydraulic pump is mounted on the back side of the air compressor and this is all mounted on the engine, and is driven by the cam gear. There is also a Priority Valve on the fan side of this system(At least on mine) to adjust the fan speed.
On the right side of this photo you will see the coolant overflow tank(White tank) and in back of it you can see a large black tank, that is the hydraulic tank, and it has 3 stacked filter's in it.
Also, given the year of your Coach, has the CAC (Charge air cooler) and the radiator ever been pulled and cleaned?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07603.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	155390  

Old 03-22-2017, 07:44 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
No CAC in here, and the radiator was checked and blown our regularly. No significant buildup in the internal tubes either. I had suspicions its the hyd pump on the engine. I will again check the level. I just couldnt find any info on it as to the level requirements and servicing. Also I have not found a priority valve. It just slowed way down and then later took off like a airplane. so there is something affecting it. No discernible difference on the operation of the steering
Old 03-25-2017, 04:31 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
I am not saying there isn't something wrong with the fan control system, there could be.

You also mention only having the rig a short time. Do you downshift manually on large grades. If you just put the throttle down and wait for the transmission to shift you are probably waiting too late. If you use the shift pad and downshift early enough it helps keep the engine/transmission temperatures down

thx Dale
Old 03-25-2017, 11:18 PM   #5

The priority ralve is mounted on the chasis frame rail behind the drivers rear tire. It is in a silver box about 6inx4in. You would not have power steering if the pump, that is attached to the air compressor on the motor broke.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:22 PM   #6

Sounds like it is the pressure regulator valve. There is two valve in the box 160 through Spartan. Just ordered some the other week. Then Ryder fleet products has the reseviour filter for 30. Napa had a sale on fluid for t gallons was 85 bucks... you should be good there... I had to replace the pump... 😡
Old 03-25-2017, 11:23 PM   #7

Send me a message if you have any questions can walk you through whole process if you need
Old 03-27-2017, 08:02 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsta View Post
Sounds like it is the pressure regulator valve. There is two valve in the box 160 through Spartan. Just ordered some the other week. Then Ryder fleet products has the reseviour filter for 30. Napa had a sale on fluid for t gallons was 85 bucks... you should be good there... I had to replace the pump... 😡
had not thought about the valve just being bad, wonder how you could test it when it works most of the time
Old 03-27-2017, 08:04 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale70 View Post
I am not saying there isn't something wrong with the fan control system, there could be.

You also mention only having the rig a short time. Do you downshift manually on large grades. If you just put the throttle down and wait for the transmission to shift you are probably waiting too late. If you use the shift pad and downshift early enough it helps keep the engine/transmission temperatures down

thx Dale
I have driven truck, yes I do down shift the trans manually, it saves on heating up the brakes so much, no sense just standing on them for 30 miles doing down steep grades
Old 03-27-2017, 08:25 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Per the OP's PM to me, here are the photo's I mentioned......

Attached Images

Old 03-28-2017, 11:32 AM   #11

Might need a little cleaning... :-)

Tags
chassis, cooling, fan, newmar, spartan