Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2019, 08:39 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
ABS Blinkcode Switch

2000 American Eagle on Spartan MM chassis.
A wiring diagram that I think is for my chassis mentions an ABS Blinkcode switch. I assume this is to help in diagnostics if your ABS light is in.
Mine has been on forever and curious to see if it might be a simple fix.

Do we have that switch on our Eagles, and where is it?
What should it be telling me?

thx Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2019, 06:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Look under dash for a plate with the OBD connector. Right side of steering wheel shaft
It may be mounted on same plate.
That is where it was located on our 2002 Spartan MM.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:19 PM   #3

Dale, the data link connector is just below and to the left of steering column, just above where you put your left foot on floorboard.....yours will use a round 6 pin sae J1708 connector

There MIGHT be a yellow rocker switch next to it labeled ABS....but my 1999 ain't got it.
ABS light was on when I purchased coach.
I was however able to read ABS codes using a basic HD obd reader.....the ABS controller (computer) is not receiving a signal from any of the 4 wheel speed sensors. I checked ohm'ed the front sensors when I replaced ball joints and had the sensor out...they were good.

So my abs light is still on, ha-ha
Peace! Todd
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:58 PM   #4

I will look for something near the round data connector.
That connector is where I have the Scangauge D connected.

As far as the ABS, mine has been lit since I got the RV almost your years ago.
I do agree I am not worried from a performance standpoint.
Just curious what made the light on, and if it might be some simple fix.

thx Dale
Old 01-24-2019, 11:19 AM   #5

When my ABS light stayed on, my mechanic told me to use my pressure washer from the opposite side of the MH and thoroughly spray the entire back-side of the wheels. I did and the ABS light now only comes on when I start the MH. He said dirt and road grime can clog some of the tone-ring slots and give a false signal.His thinking saved me the cost of him diagnosing and correcting the problem.
He also cautioned me to be aware of wet brakes immediately after spraying the wheels.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:00 PM   #6

Ray, your guy was right on....on most air brake wheel ends the tone wheel can get yuky and cause a intermittent reading....I wish mine was that simple. I had the entire front hub/spindle off for ball replacement. Tone wheel (along with hub) were cleaned in hot bath ....
Mine needs abs controller.

I have to admit I have had a few foot to floor panic stops and ain't locked up wheels.... I'll probably come across a used controller in my line of work and swap it out for craps and giggles.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Ray, your guy was right on....on most air brake wheel ends the tone wheel can get yuky and cause a intermittent reading....I wish mine was that simple. I had the entire front hub/spindle off for ball replacement. Tone wheel (along with hub) were cleaned in hot bath ....
Mine needs abs controller.

I have to admit I have had a few foot to floor panic stops and ain't locked up wheels.... I'll probably come across a used controller in my line of work and swap it out for craps and giggles.
This is a quote from the Spartan Instrumentation Guide:

" The ABS warning Light illuminates
when the vehicle is started as a self-test. If an ABS fault has been cleared, the vehicle
speed must exceed 7 mph (10 km/h), for the light to go off if the ABS system is functioning normally".

I just checked for a used Spartan ABS module, $400 online. If mine fails it will stay that way, I've driven trucks before ABS was invented and never had a problem.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:24 PM   #8

Just spent a few minutes under the dash in the RV.
Mine has the round 9 pin data connector.
I see nothing under there that might resemble anything like a switch.

I guess I will just have to first learn how to diagnose the ABS sensors.

thx Dale
Old 01-27-2019, 02:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale70 View Post
Just spent a few minutes under the dash in the RV.

Mine has the round 9 pin data connector.

I see nothing under there that might resemble anything like a switch.

I guess I will just have to first learn how to diagnose the ABS sensors.

thx Dale
You sure about the 9 pin connector? That technology didn't appear till about 2005/06
They look a lot alike, location makes it tough as well.....
Perhaps take a cell phone pic so you can see it better.
My loot is on 6 pin J1708 diagnostic connector.

You can check sensor with a decent digital voltmeter. Find the sensor wire backside the wheel, follow the wiring towards the chassis, there's a connector just inside frame rail.
Unplug and You measure resistance, then if you want jack up that wheel, have someone turn tire as you measure Hz, faster it's spun more you'll generate.
I have specs at work, but if it's got ohms and a signal, I'll say it's good and move on to the next wheel.
Peace!
Old 01-29-2019, 09:15 PM   #10

Mackwrench ---

you are undoubtedly right although I have not rechecked.

The connector for the scangauge D must be 6 pin one side and nine pin on the other. With the 6 pin side connected I must be looking at the unconnected nine pins sticking out.

We leave for 8 nights of dry camping in Key West on Sunday with a military group -- -cannot wait -- I am ready to head out.

take care -- Dale

Tags
abs, switch