RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
AIR 3 Low PSI

05 (04?) Spartan MM chassis - last two stops where i have stopped for a week or more, when I go to crank the bus back up, the readout screams at me about AIR 3 Low - 3PSI (or 7 PSI)

The number immediately starts climbing, once it reachs about 45 PSI, the rear air gauge also begins to move - it always seems that on start up, my rear air is zapped down, but the front air is usually still above 65 - i figured it just maybe had to do with how much air it deflated to allow for unlevel parking once you level.. has me wondering now.

And what in the heck is AIR 3?

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Since you've got 2 gauges for front and rear air brake pressure, I wonder if the 3rd is for the pressure in the air springs? Are the air springs deflated when the alarm sounds? Just a guess, my older rig doesn't have a readout display, just idiot lights.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:05 AM   #3

Your model year chassis may have 3 air tanks? 1 or FRONT is always the air brake supply tank, 2 or REAR is always the suspension and accessories. You may have 3 tanks. The regulators are setup so that air supply from the engine air compressor will always fill the primary (tank 1 or FRONT however it's labeled) first, and once reaching 65psi or so it wlll allow tank 2 (and in your case tank 3) to then be filled.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #4

I had a similar situation where the secondary tank would loose air. It turned out to be a leaking rear ride adjustment valve.
randyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
technically the display read LOW AIRP3 - i had just never seen this one before - I had seen LOW AIR from leveling, just never AIRP3 - can't seem to find any reference to what it means. It's probably not a problem, but...
Old 10-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #6

Jay,
Was that on your medallion gauge to the left of the steering wheel? Interesting.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:04 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yep, thought it might be my parking brake or something.

The rear air gauge on the cluster matches the PSI build on the LCD screen up until 65, the the rear air gauge stops while P3 continues to build to about 69, then the rear air gauge starts again from 65 and as it builds, the buzzers stop
Old 10-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #8

Maybe not related to your question, but the typical air system on busses trucks and trailers will have one air tank per axle as a standard, not counting the number one or wet tank, or tanks.

This helps to eliminate some of the time lag we experience in an air brake system. As noted above, the number one tank fills first, then when at a preset pressure another valve opens to allow air flow to your other tanks. This is why you see a split in pressures. The fact you see a lower pressure in one side indicates more leakage from that side of the system. Your system is working fine to make up the difference, but I would keep an eye on it, and watch for excessive leakage.
Just my two cents
DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:14 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyw View Post
I had a similar situation where the secondary tank would loose air. It turned out to be a leaking rear ride adjustment valve.
I have a 2005 DSDP 4009 and have noticed I have a leaking rear air leveling valve did you have to replace the valve or where you able to repair it
Medic318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:07 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
no leakage, although I did have leakage - replaced a few valves, no problem.

Maybe I'm crazy or drunk, I just remember the thing saying REAR AIR LOW (when it was in fact low from leveling) and after the valve change now says AIRP3 LOW - just don't recall seeing AIRP3 ever before..... Who knows, doesn't seem to be a problem really.

I really just wanted to make sure my parking brake was working properly and I didn't have some other leak that didn't physically show on the gauges or in the air bags deflating.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #11

The rear height adjustment valve was not serviceable and I had to replace it. On the advice of a HD Mechanic I spraying WD40 into the old valve to see if it would dislodge any dirt that might be in the valve, but to no availe. It is not hard to swap out and it isn't expensive to purchase a new valve, just ensure that the airbags are deflated and air is drained from the tanks prior to going under the coach and working on the system.

randyw is offline   Reply With Quote