RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Air Bags deflating

I don't know of any leaks but the airbags go down overnight. Is this normal on a Marlin with a Spartan chassis (Summit)? They made Marlins for only one year and then they became merged into a Tradewind, so they are probably similar. The tanks stay at about 100 psi and the coach airs back up to 130 psi within 3 minutes when the engine is on.

I have checked for leaks and can't find any. There is no Dump valve or switch on this one. So when leveling, the bags are inflated but most say you should level with "dumped" air bags to lessen the required height adjustments for leveling. How does National handle this situation? Should the bags deflate when parked for a while or is there a leak? Do I have bad air bags? The levelers are Power Gear and are NOT connected with the air system as far as I can tell.

Thanks

John

zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
How have you checked for leaks? Did you put soapy water on the air bags? all joints? ride height control valves? The fact that you don't lose more air from the tanks points to a leak beyond the air tanks.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
How have you checked for leaks? Did you put soapy water on the air bags? all joints? ride height control valves? The fact that you don't lose more air from the tanks points to a leak beyond the air tanks.
I sprayed soapy water on everything I could find that looked like it was connected to the air system. I earlier found an obvious leak (with the soap) at the pressure protection valve. I had a truck shop put a new one in since it was so hard to get to and I did not want any loose connections under there. No bubbles that I can find now but the bags go down over night. I don't know just how fast they go down but they do. Driving is ok.

How did National plan for us to level with no dump valve (switch)? I can level just fine but it's with the air up.
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
You can level just fine without a dump valve. The only advantage to using a dump valve is you can allow the RV to go down before you jack it up level. I have one but don't always use it unless I think it will help lower the step.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Leak down overnight is not a big deal, and is not unusual. My HWH leveling system is tied to my air bags (Spartan MM chassis) and when I initiate leveling the first thing that happens is the air dump. Unless on an unlevel nose-low site, my step is always lower when leveled than it is at normal ride height.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #6

My 1998 Spartan MM chassis that the Eagle rides on does not have an air dump switch.

It will always slowly lose air when parked. Rate of loss depends upon environmental factors from what I have observed.

I think this is normal for the Spartan MM chassis built prior to air dump valves becoming the standard.

Your Marlin may be like the pre-99 Eagles (i.e. no dump valve and designed to gradually release the air when parked).

I also have the Power Gear levelers and have never had an issue extending them with the bags full.

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #7

I had the same problem and Cummins replaced the rear air control valve that caused the problem.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
This sounds too simple to work, but it did for me. Remember that even within the same make and same model things may be different.

I had that "sinking" problem. Five days and bags were down. Did leak check, checked air tap valves(pump your tires, or for when you need a tow) etc.

I have air horns, I did not realize until recently that there was a switch that disabled the air horns and left the normal horns in use. My guess is that the switch disables a solenoid that send air pressure to the air horn. For me that switch had been always in the on position.
I turned it off and for two weeks I have lost only a 1/2 an inch while sitting parked.

Maybe the solenoid was not closing or whatever... it worked for me and I have scratched that off my "to solve" list on a new to me Newmar.

Obviously for anyone with no air horns, this is not a problem.