Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wink air brake kit

Can any one tell me what is in the air brake tow kit for 350 dollars from Spartan.
VietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
It contains directions, a small air storage tank, air hose, fittings and mounting hardware for mounting the air tank. Spartan "requires" it for any toad brake system that ties into the chassis air brake system. The SMI Air Force 1 includes the equivilant in their system. You will have people say that you can directly tie into the air system and don't need the storage tank, Spartan does not agree.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:27 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
The Roadmaster Brakemaster has a small air tank that mounts behind the grill of the toad ...recommended to drain it periodically & chk for moisture/water. Whatever else it does in normal use, that tank would power the break-away braking. I presume that is the kind of thing the Spartan kit is, but mounted on the coach? It sounds reasonable, but I've never heard of the kit, and never heard of such a thing being required/recommended. Is this a relatively recent Spartan thing?

For coaches w/o air brakes there is an additional tank w/small compressor to completely power the Brakemaster system. That would be over-kill on an air coach.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the feed back. I tied directly in to the coach air at the rear brake pancake on the freightliner, Freightliner does not condone cutting in any where, got to do what you got to do. Just keep line tied up so it can not get damaged from road trash.Brake master is the system I am moving to the Spartan. I to have a small tank in the toad for break away. Don,t know if I will spend the extra bucks or do the same thing on the spartan. Any suggestions?
Old 01-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
I've had my Brakemaster system on my '02 Spartan Mountain Master chassis since July 2004 with over 50k towing miles. I paid to have it installed, so don't know exastly how they did it, though I recall some folks saying in that time period that there was a factory tap designed for that purpose. I still performs flawlessly, and I have had zero air related problems with the coach.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #6

I have a Spartan chassis also with the Roadmaster braking kit installed. Mine was installed to one of the service ports at the rear where the right and left brake lines come off the chassis. No problems with the install at all on mine. You don't cut into the chassis system at all --- just remove a screw in plug and then screw in the Brakemaster adapter. Me thinks that someone may be "protecting" themselves from a law suit by saying the tank is required --- if a failure without the tank, they can say "air brake system was compromised by the install." JMHO
Old 01-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VietVet View Post
Thanks for the feed back. I tied directly in to the coach air at the rear brake pancake on the freightliner, Freightliner does not condone cutting in any where, got to do what you got to do. Just keep line tied up so it can not get damaged from road trash.Brake master is the system I am moving to the Spartan. I to have a small tank in the toad for break away. Don,t know if I will spend the extra bucks or do the same thing on the spartan. Any suggestions?
I don't think anyone would condom splicing in like you appear to have done. The proper connection would be to plumb into the rear axle brake relay valve. It's not that hard to do.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
As far as Spartan chassis is concerned EVERYONE that I have talked to who works with Spartan say the tank system is the ONLY correct and safe way to tie into the air brake lines. It may be a liabillty issue with Spartan but it is also a liabilty issue with me. Any time you chage the intended design of a system there are changes that happen, some you are not aware of because you are not familar with the system you modified and you did not desing the system. So what do you say if you are involved in a accident and the others involved find out you did an unapproved modification the air brake system? In this "lets sue everybody" society I don't want to deal with that. I have the SMI Air Force 1 and SMI has their own Spartan approved "ping tank".
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:00 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 32000 lb gross with only 21000 lb actual . The breaks can handle 32000 lb the toad only comes in at 2200 lb why do I need aux breaks any way . Just a thought, my state only requires breaks on a trailer at 10000 lb. My math says I am with in the limits. Whats the difference a tandem trailer or a toad.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi VietVet,
Go to http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/the-p...ing-19087.html and read post #1. It is written by a trained and skilled professional. Post #1 can answer your question.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I gotta fess up and correct myself, I went thru the Brakemaster installation guide and if there is no available port in the relay then the next option is to "tee" into a service line, meaning an air line going to one of the brake chambers.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
I gotta fess up and correct myself, I went thru the Brakemaster installation guide and if there is no available port in the relay then the next option is to "tee" into a service line, meaning an air line going to one of the brake chambers.
I agree. What is the difference, so long as the line is protected from damage.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi VietVet,
Go to http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/the-p...ing-19087.html and read post #1. It is written by a trained and skilled professional. Post #1 can answer your question.
Good info. But what I am saying i have got enough brakes to handle the mass at the force, Do not rely on out side forces to make up for poor driving skills. ie following to close or driving to fast for conditions. Professorial driver with CDL combination 80,000 lb gross.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi VietVet,
I have asked SMI to respond to your question directly.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote