Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2014, 06:49 AM   #1

Air Horn works low Psi but not full psi?

Hey guys, I have looked for answers and have had no luck so here it goes.
I have a 98 H/R Imperial. It has a (Momentary) air horn switch on the left upper dash. It also has a horn button on the Steering wheel that (only) Controls the Electric car horns.. lol lol
The Air Horns will only activate when the PSI is low, like 50-80 psi. Once the air gets to full operating PSI, the realy under the dash still works, but the air horns will not.

My questions are this:
1. IS the Air Horn switch on the Dash supposed to be Momentary or switched as in (ON-OFF)?

2. Is the Steeting wheel button supposed to activate the Air Horns as well as the electric car horns? (Which are a joke on a MH!) lol

3. Why do the air horns only work at low PSI, but not at operating psi?

I am thinking questions 1 and 2 are the reason of question 3, but no one has been able to help me..

Any help would be greatly appriciated.
hkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #2

I don't have a Monaco, but I think they are all mostly the same. My air horn switch is on or off. When on, if I press the horn on the steering wheel, I get air horn. If it's off, the "car" horns work (which I agree are a complete joke).

The only thing I can think of is you need to remove the electric solenoid that controls the air horn and clean it. Maybe when it's under high pressure, the electric solenoid can't open. You should be able to easily find that under the hood in the front. That has to be where the problem is.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:08 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Here's a link to some previous threads that may assist.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Air+...earch=irv2.com

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:31 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Air horns are reed insturments, Like a Saxaphone or clarinet, only they use a metal reed.. If the reed is bent slightly, or if it's rusted, then sometimes when you hit it with FULL PRESSURE, it sticks and does not vibrate.

Whistles do not have reeds and thus work better with higher pressure.

You need to replace the trumpets.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:46 AM   #5

It's strange because (tested) the realy will show power going out to horn at low psi and the horn works. (Tested) at Full psi and the realy works but not sending power to horn.
I am thinking it may have to do with the switch itself? Its momentary which makes no sense to have to take your hands off the wheel in order to activate the air horn. I will look to see if I can find a switch, but I'll try and hold the switch (on) and push the steering wheel button and see what happens because I have not tried that yet. lol
Thank you for the input so far guys.