Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Air not dumping

This has probably been discussed but I couldn't find it. Sorry if it's a repost.

New coach with Spartan chassis & HWH system will no longer dump air so we can bring the jacks down. The problem just started. We normally use auto-level, but this time it didn't dump. Then we tried the manual dump and nothing happened. We hear a clicking sound when trying to dump. The jacks will still come down after a delay.

Any suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2018, 10:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lce3 View Post
This has probably been discussed but I couldn't find it. Sorry if it's a repost.

New coach with Spartan chassis & HWH system will no longer dump air so we can bring the jacks down. The problem just started. We normally use auto-level, but this time it didn't dump. Then we tried the manual dump and nothing happened. We hear a clicking sound when trying to dump. The jacks will still come down after a delay.

Any suggestions?
It's time to invoke the warranty. However if you choose to DIY, contact irv2.com member azpete and request his advice. He works for HWH and freely offers assistance in diagnosing a problem.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:02 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
It's time to invoke the warranty. However if you choose to DIY, contact irv2.com member azpete and request his advice. He works for HWH and freely offers assistance in diagnosing a problem.
Ended up playing with it enough that it eventually dumped but still no idea what the problem was.

Thanks for referral to azpete. Good to know.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:56 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If my air is low mine will not dump. Seems odd to air up so I can air down.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:15 AM   #5
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lce3 View Post
Ended up playing with it enough that it eventually dumped but still no idea what the problem was.

Thanks for referral to azpete. Good to know.
I would still recommend u contact him via this forum and go over what happened. As previously sated by others, he is that rare individual who has offered his HWH related knowledge to help members of this forum.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:24 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
Thank you for sharing this as I think this may have been our problem. We had been in the same CG and after a problem with our hydraulic fluid leaking (and repair), we tested jacks. It was after that that we couldn't dump again. I think after continuing to try things we did get more air in. After that is when we were able to dump.

Kind of surprise that our trouble shooting call to Newmar & Spartan didn't have someone suggesting that. Will keep this in mind if it happens again.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:54 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
It was explained to me like this: "The system operates through a series of valves in the air lines and you need air pressure to move the valves." Kinda made sense after he put it that way!
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:17 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes that does make sense. I have also had to hit auto store even though I never used the jacks and the travel mode light was on.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:23 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post

It was explained to me like this: "The system operates through a series of valves in the air lines and you need air pressure to move the valves." Kinda made sense after he put it that way!
Our gauges were showing aired up but, in retrospect, it seemed to need must a little more. After thinking about it, seems similar to getting a better tank dump the closer it is to full.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
The master dump valve on our Spartan chassis (located behind the generator) is electrically controlled and pnuematically operated. The valve requires a minimum of 100psi (as shown on the air gauges) to operate.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:41 AM   #11

I took the dash screws out and looked behind the HWH control panel and saw a two wire bundle coming from the HWH control panel. I put a toggle switch in line and now have a toggle switch that I can flip and dump the air. Sometimes we stop at a rest area and just want to dump the air and not put the jacks down and this works great. I know you can fiddle with putting the jacks down and then stopping the process to just dump the air. I find this switch much easier and when I put the RV in my low garage, I can dump the sir and drive it in. YMMV.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjacob View Post
I took the dash screws out and looked behind the HWH control panel and saw a two wire bundle coming from the HWH control panel. I put a toggle switch in line and now have a toggle switch that I can flip and dump the air. Sometimes we stop at a rest area and just want to dump the air and not put the jacks down and this works great. I know you can fiddle with putting the jacks down and then stopping the process to just dump the air. I find this switch much easier and when I put the RV in my low garage, I can dump the sir and drive it in. YMMV.
My HWH panel has an air dump only switch built-in.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:03 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I also have a manual dump button.

Tags
air dump, leveling, suspension