Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2016, 06:15 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Air Suspension not inflating

I went to move the coach this weekend and the air bags did not inflate. I have the 1998 Mountain Master 240 that is on a 1998 American Eagle. I started the engine and turned on the leveling jacks and brought up the jacks.But the air suspension never inflated.The air gage is reading 100lbs.I’m new to this coach and diesels and not sure where everything is located, but I’m mechanically inclined.
So does anyone know where to start trouble shooting this issue? I’m thinking to check the fuses, then the air tanks, air values and air dryer.Anyone tell me where these are located.Also any documents on the chassis would be great.Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
JWLSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2016, 06:34 AM   #2

Hi!

Something to try.....

Wait till the air builds before you retract the jacks. The valve that opens to air up the bags is air powered. If you have low or no air pressure it does not open.

If you have already retracted with no air pressure,,,, and the valve didn't open, the fix is to hit the retract jacks button again. This will again signal the valve to open....

The above works on my coach.

L.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:36 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
I ran the engine and got the air up to 120lbs. I get the jacks down and they touched the ground. I then brought the jacks up and powered the jacks off. The air was at 120lbs but the bags did not inflate. Is there a fuse I can check, I'd do where is it.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:47 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLSC View Post
I ran the engine and got the air up to 120lbs. I get the jacks down and they touched the ground. I then brought the jacks up and powered the jacks off. The air was at 120lbs but the bags did not inflate. Is there a fuse I can check, I'd do where is it.
Sounds like you need to replace the rear air ride valve........had to replace mine last year, same problem, would not air up......mine actually had some air blowing by the air ride valve. Bought mine from https://rvchassisparts.com:8443/apar...is/runApp?id=5
They are great guy's to call and work with....
Old 10-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #5

OP, is both front and rear bags deflated? on the air leveling valve you should see 2 air lines, one from the air system the other goes to the air bags. Using a 5/8 wrench, remove the system air line from the valve and be sure there's air there. If so, then leveling valve failed. If both rear and front are deflated then you may have a hyd leveling control issue. I think you can get trouble shooting info from mfg wad site of the brand of levelers you have....
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:34 AM   #6

John,
Who is the manufacturer of the Jack System??? Reason I ask is that on my coach, I need to retract the Jacks and leave the system on. There is a delay system involved. So, you might want to leave the jack system on after the jacks are up. Also, many people, myself included, turn the coach on, let it build up pressure, then retract the jacks.
Drew
OldHatt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:44 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Now to find the issue

machwrench, thanks for the info. I have the Powergear Jack system. After more thought I remember that the front airbags have been slow since I got the coach and now they don't airup at all. I'm leaning towards either the leveling valve or the hyd leveling control and not to individual components as all bags are not airing up.

So now how do I trouble shoot the issue to isolate the bad part. I believe this is the leveling valve, if it is which line do I take off to check for air, the upper left blue line. Any idea how to check the hyd control panel. Also the black body in the picture looks fairly new from the marks.

Thanks eveyone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161004_065132.jpg
Views:	1353
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	140683  
Old 10-04-2016, 05:49 AM   #8

I have the same 1998 American Eagle. I have a separate electrical switch on the dash (left) that I can use for inflating and deflating the airbags. If you have such a switch maybe it is in the deflate position?
I hope you find the problem; as I would probablyrun into the same problem later.
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:46 AM   #9

Spartan Chassis
air suspension not airing up

My coach had a similar problem. The air bags got very slow to air up and at times would not. Replaced air dryer desiccant cartridge--problem solved. Most overlooked maintenance item.
Travel Supreme #40DS01-ISL-400
Jeep Sahara Unlimited-2010
gptexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #10

JWLSC, the valve in the picture is not the leveling valve, that's the dump valve that's connected electrical to the jack system and dash dump switch (if equipped)
The leveling valve will be mounted very near suspension, you'll see a steel rod connected to the valve and suspension. Probably mounted in front of steer axle.

Go under coach and make sure rear bags are deflated as well.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:28 AM   #11

Spartan Chassis
Is it possible that the dump valve is stuck open as all air bags are deflated. If so any one know how to trouble shoot. I have emailed Spartan and Power Gear on the issue.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #12

One of the solenoids could be stuck. Can you check if power is on any of the wires at that valve?
Perhaps lightly tap the solenoids...if I had to guess, the supply line is the top left, next to the exhaust line...
Old 10-04-2016, 06:14 PM   #13

Hopefully this won't confuse matters more, lol

http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...2-L0051-00.pdf
Old 10-05-2016, 05:49 AM   #14

JWLSC,
The Valve in the picture is the Master Dump Valve. It controls the valves at the wheels. You will either have 2 or 3 wheel valves (in most cases) Look near the wheels for those. Highly doubtful that the Master Valve is bad. It is most likely a wheel valve. Also, As has been said, have you replaced the Desiccant Filter on the Air Dryer?? That single item will cause your problem and many people don't even realize they have one.
Drew
OldHatt45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension