RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2019, 01:00 PM   #71

If you can't fing any cables under the front wheels your best bet is to crawl under and look for the tanks. The front tank is normally a double or siamese tank the rear is single when you find them there should be a petcock somewhere on the bottom of the tanks. Hope this helps.

olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2019, 04:32 PM   #72

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by olcarguy View Post
If you can't fing any cables under the front wheels your best bet is to crawl under and look for the tanks. The front tank is normally a double or siamese tank the rear is single when you find them there should be a petcock somewhere on the bottom of the tanks. Hope this helps.
And while down there looking around, one can just do the bleeding from there and especially if someone has since removed the lanyards.

tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:02 AM   #73

From my understanding, on Spartan chassis, the drain lanyards are behind the passenger front wheel, depending on the year they may even be colour coded (silver for wet tank, green for primary tank and red for secondary), if you find them they should be pulled in that order. If you still can't find them, you have to crawl/slide under the front of the coach, the tanks should be behind the generator. You can trace the lanyards from there, or add new ones. On mine there are only 2 physical tanks, but one is divided.
The tanks should be labeled, but if they are not you will need an assistant to watch the gauges while you release a bit of air out of each tank to see what gauge moves. You can then label the tanks with chalk, paint or anything similar. the tank that causes no movement in the gauges is the wet tank.
Don't think the tanks on my 05 had ever been drained either and when I did release the lanyards the secondary valve would not close, had to slide under and give it some assistance.

Hope this helps
Dougjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:28 AM   #74

We are all right in our answers....my 92 spartan chassis has a rear wet tank just in front of the air drier. ..the front tank is a double... I only have one lanyard and it drains the front brake side of the double tank. Best thing to do is to slide under and look to see what you have.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”93 Coachmen Pusher 38' 8.3Cummings, 6sp Alison. "Roy"
Old 03-27-2019, 03:06 PM   #75

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the replies, I was able to finally find them right you all said they should be. They were covered in mud, I did bleed them ok. Thanks again for the help
Old 04-12-2019, 10:25 PM   #76

Spartan Chassis
My two cents on this topic

I know this is a bit late and repetitive but, on my 2017 DSDP 4018 Spartan, I have three lanyards in the front passenger (navigator) side wheel well. I aired up my coach and pulled on all three, after laying a large pieces of new cardboard just under the tanks' valves, and no moisture to speak of. I think that is in large part because I live in Southern California and when I have traveled to Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, it has been mostly dry. Some rain and cold temperatures but, nothing crazy or too humid. I give them a pull for 3-5 seconds every 2-3 months. I will make it a point to do the procedure every month when we head out to Oregon and Washington and then east for a bit before we hit some mid western states on the way back down. I am sure that for the folk back east and up north that would require a more regular practice. In any event, for what it's worth, my lanyards are easier to get to with a rod and bent hook on one end and a makeshift handle on the other. Easy to store and easy to use.
2015 Chevrolet Silverado, CC, LB, 4X4 (Toad #2)
2015 Honda Fit, Manual Trans (Toad #1)
fleent1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:18 PM   #77

For the most part if your air dryer is working corectly you wont gat any moisture. Draining the tanks is more to check to make surethey contunue to fungtion properly and when to get service.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”93 Coachmen Pusher 38' 8.3Cummings, 6sp Alison. "Roy"
Old 05-22-2019, 08:21 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
The store at the Spartan plant had Camco awning openers for sale that some folks were purchasing to pull the lanyards. They are telescoping, so would fit easily in the entrance step storage area.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZDERX0..._5PURBb3NNM0HC

It’s on my list to purchase when I return home from my Fall travels.

Had the collapsible one for our 5th wheel and it failed within a few months, good concept but poorly made.
EVsCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:48 PM   #79

Spartan Chassis
Lanyards on 450 K-2

They are located directly behind the front passenger side wheel. On my 2017 DSDP Spartan K-2 450 there are 3 at that location. I agree that it is wise to purge tanks at least twice per year.
fleent1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:05 AM   #80

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleent1980 View Post
They are located directly behind the front passenger side wheel. On my 2017 DSDP Spartan K-2 450 there are 3 at that location. I agree that it is wise to purge tanks at least twice per year.

Same location on my 2018

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:55 PM   #81

Alright, you guys got me looking for a third lanyard. I crawled underneath and discovered the third lanyard was never installed, one end of the double tank has a manual drain valve, but the eyelet on the frame where the 2 existing lanyards are is not large enough to thread a third cable the same size through, obviously the automatic drains have been performing as designed.
I called Spartan and asked about this, the reply was "don't be concerned, for an RV chassis just change the air dryer desiccant filter every 3 years."
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:22 PM   #82

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ray, I would want to know which tank doesn't have a drain lanyard. If it's the wet tank, there could be a lot of moisture/ water laying in the bottom, that likely wont reach the dry tanks due to the fittings feeding the dry tanks being at the top of the wet tank.
Your wet tank is the most important to have a drain.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Alright, you guys got me looking for a third lanyard. I crawled underneath and discovered the third lanyard was never installed, one end of the double tank has a manual drain valve, but the eyelet on the frame where the 2 existing lanyards are is not large enough to thread a third cable the same size through, obviously the automatic drains have been performing as designed.
I called Spartan and asked about this, the reply was "don't be concerned, for an RV chassis just change the air dryer desiccant filter every 3 years."
It's interesting the different feedback people have gotten both from Spartan and from others, like Diesel shops, about whether or not to pull the lanyards or how often to do it.

I've heard multiple people say diesel shops have told them to never pull it, as it's more likely to fail/get clogged while opening the valve than to get water in the lines.

Then, I've read that some at Spartan have said to pull daily, some monthly, and now you are told, don't worry about it at all.
tnedator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:37 PM   #84

We have owned Spartan chassis for 22 years on our Newmar motor homes. When you don't drain air lanyards you could cause big problems for your air brakes and air bag assembly. If you have fluid in the air tanks that is when you are going to have problems down the road. When you do have more then 1/4 cup of moisture coming out from any lanyards you need to change air drier. Would suggest put lanyard on air tank that doesn't have one right now.

tom chelbana is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, tank