Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2018, 07:32 AM   #29

Just a REMINDER.....don't forget to drain ALL the air from the tanks BEFORE removing the drain valves......

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”93 Coachmen Pusher 38' 8.3Cummings, 6sp Alison. "Roy"
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2018, 10:17 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
Pull it out, clean and inspect it, if it passes inspection, lube with WD-40 and reinstall using Teflon tape on threads.

DTW
I suppose having an extra valve on hand, just in case, may not be a bad idea.

Will add this no my growing list of things to check when coach comes out of hibernation.

I suspect it may be a bit sticky from not being used.

I will be giving them a bit more exercise than they are used to.

Will check all three, and yes tanks will be completely emptied.

Is there a difference in quality of the Spartan supplied valves as compared to what is available in the aftermarket?
Dougjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:38 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougjpr View Post
I suppose having an extra valve on hand, just in case, may not be a bad idea.

Will add this no my growing list of things to check when coach comes out of hibernation.

I suspect it may be a bit sticky from not being used.

I will be giving them a bit more exercise than they are used to.

Will check all three, and yes tanks will be completely emptied.

Is there a difference in quality of the Spartan supplied valves as compared to what is available in the aftermarket?
These valves are not a Spartan product, you can purchase them at any truck parts supply store, or any parts store that carries truck or bus air system parts.

There are different types of valves also, some that don't have a lanyard but instead a butterfly handle that you would have to turn to release the air pressure.

Pros: With that type you simply twist the valve key open and it drains the tank without you having to hold it open like the lanyard.

It will never stick open like the pull type.

You can buy one at any auto parts store, Lowes, or HD in an emergency.

Cons: you have to reach under or crawl under to turn the key to open it.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:25 AM   #32

I replaced the valves yesterday and installed the lanyard kit http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/getti...ml#post4022037
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancslad View Post
If you are operating in humid climates, I would pull the lanyards every time I fuelled up. In winter frozen lines mean no fun.
Lancslad,
That sounds like a good practice, but I can tell you from experience, there are times and conditions where pulling your valves in cold weather will cause your valve to stick open and cause you an excursion under your coach or truck to re-seat the valve.

What happens is as the air is escaping from the tank, it chills from the rapid loss of pressure just as a hand held paint can.

This moisture builds up at the point it escapes from the valve and freezes, the venturi effect.

I'm sure if you've been successful with this practice in all weather conditions, it's because you've taken very good care of your air dryer and filter.

My point is, your statement points out the importance of proper maintenance of the air system.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:44 PM   #34

Spartan Chassis
Not to be condescending but maybe everyone doesn't know what the valve looks like. My coach does not have the lanyards so attached is what mine looks like. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6039.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	191204  
gravelroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:43 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelroad View Post
Not to be condescending but maybe everyone doesn't know what the valve looks like. My coach does not have the lanyards so attached is what mine looks like. Hope this helps
The one your showing is not only a manual drain valve, but an automatic moisture ejection valve. Anytime the tank pressure changes by a few psi, it purges.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:32 AM   #36

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The one your showing is not only a manual drain valve, but an automatic moisture ejection valve. Anytime the tank pressure changes by a few psi, it purges.
Good point. I was attempting to point at the valve release but may have confused some. The area is a little busy on my coach so limit access.
gravelroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:01 AM   #37

2018 K-2 has all 3 lanyards in the passenger side/front wheel well. Proper order to pull them in per Spartan Academy is Silver/Green/Red - this is to verify the check valves in the system are working properly.

They are easy to reach with an awning hook or similar, and I purge them prior to each departure.
LostDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:43 AM   #38

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Here is a photo of the air lanyards from the Spartan booth at the Tampa RV show. The wheel is the front passenger side.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4095.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	395.1 KB
ID:	194487
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:56 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Here is a photo of the air lanyards from the Spartan booth at the Tampa RV show. The wheel is the front passenger side.Attachment 194487

Love this picture, wish Newmar put some masking tape over those pretty loops before spraying under coating.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:54 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Love this picture, wish Newmar put some masking tape over those pretty loops before spraying under coating.
I know this is an older thread, but had to reply to this. I was looking for the lanyards on my Ventana (K2-400) and could just barely make out the green vs. red, since they have been painted with the under coating spray.

Also, I only have two lanyards, not three. So, did one get pulled back through the frame, or do I not have a wet tank?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:59 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
BTW, paint thinner works really well on the undercoating that covers the loops.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:16 AM   #42

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I know this is an older thread, but had to reply to this. I was looking for the lanyards on my Ventana (K2-400) and could just barely make out the green vs. red, since they have been painted with the under coating spray.

Also, I only have two lanyards, not three. So, did one get pulled back through the frame, or do I not have a wet tank?
If you'll crawl down under for a looksee, you'll find the lanyards attached on the bottom of the tank or tanks. Tracing and re-routing them if necessary is pretty easy.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, tank