Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #1
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Air tank lanyards

Where do I find on my chassis (K2-450HP)?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Should be two. Look inside front passenger wheelwell. That's where they are on my Spartan chassis.
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #3

You may have Auto Dump valves in which case there are no lanyards. A call to Spartan with your VIN will tell you for sure.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:01 AM   #4

Easiest way to find them is to look under the coach. The Air tanks are about in the middle just behind the Front wheels. You might have to crawl under the coach, in which case Please be careful and block the coach up so you don't get crushed if anything happens. And there should be 3 lanyards. 1 for the Wet tank and 1 each for the tanks that supply air to the brakes and suspension. As dennis45 said, your coach may not have them if Spartan put in automatic dump valves. Others have reported that the lanyards are in various places such as the forward basement compartments, generator compartment, etc.
OldHatt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:35 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHatt45 View Post
Easiest way to find them is to look under the coach. The Air tanks are about in the middle just behind the Front wheels. You might have to crawl under the coach, in which case Please be careful and block the coach up so you don't get crushed if anything happens. And there should be 3 lanyards. 1 for the Wet tank and 1 each for the tanks that supply air to the brakes and suspension. As dennis45 said, your coach may not have them if Spartan put in automatic dump valves. Others have reported that the lanyards are in various places such as the forward basement compartments, generator compartment, etc.
Sounds like a lot of work for an old fat guy like me!
I like Dennis' idea better.

Cheers
Old 01-12-2018, 08:46 AM   #6

I just replaced one of my "Heated Moisture Ejection Valves" that are on the two tanks in the middle/front of my old Spartan chassis. They have a hole in the lever where I guess a lanyard would fit so you could manually dump the moisture.
What is a "Wet" tank? Never heard of that. I have 2 tanks only there and both have the Moisture Ejector valves on them. Maybe the newer chassis have a 3rd tank up front?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:04 AM   #7

The term "wet tank" has been around for awhile. I first heard the term 44 years ago. The wet tank is the first tank that heated air from the compressor enters.
The heated air could cause some condensation as the the air in the tank cools down.

You might think there are two air tanks under your coach but they can be internally separated into two or more tanks, one being the wet tank.

I have 3 drain valves at the front bumper area of our Intrigue. They are a PITA to access, IMO, but I've never seen any moisture come out of them. Having the air dryer must help.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:06 PM   #8

We have had a 04 Essex with the Spartan k2 chassis and the 500 ISM engine. When the coach was new and the first 5 or 6 years come out of the 3 air tanks. But over the years even changing the air drier filter we have been getting water form drains. This water is bad for brakes, air bags and all other air parts. Would recommend at least twice a year pulling 3 drain valves.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:12 PM   #9

If you are operating in humid climates, I would pull the lanyards every time I fuelled up. In winter frozen lines mean no fun.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:07 AM   #10

Spartan explained to me that the valves I have eject moisture automatically. When I replaced one a week ago I looked at the part that screws up into the tank and it has a screened sensor that sits up a little into the tank. They are also heated so I guess that must help. The old valve I removed was identical to the new one so these have been around a long time I guess.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:41 AM   #11

While I really like it that I have automatic moisture ejectors as you do Rick, maybe I'm old fashioned, but I like to make sure that there is no moisture building up. So I installed lanyards for that little bit of extra assurance that everything is OK. It was a cheap and easy thing to put in for that piece of mind.

Drew
2003 Travel Supreme 40DS02
OldHatt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:28 PM   #12

I would agree with your thinking - it's certainly not going to hurt anything (maybe if you're directly under the valve when you pull the lanyard ;-) ).
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:36 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I pull all three lanyards after every trip we go on when I am putting the motorhome away. It's better to be safe than sorry and only takes a couple minutes. Yes, I have an air dryer as well, but if any water gets in the air system, it will cost big bucks to fix. A couple minutes of my time is free.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:03 AM   #14
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
Where do I find on my chassis (K2-450HP)?
Lots of non-germane comments. Anybody out there actually have an answer to my question?

Tags
air, tank