Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Could not even begin to imagine getting my brake drums on my Motor Coach to 900-1500 degrees Smokin.........

Temperatures indicated are at the lining/drum interface. Temperatures are approximate.)

550F to 650F - Brake resin odor is present
850F - Brakes begin to smoke
1,100F - Brake oxidation occurs at parts of the brake open to air rushing by
1,250F - Drums become cherry red internally
Above 1,250F - Danger of run-away due to excess drum expansion
Source(s):

Carlisle Motion Control Industries

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Easy, easy ,easy here : Wheel Protector Black Plastic 10 Hole for Alum Wheels | eBay

THIS BLACK PLASTIC PIECE IS USED TO KEEP ALUMINUM WHEELS FROM MAGNETIZING TOGETHER. IT IS THE 10 HOLE TYPE WITH 1 INCH DIAMETER HOLES.
My Coach came from the Spartan factory with these in between the back side of the aluminum outer rim and the front of the inner steel rim. I just bought new ones when I changed out the original tires while they were off.
Funny!!
Aluminum wheels are not magnetic so there is no way then can "magnetize together".

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:43 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Funny!!
Aluminum wheels are not magnetic so there is no way then can "magnetize together".
Glad it humored you, they are referring to the electrolysis process that happens when two dissimilar metals are together, my wheels were tough to get off due to the corrosion around the studs (white crusted powder) and the same thing happens when aluminum is in contact with steel. By magnetizing I believe the "quoted phrase" meant "welded together. By all means ,don't use them just due to my posting.Good luck and happy trails.

Dissimilar metals and alloys have different electrode potentials and when two or more come into contact in an electrolyte, one metal acts as anode and the other as cathode. The potential difference between the dissimilar metals is the driving force for the accelerated attack on the anode member(your aluminum wheel) of the galvanic couple. The anode metal dissolves into the electrolyte, and deposition is formed on the cathodic metal.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #18

I believe the best way to help reduce or eliminate electrolysis is to make sure the steel wheel has a nice coat of paint on the mating surface to the outer aluminum wheel. This usually means that it's a D.I.Y. project as most shops will have a lot of time involved just to clean and paint the inner wheel resulting in a large bill.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:37 AM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Glad it humored you, they are referring to the electrolysis process that happens when two dissimilar metals are together, my wheels were tough to get off due to the corrosion around the studs (white crusted powder) and the same thing happens when aluminum is in contact with steel. By magnetizing I believe the "quoted phrase" meant "welded together. By all means ,don't use them just due to my posting.Good luck and happy trails.

Dissimilar metals and alloys have different electrode potentials and when two or more come into contact in an electrolyte, one metal acts as anode and the other as cathode. The potential difference between the dissimilar metals is the driving force for the accelerated attack on the anode member(your aluminum wheel) of the galvanic couple. The anode metal dissolves into the electrolyte, and deposition is formed on the cathodic metal.
As a retired engineer I fully realize what happens with dissimilar metals, however that's not what they said!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Duplacolor bed liner paint in a spray can, torque the wheels down wile it's still tacky. I do that on any alloy on steel wheel mounting surface. It's a trick I learned from a UPS tractor mechanic.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Well it's been almost a Year since I first posted about switching over to New Wheels and Tires.

As it happened I was not able to swing the upgrade last year because it turned out that I had Budd style wheels, which turned out to be hard to find and super expensive.

This Year I needed to have the Brakes serviced.

Discovered that My favorite Heavy Duty Mechanic had some ideas on how to convert from those Stud Piloted Wheels to the more common Hub Piloted design.

Turns out that the SP Front Hubs matched a set of HP Aluminum Hubs that were attached to a OTR Kenworth in the Boneyard. Bonus ,even the Bearings were like new, so only required new seals.

Since We were changing Shoes and drums anyway We installed a pair of Steelite Drums in place of the Cast Iron Ones!

Then we discovered that the Rear Hubs were already Hub Piloted ,but were using Stud Pilot Studs. A Simple replacement of those studs gave Me a pair of perfectly good HP Rear Hubs.New shoes and Drums finished it off.

Woo !Woo! Nice New Wheels , Tires , Brakes and away we go!

Anyone want a set of Stainless Steel Wheel Simulators in good shape? 22.5 Inch, You pay the shipping!
Old 09-27-2013, 11:39 PM   #22

Triple E Owners Club
I could pick them up personally. I'm only an hour away in Nanoose Bay and want to take a look at the government campground there.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #23

Triple E Owners Club
I'll pm you.