RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2016, 01:18 PM   #1

Banks gauges drop to zero & Check Engine

Hoping someone here can say "I know that one"

This is an ISC on a 1998 Spartan chassis. The two Banks gauges (exhaust temp & boost psi) suddenly drop to zero and the Check Engine light comes on. No noticeable change in performance. I will call the problem intermittent because I have been unable to associate it with any action or driving condition and don't know how to force it to happen. Just started yesterday. It was happening every few minutes and as I continued driving the problem would go away and everything was normal again. Then everything was fine for 45 minutes. I pulled into a rest stop, shifted to N, put on the brake and as I was reaching for the key, the gauges dropped and the CE light came on. I thought it might be load related, but there were a couple of third gear climbs in that 45 minutes without a problem.

The Silverleaf report shows:
ENG PID 102 4 Boost Pressure Low Voltage

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2016, 02:02 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Loose connection. Look for a common ground for the 2 gauges, and any point where all 3 have a common connection.

D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:06 PM   #3
owr

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi 12volt
agreed especially if they both drop off line at once ... I have the same set up in my 2004 Kountry star and have no problem so far... but if they both drop at once and no noticeable change occurs its a connection issue almost positive.
owr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:07 PM   #4

Banks gauges drop to zero & Check Engine

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1460253517.733844.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	123637
Here is the source of the problem. It is difficult for the waste gate actuator to do its job when it is not connected to anything. The two red/brown lines on the bracket coming from the left is where the two tabs used to be connected.

Repaired the fractures and replaced the boost pressure sensor. Turbo is back to normal. The Exhaust Temperature gauge is still at zero. Does anyone know where the temperature sensor is and if this is a stock Cummins part or a Banks part?
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, gauges