Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2016, 07:38 PM   #1

Big Engine will not crank, batteries good

I have a 2000 Fleetwood American Tradition 40' diesel pusher, I replaced the house batteries and starting batteries, then started the generator (no problem), started the big engine (no problem), all components operating. I left the motorhome in storage and even disconnected the batteries. I returned two weeks later and reconnected the batteries (all connections good and correct), when I opened the door to the mh, the step did not come out when I turned on the chassis disconnect, I thought something was wrong with the step, I tried starting the generator (no problem started up). I then tried to start the big engine, it would not crank, all of the normal lights and warning alarm was on, but when I turned the key to the start position it would not start, the display did show the temp and low coolant alarms dimly lit up. I checked the slideouts but they would not work. I did have the jacks down so I raised them but that did not change anything, still would not start. bewildered.
pjpayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2016, 07:51 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Did you try to start holding the battery conect switch?
Cheack the voltage on the start batterys.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:08 PM   #3

If you installed new batteries ( engine start ) ran the motor, and then disconnected them, for two weeks, now your coach won't start, with a dim dash display, you have a voltage or connection problem.

Questions.
Have you checked the battery's voltages ?
They may have been in storage at the place of purchase for too long and needed to be fully charged before they were installed.
Your gen set may start from the coach battery set.
Does your coach have a " Boost or Emergency start switch on the dash ? Did you try using it?
Your slides and steps may require good power from both battery sets to operate.
Just because a battery is new , doesn't mean it's good , so start with basic voltage tests at the batteries.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:13 PM   #4

I would re-check the chassis batteries. My Gen starts using the house batteries, but my step uses the chassis battery. Plus you said the dash light are dim, which also work off the chassis batteries. Good Luck...let us know what solves the problem.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:14 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you installed the new batteries did you need to add water? I have never purchased a battery that was full.

I agree with Skip426 about the need to actually test the voltage as new batteries aren't always fully charged.

The other thing you could do is get a hydrometer and check each cell to see if there is a bad cell.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:18 PM   #6

Arch, do you tow the lexus rx330?
Old 03-29-2016, 08:25 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpayton View Post
Arch, do you tow the lexus rx330?
I tow the 2000 Lexus RX300 4 down. It's front wheel drive.

I have a 2004 Lexus RX330 but that model is not towable 4 down without a transmission pump so I don't tow it.

I bought both of them used with 100,000 miles...no way could I afford them new!
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:35 PM   #8

more details

When I originally installed the batteries, after a couple of weeks they had been discharged, I had left the chassis disconnect on, so I removed batteries and checked the water level and charged them, I also checked with a hydrometer and they had a full charge. I then installed them, checked the generator and big engine to make sure they would start, I also checked the 12V electrical lights and the 120V circuits (with the generator running). When I left I removed the negative cables on the starting batteries and the house batteries, there were small guage wires with rings on the negative post of the starting batteries and there was a lite sparks when I disconnected them, I thought something was draining the batteries, because the coach and chassis disconnects were off. When I came back a couple of weeks later then I found the things that I posted in the beginnings. Thanks for all of the help with this. Very much appreciated, my wife is freaking out because we were suppose to be leaving this coming Friday. Yikes.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I tow the 2000 Lexus RX300 4 down. It's front wheel drive.

I have a 2004 Lexus RX330 but that model is not towable 4 down without a transmission pump so I don't tow it.

I bought both of them used with 100,000 miles...no way could I afford them new!
Okay, thanks I have a 2004 Lexus RX330 and I was hoping to tow it, but I was told what you just said, that it is not towable. Thanks again.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:48 PM   #10

Try recharging your batteries, once again, and try starting the coach. It really has to be a simple problem. A dirty cable, poor ground connection...

I was told by my RV Fleetwood RV dealer and my independent RV repair shop to never disconnect the batteries on my 2010 coach during basic storage.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth camper View Post
Try recharging your batteries, once again, and try starting the coach. It really has to be a simple problem. A dirty cable, poor ground connection...

I was told by my RV Fleetwood RV dealer and my independent RV repair shop to never disconnect the batteries on my 2010 coach during basic storage.
Okay, thanks, because I don't have any power to the slideouts and the door step, there has got to be a fuse, or something, either a permissive or interlock of some kind that is not making, or maybe a connection somewhere that is loose or corroded. Thanks for your help too.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:56 PM   #12

I made an appt with a MH tech for tomorrow, hopefully he can find the problem. Thanks for all of the help too.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:17 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well what did you find out?
I still woud start the generater and let it charge for 1 1/2-2 houers then try to start.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:27 AM   #14

Found problem

Requested as built electrical drawings from Fleetwood, got them and reviewed, found that I had inadvertently connected the positive lead to the negative post on the starting batteries (chassis) (there are two (2) positive cables on these batteries. I don't know how this happened, I had disconnected and reconnected the batteries removing them and taking them home to charge them and putting them back in multiple times. Brain freeze I guess, I now have the diagrams for correct connection so this will not happen again. Thanks for all of the help with this, I appreciate everyone's time and help.

Joe Payton

Tags
batteries, engine