Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #1

Boost and EGT Gauge Solutions?

Folks,
Used to have a TT, and got used to my two most important gauges in my truck being my boost gauge and my EGT guage set that I installed. Way more informative then tach or speedo for SURE.

Soo, I now have a Spartan Liberty Chassis with a Cat C9. The engine is 35 feet behind me and I can barely hear it, much less know what the EGT's are!

The "Medallion" information center that came from Spartan shows voltage/engine temp/oil pressure/rpm/speed but not boost.

What have people done to solve this, as I am sure I am not alone in wanting boost/EGT info up at the dash?

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I purchased a after market 3 in 1 gauge that I only use 2 of to get EGT and boost.
I have since also installed a Scan D that gives boost but seldom use that.
Make sure if you install a EGT after marker that the probe is the right length so the
end of the probe is mid exhaust stream.( a lot of them are too short)
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
I'll watch here for info on this topic.
My last MH was a front engine 1990 Allegro with 5.9 Cummins first gen, and I pretty much drove by the egt. Boost is also good to know.

Presently I have a 2001 Newmar/Spartan/Cummins ISC 350. I miss not having these two gauges.

Boost gauge I would guess is easy.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:25 AM   #4

boost and egt

Your c9 engine EGT is not part of the data provided by the engine computer. So as far as I know you need to install the gauge, exhaust pyrometer probe, and the wiring--rear to front. I did this and the most challenging was installation of the exhaust probe itself into the manifold just forward of the turbo. There are a number of places on the web where one can get instructions and how to diagrams, photos etc. I think the cat engine owners group might have such. Good luck--
aztortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #5

A stock diesel engine really does not need EGT or turbo-boost gauges. You can tell if you lose turbo-boost because the engine will barely have enough power to move the MH. EGT will remain in the safe range unless someone modifies some part of the intake, exhaust, or ECM, which makes the engine "modified".
I had those gauges in my Dodge CTD, because I modified the engine. I did not have them in my Chevy Duramax dually because I left the engine stock. It now has 124,xxx miles, most of them towing a 15,500# 5th wheel throughout the U.S.A. and Canada.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
A stock diesel engine really does not need EGT or turbo-boost gauges. You can tell if you lose turbo-boost because the engine will barely have enough power to move the MH. EGT will remain in the safe range unless someone modifies some part of the intake, exhaust, or ECM, which makes the engine "modified".
I had those gauges in my Dodge CTD, because I modified the engine. I did not have them in my Chevy Duramax dually because I left the engine stock. It now has 124,xxx miles, most of them towing a 15,500# 5th wheel throughout the U.S.A. and Canada.

All true, but sometimes age or situation can "modify" an engine. Get some water in an intake air filter or have the little plastic condition gadget not give an accurate read on how much life is left on a filter and your engine may be modified.
I had a diesel mech show me the cooked exhaust manifold off a Cummins 350 ISC. Cause was leaking CAG along with a clogged air filter. Gradual boost lost was not detected because it was over time. Engine starves for air and heavy foot adds fuel and heat, ....
No doubt a newer engine monitoring system might give a clue, but for me with an older rig, I'd like to have the gauges. Seem like less boost than usual? Gauge has the answer.

Old school rule, "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it".
Thanks.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #7

@Ray,IN
My objectives are twofold. Know if there is an issue AND monitor engine performance.

I have a 7.3L Powerstroke that NOW has a chip/intake/exhaust. That said, I added a Boost and EGT guage while still stock and found that in certain situations my EGT's would climb up above 1200 degrees, and then I knew to either pull my foot out of it or force a downshift. Both brought EGT's down. I also used my boost gauge as a way to see how much "power" I was making. That was with the engine 2 feet away from me.

In my DP, I feel very "disconnected" from my lil CAT. So in a way, I see these two gauges as a way to keep an eye on her. Engine is stock and always will be.

I willl do some searches and see if I can find some pyrometers with VERY long leads, or that are calibrated for long leads. As for Boost, I was hoping there was something that had a "module" i could mount in the back near a sensor as I dont want to run a vacuum line all the way to the cab. I am guessing the CAT ECU knows the boost, but it is not displayed in the cab. I looked briefly at the silverleaf setup, and honestly, they look pretty damned expensive and I would STILL have to add an EGT gauge.

Chris
Old 07-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I got the boost and EGT gauges the expensive way: bought and installed a Banks PowerPak.
I also have a VMSpc from Silverleaf. Run it on a 7" netbook velcroed to the dash cover.
The one problem I have is that the Silverleaf boost gauge only shows a max of 25 psi and the Banks shows 35 at max. Silverleaf says the Cummins boost sensor only goes to 25 psi so it can't register any higher.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
I contacted a place called "thesensorconnection" (it was the first place to show up in a google search) They have leads to fit any length MH and all the other installation parts.

Person on the phone was knowledgeable, and helped me figure out what I was looking for. Price looked good. Ordered EGT gauge.

After installation I'll report back, but I don't see any issues.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:43 AM   #10

These are what are in my Peterbilt 379.
ISSPRO.com - Quality Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers and more!
stumpnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:04 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I feel it necessary to discuss two previously made statements:
1. "EGT is not necessary in a stock engine" - Our EGT was the only gauge that alerted us to a manifold leak (possibly a fire problem).
2. Installation - "I don't see any issues". There is one HUGE issue... Drilling and taping the manifold for the sensor! No metal particles, NONE, can enter the manifold. This will probably require removing the turbo which is not an easy task. A particle can trash the $3-4,000. turbine
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #12

Hal,
I was able to tap into my lil 7.3 PSD without worry using a low spot, carefull drilling and magnets. Havent looked closely yet at how to do this on my C9. Very important consideration tho, and I agree.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillboy View Post
I contacted a place called "thesensorconnection" (it was the first place to show up in a google search) They have leads to fit any length MH and all the other installation parts.

Person on the phone was knowledgeable, and helped me figure out what I was looking for. Price looked good. Ordered EGT gauge.

After installation I'll report back, but I don't see any issues.
As info
Just got back after a 1,000mi trip with new EGT installed. I'm sold on the digital meter version. It starts at outside air temp and goes up from there.
Doesn't make it more accurate than analog but easier to read.

It is post turbo and I realize that the temps do not reflect actual cylinder or manifold temps.

Watching for the temp to drop before shutdown is old school but it works for me.

The Allison trans keeps the upper temps down as noted by some folks, but for me I just like to see it.

Next a boost gauge and relocating the windshield post gauges down to dash level.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
I feel it necessary to discuss two previously made statements:
1. "EGT is not necessary in a stock engine" - Our EGT was the only gauge that alerted us to a manifold leak (possibly a fire problem).
2. Installation - "I don't see any issues". There is one HUGE issue... Drilling and taping the manifold for the sensor! No metal particles, NONE, can enter the manifold. This will probably require removing the turbo which is not an easy task. A particle can trash the $3-4,000. turbine
I had to remove the turbo anyway to replace the housing as the Banks kit included one. Cleaned out the port, then stuffed a rag down into it. Pulled all the metal particles out that I could see, then pulled the rag out which got all the rest. No problems after many thousands of miles now. I was a LITTLE concerned about taking the turbo apart though!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote