Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Brake issue, 1994 Holiday Rambler / Spartan

Hello All,

I just acquired a 1994 Holiday Rambler MH on a Spartan Chassis. When I start it, I get an alarm and a "Low Brake Fluid" light. I have searched all of the documentation that I have and can not find any information about brake fluid, or adding brake fluid.

I have searched the forums and have not found any information about the location of any brake fluid resvoir, or any clear information about whch brake fluid to use.

Some threads say that DOT 5.1 must be used, others mention DOT 4 or even DOT 3.

Trust me, I DO NOT WANT to screw up my brakes.

Can someone please tell me where to find the brake fluid resivoir and for sure which is the correct brake fluid to use. Of course, I do not know which brake fluid is in the system now, so can they be mixed?

Thank you.

Charles.
Randm Musing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2017, 09:07 PM   #2

Look above/behind your left front tire; I don't know if it's there but it's probable. DOT 4 will be fine.

Of greater import is determining where the fluid went.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:28 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
I'd be hard pressed to think it used DOT 5 fluid. That's a silicone synthetic fluid that's rarely used in automotive applications.

If 5 is mixed with DOT 3 or 4 will cause major brake component failure.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:29 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
Randm Musing

John Hicks, MackWrench

Thank you for your advice. I will take a look for the resevoir tomorrow. Too dark tonight.

The internet can be such a great place!!!

Charles.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:55 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
If 5 is mixed with DOT 3 or 4 will cause major brake component failure.
I actually know a lot about brake fluids, especially DOT-3/4 and DOT-5.

The design specification for DOT-5 was created by the DOD for military vehicles (I was a collector of them...) and one of the primary requirements that the DOD included was that if mixed, that no damage would happen. Mixing them is not good, but it won't hurt things. If accidentally mixed, the recommended action is to simply flush the system with the correct fluid and you'll be good.

To tell the difference (there are several tests...):

Take a sample of the fluid.
Using a small clear glass or bottle, add about 1 inch of water and a small sample of the suspect fluid. Shake or stir.

Do they mix? Yes: you have DOT-3/4. No: you have DOT-5.

Generally DOT-5 will 'float' on top of DOT-3/4 in a brake system. They will not mix.

Do NOT use DOT-5 in any ABS brake system! This can result in complete loss of braking.

Do not vacuum bleed DOT-5 brake fluid, use pressure bleeding instead.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:27 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
I actually know a lot about brake fluids, especially DOT-3/4 and DOT-5.

The design specification for DOT-5 was created by the DOD for military vehicles (I was a collector of them...) and one of the primary requirements that the DOD included was that if mixed, that no damage would happen. Mixing them is not good, but it won't hurt things. If accidentally mixed, the recommended action is to simply flush the system with the correct fluid and you'll be good.

To tell the difference (there are several tests...):

Take a sample of the fluid.
Using a small clear glass or bottle, add about 1 inch of water and a small sample of the suspect fluid. Shake or stir.

Do they mix? Yes: you have DOT-3/4. No: you have DOT-5.

Generally DOT-5 will 'float' on top of DOT-3/4 in a brake system. They will not mix.

Do NOT use DOT-5 in any ABS brake system! This can result in complete loss of braking.

Do not vacuum bleed DOT-5 brake fluid, use pressure bleeding instead.
I understand that the fluid characteristics are different enough to cause master cylinder seals to leak when going from glycol based to silicone based if mixed and left in system long term.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:04 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Brake Reservoir Located.

john hicks

You were close enough. The reservoir is actually between the frame rails on the passenger side several feet in front of the axel. It was a BUGGER to get open. very thoroughly fused in place. When I finally got it open, I discovered that it was full all the way to the brim. So that begs the question of what is causing the low brake fluid warning.

And now, to simplify things, my electric steps have stopped working.
Am I ever going to get this rig rockin' and rollin' or is it going to be just chasing problems.

Thanks,

Charles.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:23 PM   #8

Are you sure you don't have air brakes. I have worked on a couple HR in that 1994 time frame with Spartan chassis and they had air brakes.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randm Musing View Post
john hicks

You were close enough. The reservoir is actually between the frame rails on the passenger side several feet in front of the axel. It was a BUGGER to get open. very thoroughly fused in place. When I finally got it open, I discovered that it was full all the way to the brim. So that begs the question of what is causing the low brake fluid warning.

Am I ever going to get this rig rockin' and rollin' or is it going to be just chasing problems.

Thanks,

Charles.
If you ever reach the point where you can't find anything to adjust, fix, or replace, call me I'll throw you a party- because you'll be the first MH owner to ever reach that goal.
Most electric steps are powered constantly, so when working on/near them keep fingers out of harms way. Can you provide us with the make/ model of your steps? This will allow others to provide helpful information and advice.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
Brake issue, 1994 Holiday Rambler / Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Are you sure you don't have air brakes. I have worked on a couple HR in that 1994 time frame with Spartan chassis and they had air brakes.
It uses a combination of air and hydraulics for braking.
The air pressure is good in both tanks, and as noted,
the hydraulic reservoir is right to the top. So it is
a false alarm being caused by something.

It stops well, although the left front wheel seems to be tighter
and the air/(hydraulic?) operated parking brake works properly,
but when I step on the brake, the alarm starts howling and the
dash light comes on.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:19 AM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
If you ever reach the point where you can't find anything to adjust, fix, or replace, call me I'll throw you a party- because you'll be the first MH owner to ever reach that goal.
Most electric steps are powered constantly, so when working on/near them keep fingers out of harms way. Can you provide us with the make/ model of your steps? This will allow others to provide helpful information and advice.
You do not need to make any party preparations just yet, but I'll keep it in mind!!

I have discovered that the rig is overheating as well as the brake problem, so the step is on the back burner for now. I disconnected the actuator arm from the step and tied the step up for now. The overheat and brakes have top priority.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:22 PM   #12

Quote:
john hicks

Thanks,

Charles.
About the steps, mine were confusing at first.
Your house batteries need to be on and then there is a switch to keep them out while opening and closing your door. Press the switch the other way to have them come on and out each time the door opens.
If your not getting any motor sound, we found we kept the steps from working because hubby had the ignition key on for some reason.
Start the RV and shut the engine off then take key out and see if your steps work. It was some safety measure that kept our from working.
Hope to help so you can get on the road!!
CinnerRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:36 AM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnerRV View Post
About the steps, mine were confusing at first.
Yay! Another Oregonian!

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been reading some things about that. I think confusing is an accurate description.

I'll look into your suggestion.

Good travels.

Charles.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:07 AM   #14
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Yay! Another Oregonian!

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been reading some things about that. I think confusing is an accurate description.

I'll look into your suggestion.

Good travels.

Charles.
I agree as not figuring out the proper way to use the steps buttons can result in some awkward face plants.(Think opening door to exit and taking first step only to realize steps did not come out) hello!
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, holiday rambler, spartan