RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2016, 06:35 PM   #1

Broken fitting - Front Air system

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1453768179.726482.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	117412

I found a broken fitting that results in the rapid loss of air in the front air system. The location is above the driveshaft on the drive axle. Looks like the brass fitting broke off and some threads still remain on the bottom piece. I will talk to Spartan but does anyone know what that part is called where the orange wire/line goes to?

enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2016, 06:50 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
That looks like the quick release valve.It exhauste's the air when the brakes are released.Any truck parts store will have the valve and lines.

mackpeteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:12 PM   #3

If this were mine and don't have a tool to remove the broken fitting, I would remove the quick release assembly and take it to a truck shop to have them remove the broken fitting and supply a new one. Then all you have to do is install it.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #4

Broken fitting - Front Air system

Any ideas what might have caused it to break in the first place. We had rough interstate roads. Thanks for ideas.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoyrv View Post
Any ideas what might have caused it to break in the first place. We had rough interstate roads. Thanks for ideas.

If I were to guess, I'd say it was likely over tightened from day one and over time finally broke. You should be able to see if the break is an old one when you get it apart.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:09 AM   #6

It probably only needs a big easy out to remove the broken part. They are not all that expensive. The problem is how to hold it and align it without a tap wrench. I would do a bit of looking around at my tool supplier before I started taking things apart.

FWIW if you get an easy out and it bottoms before engaging the stub you are trying to remove then grind the small end back a ways. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:13 AM   #7

The fix is simple as others said but the cure may not be.

You need to see what tugged, rubbed or leaned on the valve, fitting or hose to see why it failed.

Check for clean spots where something may have been rubbing.

Look for a spot that road debris may have flew up and hit it.

Look for loose mounts everywhere ( U bolts, Engine, air tank ) anything near it.

Has any other work been done in that area just before the fitting broke ? Always look where the last guy worked, first !

As you suspected, they don't just break.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:18 PM   #8

Update. Had Empire Truck of Phoenix, a Spartan mobile service, come out today to fix the broken fitting on the release value. The fix was fairly simple as others have mentioned but fixing it so it doesn't happen again took some time. It seems the location of the lines and valves are in between the frame rails and directly above the driveshaft with little to fasten the value and hoses to in the center. After the fix, the quick release value has about two inches of clearance over the driveshaft when the coach is aired down and about 8-9 inches when aired up. They used zip ties to carry some of the weight of the hoses and values in the center. It could have been caused by something on the road making the line and valves drop as there were some wear marks on the drive shaft. We did have a small tire from a utility trailer come off ahead of us several weeks ago that went under the coach. Whether it was able to get above the driveshaft is unknown. Anyway, it is fixed and I will keep checking it to see that it stays put to avoid another repeat. Thank you for your input.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:27 PM   #9

Thanks for the update Rick.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:34 PM   #10

Good update.

Its great that the repair guy realised there was an issue and didn't just patch you up and send the problem down the highway.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote