Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2017, 05:31 AM   #43

Bill,

I've always used the Wabco filters. Also, I have always purchased these on line and have found the prices to be good. Do a search on Wabco air dryer filter Look for the System Saver models.

Drew
2003 Travel Supreme 40DS02
OldHatt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2017, 05:36 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Wabco Cartridge

Drew:

I found a source for cartridges - new one here by Monday!

The air leak I want to fix is on a Parker Schrader Bellows. It ties both dry tanks to the parking brake valve. I tried to open it up to see why it was leaking. Of course, one of the bolts broke so I've got the ez outs out now!

There is a thin o-ring on the cover that was leaking. If I can get the broken bolt out, I should be in business! Otherwise, hello Spartan!

Bill
tubitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:40 AM   #45

Bill,

Good you got the filter coming!!!!!
That Parker Schrader Bellows thing has me scratching my head a bit. Could you take a picture of it (in place) so we can see where it is and the connections. And then if you take it out, another closeup.
That would help me figure out a couple things.

Thanks and Good Job,

Drew
Old 06-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Schaefer Bellows

Here's a pix

It mounts on dry tank #2, tees into dry tank #1 and heads off to the parking brake.

I'll mark up a print later today
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1599.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	164430  
Old 06-09-2017, 06:41 AM   #47

Bill,

Cool. That has to be "Control Air" lines that go to the Parking Brake Valve on the Dashboard??? The actual Parking Brake "operation" air lines would have to come off the Midland Iverson Valve that has direct connection to the air tanks. At least that's the way it looks to me.
When you mark up a print that will tell the story!!!!!!

Thanks,

Drew
Old 06-10-2017, 08:16 AM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Air Sys Drawing

Drew:

I stuck in a double arrow to show the unit...

I manage to bung up the body trying to get the bolt out so the next step is to get a new one or weld up the body and re-drill and tap.

Bill
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Air Sys Dwg [2].pdf (165.6 KB, 123 views)
Old 06-10-2017, 10:49 AM   #49

American Coach Owners Club
The valve allows​ air from either/both tanks to be used to supply "charge" air pressure to keep parking brake released.

The thinking is that In the event of sudden air loss while driving one tank would still remain pressurized and not allow parking brake to apply due to sudden loss of air. At the same time it acts like a one-way valve that won't allow tanks to equalize.

The air pressure needed to release parking brake does not come from here, this is (like oldhatt posted) "control" pressure, the air from parking brake hand release button forces the piston in the Midland parking brake valve to open and allow full pressure/volume from the tank to get to where air brake chambers.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:24 AM   #50

Bill,
That's what I suspected from your description. A leak there would definitely be a Problem. My personal opinion is to get a NEW valve and not even bother messing with the Old one. Thank Goodness that Spartan doesn't change much from chassis to chassis so that we can Help each other!!!!! Glad you found the leak. On my RV, I had a Pin Hole in the stainless steel air line from the compressor to the Air Dryer. Seems that when they routed that line, they missed putting in a support clamp to hold the line away from the frame rail where it bends to travel forward to the Air Dryer. A real Bear of a place to get to, (hanging upside down through the floor access hatch. Haha). You can see the line pretty easy, but really uncomfortable to actually work on. You might want to take a look at that line, as a preventative measure.

Mackwrench,
That is the way I saw it, so thanks for the explanation and confirmation!!!! Kind of like a deadmans switch, which makes sense.

Drew
Old 06-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We're in Business!

Thanks to all the help from you guys, I'm back in operation.

Installed a new Wabco desiccant cartridge (brand name) and a new Schrader valve (from Spartan) and checked the governor setting.

All is good!

The gauges reading low bugs me a bit but I stuck a dot on the bezel to remind me of where they should read.

I'll check the airline from the compressor on my next dive!

Thanks again!

Bill
Old 06-18-2017, 06:44 AM   #52

tubitz
Glad to hear you're good to go.
The dessicant filter is the most overlooked item in the air system and causes lots of little stupid problems.
If everything is good now, then I wouldn't bother with the air line from the compressor.
The gauges reading low is just something not worth the money to fix.

Drew

Tags
leak, leaks, suspension