Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2016, 12:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Did they notify you or did you call them?
I called Spartan and they added me to their list (I called to do a change of ownership). I then followed up via email in mid January with my itinerary and they suggested A1 Diesel in Ft. Walton, FL. Spartan then scheduled a kit and I called A1 Diesel. All came together nicely .... I arrived in Ft. Walton area, kit arrived, A1 did the work. Only problem was 1 of 3 boxes was lost by Fedex and Spartan reshipped the missing box (1 day delay).

So, I didn't actually get a letter. For all I know it's "in the mail".
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2016, 09:52 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I called Spartan and they added me to their list (I called to do a change of ownership). I then followed up via email in mid January with my itinerary and they suggested A1 Diesel in Ft. Walton, FL. Spartan then scheduled a kit and I called A1 Diesel. All came together nicely .... I arrived in Ft. Walton area, kit arrived, A1 did the work. Only problem was 1 of 3 boxes was lost by Fedex and Spartan reshipped the missing box (1 day delay).

So, I didn't actually get a letter. For all I know it's "in the mail".
OK, I haven't talked to them since Oct, and they still hadn't identified all the affected units. I think I will give them a call.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:45 PM   #31
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Chassis recall for K2, K3, MM 2003-2007 mfg dates.
The phone number listed in this link is incorrect, The correct number is 1(800) 543-4277 option 0.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:47 AM   #32

Quote:
OK, I haven't talked to them since Oct, and they still hadn't identified all the affected units. I think I will give them a call.
One of the clues is a "white fan" requires replacement. BUT, there are some black fans that also need the kit.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
One of the clues is a "white fan" requires replacement. BUT, there are some black fans that also need the kit.
Did they also replace the double-knuckle drive shaft with a single knuckle? Also, did they change the direction of spin. A few members had a recall done back in 2008. Shaman52 forwarded this copied post to me from 2008, relating to the TSB. From his description, mine never had the recall done based on direction of rotation and the drive shaft. It also has a white fan.

Quote:
The following is part of a year 2008 post on the forum:

"This applies to Certain Spartan K2 Chassis Models equipped with Mechanically Driven Cooling Fan, Manufactured from March 17, 2003 through December 31, 2007."

"In the past there were many failures of the fan and belts on the K-2
(the chassis on which the Essex sits as well as newer MA's.) They did a "campaign" where they put in newly engineered parts including a new clutch, fan, doubled the size of the belt, a belt guard and other
components. This solved the problem however created another.
Certain coaches experienced vibration due to the increased angle of the fan-clutch driveline, especially when the exhaust brake engaged.

In January 2008 Spartan issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB07-270a-002 thru TSB07-270h-002.) This bulletin replaces the gearbox, the driveshaft (which has a double knuckle joint rather than single) the brackets and the fan blade. The new drive gears drive the fan in the opposite direction, therefore the fan had to be replaced and reportedly is more efficient. They also replaced the fan belt again (don't know why, but they did, which gives the owner a spare to carry on the road in case of failure.)

Spartan is not allowing dealer service centers to do the install.
They are sending out techs from their factory to locations around the country. They came to my home (in Seattle) yesterday and in about two hours completed the TSB. They were extremely competent and efficient. They were heading down to Oregon to Guarantee RV to do all the stock units there today and tomorrow and then heading back east towards MI.

If you have not had the first campaign done on your effected K2, or it was done prior to January 2008, you should call Spartan: 1-866-383.3695 Mike Hilborn is the guy. His extension is 3154. They will let you know when the techs will be in your area and can perform the TSB where you store your coach.

Another note: They also inspect the turbo exhaust for cracks. Many of us K-2 owners experienced failure with this part and Spartan redesigned the turbo exhaust pipe and installed it to solve the problem. They will replace it if they see failure. Mine was replaced a little over a year ago and the new design showed no problems. __________________
Joe in Seattle; winter: Motorcoach CC, Indio, CA
On Order: 2015 Essex, Factory delivery 8/31/15
2006 Essex (sold) 2010 Honda CRV toad"
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:39 AM   #34

Quote:
Did they also replace the double-knuckle drive shaft with a single knuckle? Also, did they change the direction of spin. A few members had a recall done back in 2008. Shaman52 forwarded this copied post to me from 2008, relating to the TSB. From his description, mine never had the recall done based on direction of rotation and the drive shaft. It also has a white fan.
The new driveshaft has 2 u-joints. I don't know about rotation since I no longer have the old parts to compare.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:37 PM   #35

Quote:
I just updated my customer records at Spartan via email ... they answered quickly and did provide info on the fan/mount recall. Parts are expected to be available mid-January.
I did the same following your lead. Very quick response, they checked for existing recalls and said I would receive any future notifications. Great service.
wydeglyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:20 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydeglyde View Post
I did the same following your lead. Very quick response, they checked for existing recalls and said I would receive any future notifications. Great service.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
I emailed Spartan today to have my contact information put on file as I bought our 2005 40' MADP two years ago. I also checked on the fan/mount recall and any other recalls that might be outstanding. Our coach doesn't need the fan/mount recall completed, but a new recall for the steering gear mounting bracket recall 15v-633 does need completing. This is a new recall so parts aren't available until late March or early April. Once available they will ship the parts to our local Spartan service centre and make arrangements for the work to be done.
randyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:38 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Here is a follow up email from Spartan:

The units with that recall have mechanical fans drive systems with a clutch and drive shaft and gear box and your chassis is a hydraulic fan system run by hydraulic motor. It uses the same hydraulic fluid as your power steering.

The hydraulic pump on the engine pumps the fluid and it goes to a manifold block and then out to the steering gear and the hydraulic fan motor. The fan motor has a solenoid on it that slows the fan down by restricting the amount of fluid going to the fan motor to help save fuel because the pump doesn't turn as hard. If the engine gets up to 210 degrees F. climbing a grade in hot weather then the solenoid will open and speed the fan up to full speed until it gets back down to about 185 or 190 and then slow it back down again.

Thank you
randyw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, recall