Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2015, 08:17 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Chassis recall

Chassis recall for K2, K3, MM 2003-2007 mfg dates.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2015, 08:20 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
It would restore a lot of consummer confidence in Spartan if they would go ahead and recall the tie rods/boots at the same time!
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:16 PM   #3
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
It would restore a lot of consummer confidence in Spartan if they would go ahead and recall the tie rods/boots at the same time!

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:46 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
Probably too late for most of us on that one ...it would be a reimbursement campaign at this point...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #5

fan recall

Wish I would have seen this earlier. We were on vacation and going down a grade I flipped on the engine brake. Heard a terrible noise, hell of a vibration and thought I blew a tire. Sister-in-law behind us radioed and said I had chunks of stuff flying out from under the coach as I was trying to pull over. The fan drive separated from the bracket, shredded the fan and put pieces into the radiator. Now I see there is a recall but only covers 2004 to 2007 and ours is a 1999. Called Spartan but told what I already knew. Got towed back to Rapid City, SD Freightliner (Eddy's Truck Center) and sat there for two days before they even looked at it to order parts. We were only 1548 miles from home. This was on Thursday by Friday they had a parts list but sat on it until Spartan was closed. By now the wife, two dogs and I are trying to figure out what to do. The service people said it would be Monday before they could order the parts and pull the radiator to see if it could be repaired by a local shop. They told me the parts would probably be in toward the end of the week. We decided to rent a car and drive home. On Tuesday I called and was told they have not put our coach in a bay yet to pull the radiator probably not until tomorrow and by the way they hadn't ordered the parts yet. Freightliner is in no hurry to work on your coach. I tried to explain I would be back to Rapid City on Monday as that was when the rental car was due back. I had checked the fan about 3000 miles prior but it looks like the bolts that hold the drive it just let go. There was also another same year Dutchstar sitting in the shop that had the same problem but they were lucky. Theirs didn't take out the radiator.
Reichster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:30 PM   #6

I just called on ours which is a 2005 K2 said it was ok. Might be because we had that big fan upgrade recall in 2008.
arc-a-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:36 AM   #7

When I had my ball joints/boots replaced I put in a call to Spartan to ask about them going bad. To make a long heated discussion short, Spartan admitted they knew there was a problem. But by reading between the lines, they figured most owners wouldn't be crawling under their coach's to check, so they could just wait it out knowing the warranty would expire before the owners knew anything was wrong. Left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:18 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Chassis recall for K2, K3, MM 2003-2007 mfg dates.
I phoned the number listed in the above link this morning. It is not a Spartan number and I was redirected to Spartan at 800-543-4277, option 0.

Spartan customer service who asked for the last 8 digits of my VIN. They looked up the recall status and found that a prior air gauge recall had been performed but stated that engineering is still working on identifying the coaches affected by this fan recall. The updated the owner record for our coach as they had a prior owner's contact information. They stated that when the affected VINs were identified and, if my coach was among them, they could forward a notification both by snail mail as well as by email. They do not have a timeframe for when the affected coaches will be identified.

If you are a second owner I suggest you give them a call to have their owner record updated.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:37 AM   #9

Fan recall

When I talked to the customer service about the fan separation on my 1999 the fellow on the other end stated for now it only covered 2003 to 2007 and the only reason they were conducting the recall was because NTSA was making them do it. Kind of odd that my coach and another one of the same year were at the dealer getting the fans and drives replaced because of a separation of the drive unit. Mine was fine until I flipped on the exhaust brake and ran the RPM up to about 2200 RPM. Normal operation for me is around 1600 RPM. I guess it just couldn't handle the extra RPM. Thanks for the heads up about letting Spartan know I'm the second owner. When I talked to them the other day I didn't have the VIN as that info is in the coach in South Dakota and I'm still at home in CA.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #10

I have a 2002 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage --- about 5 years ago, the mount for the hydraulic motor on mine broke and let the fan loose -- I was lucky -- only about 2 miles from home and it did not get the radiator --- talking to the guys at Spartan, I was informed that mine was not the first mount to break like this --- I was able to do the replacement work --- fan mount, new hydraulic motor, etc --- which saved me a lot.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:30 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Is there a way for a guy to get inspect this bracket or any of the other components before things break?
Old 10-21-2015, 08:45 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
I phoned the number listed in the above link this morning. It is not a Spartan number and I was redirected to Spartan at 800-543-4277, option 0.

Spartan customer service who asked for the last 8 digits of my VIN. They looked up the recall status and found that a prior air gauge recall had been performed but stated that engineering is still working on identifying the coaches affected by this fan recall. The updated the owner record for our coach as they had a prior owner's contact information. They stated that when the affected VINs were identified and, if my coach was among them, they could forward a notification both by snail mail as well as by email. They do not have a timeframe for when the affected coaches will be identified.

If you are a second owner I suggest you give them a call to have their owner record updated.
I was just told the same thing. I also updated owner information, and will await to see if we fall in the group.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:10 PM   #13

Fan recall

Well I've been stuck at the Freightliner dealer (Eddie's Truck Center) in Rapid City, SD since 10/8. They were in no hurry to get to it. Yesterday they brought it into the shop and drained the radiator. Today they took the charge cooler off, the radiator out and removed what was left of the fan and the fan drive. The fan drive holes were elongated and you could see where the housing rotated on the bolts leaving thread marks in the housing. It also elongated the steel mounting plate holes. There must be a lot of torque at work or the motor housing is too soft. There is very little clearance between the hub and the drive so when it turned it just about sheared off every bolt on the hub. I guess I shut it down quick enough so it didn't get all of them. My 1999 Dutchstar was the second one brought in to this dealer in the same week for the same problem.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
I guess I'll have to get under and see what I can see. Maybe a smart phone picture.

Shouldn't be too hard for them to ID the years that the weak bracket was used.... or what ever the cause.

People who have had the failure could contact the NTSA and add the info to what they have, espeially if there is a recall in progress.

Tags
chassis, recall