Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #1

check engine and abs light

ok i know i need to take and have a scope put on this but thought i would ask first something simple as a gas cap not clicked all way on new cars causes crazy stuff my. 06 essex randomly has a check engine lite and or a abc light come on its not all the time any input ?? thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #2

Just purchased from CW a Scan D Gauge for around 150$ which you can read codes and clear codes. Small and easy to use and would recommend you purchase and maybe keep on your dash since it gives a lot of other info. Tom 04 Essex

Old 09-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #3

Scanning for codes for an erratic, check engine or ABS light may not provide any answers.
You need to make careful note of when the lights come on, because there may not be any stored codes .
Questions , on engine light. Under heavy load ? On a long uphill climb ? High ambient temps ? Does the engine de-rate power ? The more info you can obtain , and if you can actually duplicate the conditions and make the light come on will be a big step to getting things fixed the first time .
Same on the brakes. Light on after heavy braking ? Only while turning ?
More info = better answers
Old 09-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Scanning for codes for an erratic, check engine or ABS light may not provide any answers.
You need to make careful note of when the lights come on, because there may not be any stored codes .
Questions , on engine light. Under heavy load ? On a long uphill climb ? High ambient temps ? Does the engine de-rate power ? The more info you can obtain , and if you can actually duplicate the conditions and make the light come on will be a big step to getting things fixed the first time .
Same on the brakes. Light on after heavy braking ? Only while turning ?
More info = better answers
Its always on start up cold engine then gone might last 15 min or shut engine off restart then all clear ?
greg-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't know if this will work for you as yours goes out. I got a check engine light about 1/2 thru my trip home from CA. All my gauges showed no problems and the motor was running fine. The light stayed on every time I started it until I got home. I was advised to disconnect my chassis battery and reconnect to see if the light came back when started. That was over a year ago and nothing has come back on. Ghosts maybe
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I don't know if this will work for you as yours goes out. I got a check engine light about 1/2 thru my trip home from CA. All my gauges showed no problems and the motor was running fine. The light stayed on every time I started it until I got home. I was advised to disconnect my chassis battery and reconnect to see if the light came back when started. That was over a year ago and nothing has come back on. Ghosts maybe
I'll try it nothing to lose thanks
greg-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Just saw this on T-Mart. For the price, maybe work for you.

http://www.tmart.com/OBD2-II-EOBD-EL...ign=Sep24-2013

If the link doesn't work, copy and paste to browser
Old 09-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Just saw this on T-Mart. For the price, maybe work for you.

ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 II EOBD Software Can-Bus Car Diagnostic Scanner Tool - Tmart.com

If the link doesn't work, copy and paste to browser

Only works on automobiles. Diesels us a totally different computers system.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post

Only works on automobiles. Diesels us a totally different computers system.
It does mention diesel cars on the list? I do not own a diesel so am not sure. Does a diesel rig still use the same OBD2 connection? If it does, why wouldn't this work?
Old 09-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #10

The ABS light on my Spartan chassis came on several months ago. When I asked how important the light is, the answer was " you still have normally operating brakes, just the anti-lock feature does not work when the light in on", so- I ignore it. The procedure for cleaning the wheel sensors and working on the ABS system is on the internet, which is usually the cause of turning on the light. I'll do that when we are home long enough and I'm out of other projects.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #11

Quote:
It does mention diesel cars on the list? I do not own a diesel so am not sure. Does a diesel rig still use the same OBD2 connection? If it does, why wouldn't this work?
That is for off-shore diesel cars only. Read the list of compatible autos, they are all off-shore brands.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 09-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

That is for off-shore diesel cars only. Read the list of compatible autos, they are all off-shore brands.
Actually the list says light duty trucks and cars post 1996 domestic and import. My question was, do diesel vehicles use the OBD2 connection?
Old 09-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #13

If you read the details closely it states what it does and does not do. It also says you must download information you glean from your vehicle to a computer so you can know what it says. For $25 don't expect much.
The answer is YES, all vehicles produced in the U.S.A. since 1996 have an OBD port, the OBD2 is not different just a more recent model of scan tool software.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Actually the list says light duty trucks and cars post 1996 domestic and import. My question was, do diesel vehicles use the OBD2 connection?
"Connection", being the operative word, passenger vehicles and light trucks ; up to 1 ton including those with diesel engines ; & to the best of my knowledge, gas MH chassis share a common connector, and can be hooked to the same code reader.
Diesel pushers, have On Board Diagnostics, but use a different connector , round with a screw on hook up, some even have 2 , one under the dash and another in the engine bay. Any time I've seen a DP hooked up for a code read out , it was connected to a lap top with the appropriate software.
I don't know what connection a FRED chassis uses.