RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2019, 08:21 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Cummins Service for Spartan Chassis

I am hoping someone can clear up a misconception I have about what a Cummins Coach Care service center can do or not do.

I've called a Coach Care Complete location (Ocala) and a regular Coach Care location as well.

I need an alignment, have disintegrated ball joint boots, and a possible air leak in the front air bags (based on sound plus a Air Leak message on the dash). Ocala stopped me at mentioning an alignment or anything to do with wheels.

I thought the Coach Care Complete locations actually did everything related to the Spartan chassis and even repaired RV systems installed by the coach mfg. As examples, she mentioned they don't do dash AC or roof repair.

Appreciate any insight.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2019, 09:02 AM   #2

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Most every shop has or deals with specific issues that they offer services for.
Chassis
Alignments
Engine
House
House appliances
Roofing
Fiberglass
Paint and detail
Body work.
Allot has to do with their trained and experienced staff, Employees.
You may have to visit two or three shops in your area to get everything you want Done correctly???
Or travel to a service center that , does it all ?
A rarity today. In my opinion.

Call the shops and see what they specialize in.
Then wittle away at your list of needs.
Be very patient.

Good luck

HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:13 PM   #3

re: the torn ball joint boots. A member came up with a fix for that, he drilled and tapped the bottom of the ball joint(top for upper joint) and inserted a zerk fitting. That thread is in the Spartan chassis forum, about a year ago I think.
I had a total alignment performed at a local HDT repair shop, including thrust angle-my rear axle was out by 3/4" from the factory. The shop inspected my torn ball joint covers, tested the joints, and said the ball joints are not worn-use spray silicone on them until I get them replaced.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:33 AM   #4

You are located very close to the gold standard shop for alignment and suspension issues.

https://josamusa.com/

They can check the condition of the ball joints, align your chassis if needed and replace your air bags if required.

If your ball joints are still good (quite possible), the fix mentioned above detailed on the Spartan forum is one option vs. replacement.

I use a product (Boeshield T-9) to liberally spray the balljoints before each trip. This is a lubricant developed by Boeing with excellent wicking properties. Is better than silicone IMHO.

Boeshield T-9 can be bought online or at any marine store in Florida.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:27 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I spent two months looking for a place to replace my ball joints, tie rod ends an alignment. Finally was referred to a Over the Road Truck spring operation. Excellent service at reasonable price.
Spartan/Cummins did quote..... 8-12 weeks and $3.5K more that I got it done for. ( their quote screamed “we don’t want this job”)
Old 08-03-2019, 09:32 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm not sure they want my business either. It's almost been a week and I don't even have an estimate yet or an understanding of what services they might be able to handle.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:51 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredinFL View Post
I am hoping someone can clear up a misconception I have about what a Cummins Coach Care service center can do or not do.

I've called a Coach Care Complete location (Ocala) and a regular Coach Care location as well.

I need an alignment, have disintegrated ball joint boots, and a possible air leak in the front air bags (based on sound plus a Air Leak message on the dash). Ocala stopped me at mentioning an alignment or anything to do with wheels.

I thought the Coach Care Complete locations actually did everything related to the Spartan chassis and even repaired RV systems installed by the coach mfg. As examples, she mentioned they don't do dash AC or roof repair.

Appreciate any insight.
I second the Josam in Orlando recommendation....can't find better in the area....C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:47 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We recently had a TERRIBLE experience with the Cummins Shop in Charlotte, NC. Unfortunately we live in the world of Freightliner here in NC.
After being Quoted $400 ~ $500 for an Oil and Filter service we ended up being charged $713 before we left!
They are advertising that they really want to build their "Coach Care" business so we decided to give them a try. It was quite obvious that they do not want to work on Coaches and consequently charged $450 for just the labor? They did not look at anything else, no suggestions on wear items, they don't even have a grease or chassis pit!. We will never go there again!
Send me a PM if you would like more details...
gkonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:41 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkonney View Post
We recently had a TERRIBLE experience with the Cummins Shop in Charlotte, NC. Unfortunately we live in the world of Freightliner here in NC.
After being Quoted $400 ~ $500 for an Oil and Filter service we ended up being charged $713 before we left!
They are advertising that they really want to build their "Coach Care" business so we decided to give them a try. It was quite obvious that they do not want to work on Coaches and consequently charged $450 for just the labor? They did not look at anything else, no suggestions on wear items, they don't even have a grease or chassis pit!. We will never go there again!
Send me a PM if you would like more details...
Thanks. I would add Cummins Jacksonville to the list of places that don't want to work on motorhomes. I have another thread going on my broken manifold with some of the details. It's exactly the same experience you had. They were 2X on the estimate with only one exception.

There's a couple of reviews out there of the Jacksonville location damaging coaches or doing repairs so badly they had to pay another Cummins dealer to fix a problem after a breakdown.

Oddly enough, we saw it first hand. After dropping our coach off, we had to drive back out there because they said they could not unlock our coach's door. We arrived to see them trying to force open the door of another owner's motorhome with our key. It was entirely different make/model. Their door was opening partially but hung up on something and it looked like it was not possible to close that door correctly anymore.

ISC Cracked Exhaust Manifold?

I will call Spartan to see if they have any better suggestions. I would really like to find a service center that can do 90% of the work I might need done on the chassis. I think Independence RV might be a possible choice assuming they really have techs that focus on the engine/chassis. I am going to Josam for the suspension work next.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:22 PM   #10

This is what Spartan has to say about Cummins Coach Care centers: https://www.spartanchassis.com/cps/service/state.asp
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:34 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
This is what Spartan has to say about Cummins Coach Care centers: https://www.spartanchassis.com/cps/service/state.asp
Great find.

Quote:
Level 1W
Full chassis repairs/complete engine warranty repairs.
I guess not having an alignment machine might be a common exclusion from "full". However, I'm surprised ABS, shot ball joints, and the air system leak is something they could not fix using the Level 1W definition.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:06 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Looks like Spartan does not want to play on Freightliners home turf here in North Carolina. The Shops that they have "partnered" with and authorized for their COACH CARE program seem pretty lame. They expect owners of a $500K Motor Coach to bring it to them? Between this selection and the lack of a professional Dealer network it is no wonder that some folks who are not handy are throwing in the towel and moving on. Those of us who are handy and can fix minor problems are still willing to pay for GOOD, HONEST Service...which is still very difficult to find.

gkonney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, cummins, service, spartan