Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Spartan trained mechanics are not always MH trained mechanics and, just like salesmen, don't know everything and the sometimes hidden/subtle issues with a house on a chassis. In this specific case I may have talked him out of "normal" because I told him I had used the battery disconnect switch and if he didn't have any experience with MHs per se, why would he doubt me?

I've learned a lot about what I do and don't know. I have also learned a lot of what others do and don't know. Usually between me and them...we get it done right. LOL The good news is that every time I work with a tech as a TEAM we both usually learn a bit more.

I'm going to go back and to some meter readings on the alternator lead with both the charger on and off. That should give me a "FINAL ANSWER" on whether the charger was the only source of "sparks". BTW...the sparks were not anything more serious than a quick spark I have seen putting the negative terminal on a battery being reconnected. If I find the leads "dead" with the charger off...my chassis cut off switch is working as expected.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2015, 01:28 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
OK...here is what I found testing voltage at the cable ends that connect to the alternator in the order I tested with the chassis battery disconnect set to OFF.

1. Inverter/charger on...12.5V
2. Inverter/charger off...12.5V
3. Inverter/charger off & negative side of chassis batteries disconnected....12.5V
4. Inverter/charger off & both the negative and positive sides of chassis batteries disconnected....maybe 0.5V.

All that being said there is one other factor I think comes into play and that is all the accessory connections that go directly to the battery. I have at least 3 other smaller cables to other things are connected to the chassis batteries. I'm wondering if they are introducing the 12.5V at the alternator cables but they are very low current...just enough to spark maybe?

If I had thought about it I could have pulled the fuses to those 3 connections first and then tested the alternator cables. It is certainly possible that what ever voltage I was reading could have been related to those extra connections.

Never the less...I certainly will take away from this a better appreciation for the chassis wiring.

Tomorrow the game plan is for Holt Cat to have the parts by 11 am and send a tech out immediately. We aren't looking at any serious chance for rain so I will have the slide over my battery bay pulled in and the battery tray out and ready to reconnect after the alternator is in place. I've got pictures and wires labeled so 10 minutes tops to have batteries reconnected and ready to start the engine to test the alternator.

Wish me luck...I really want to leave town NLT 3 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:32 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
All done. Alternator got delayed a day due to some paperwork snafu but it wasn't that big of a deal anyway. The install went quickly and the weather held off to get it done.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
It was easy to find my Bussman box but I don't have access to a diagram to determine some of the fuse numbers and their function. However, I pulled each and every fuse and none were blown. Still...thanks for the tip.
If you call Spartan, they can provide you with a schematic of the Bussman box and "what goes to what". Also, if you can get to where you can clearly see the box --- I used a digital camera to take a picture of mine with the cover off --- each fuse/relay says what it goes to.

Tags
engine