RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2015, 07:32 AM   #15

Yes, I agree. You guys are absolutely right.

I misunderstood the numbers and jumped the gun on my response. I figure I use around 400 miles/gallon. If he's using 2 to 3 gallons per 100 GALLONS (not miles), and assuming around 8mpg, he's likely doesn't have a problem beyond the PIA filler access.

apologies

Joopy

Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2015, 09:28 AM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
O.K., if you know you're going to pump about 100 gal. of diesel, you'll need about 2 gallons of DEF. Fill 2 one gallon jugs with DEF either transferred from your on board 5 gallon pail or from the DEF pump at the island. Pour the 2 gallons into your RV, store empty jugs for next fill up, or fill them again from the DEF island pump and take with you.

Come on guys, this isn't advanced problem solving. Many RVers are also truckers or retired truckers. I've met a few anti RV truckers but many more nice guys doing a tough job. I've met a number of jerks driving cars, pick ups, motorcycles, etc. Sort of like the general population of the Earth, some folks are friendly and a few are self-centered jerks who think they deserve special treatment. I just smile and move on, you can't argue with a fool, they may be doing the same thing. I had a friend in college many decades ago that greeted rudeness with a warm, "Merry Christmas" regardless of time of year. She said it reminded her to be kind and hope the other person would then have something to think about.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:25 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I find that I use one 2-1/2 gallon jug of DEF per fuel fill. I don't top it off every time I refuel. I just wait until I get to the campground and it's either one or two bars on the gauge.

The small door is useless with the jugs so I always open the entire large door. It's back far enough that I could do it in a truck stop but I like to get in and out without holding anyone up. I do find truckers as friendly, especially if they see Dakota up front in the cockpit. However, I would never turn around and try to run the pump island in the opposite direction unless it was late at night and no one was around. That would be one way to irritate the truckers. The problem with using the neighboring pump is that there is always a trucker there and you have to punch the DEF button along with the fuel button on the pump keypad prior to fueling. That won't work unless he wants to wait for you to use it and pay inside and I don't see that happening.

However, Spartan is getting a driverside DEF fuel soon. I saw the setup on their chassis at the Madison FMCA convention. If it comes out on the 2017 Spartans I would see if I could get the parts and add it to my 2016.

You can fill the jugs at the pump while fueling to save some money due to the lower price for bulk DEF at the pump but most pumps use a magnetic trigger on the nozzle so that it won't pump if you stick it into a fuel tank by mistake. They make a Magnevator, which is a tube and a magnet, to slip over the nozzle so that you can refill the jugs but I couldn't get mine to work so it's back to buying jugs at this point. I don't have a problem filling the DEF tank with jugs as long as I open the large door but it is a hassle to carry full jugs and have to take the empties to the dumpster whenever I top off my DEF tank at the campground.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #18
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
...However, Spartan is getting a driverside DEF fuel soon. I saw the setup on their chassis at the Madison FMCA convention. If it comes out on the 2017 Spartans I would see if I could get the parts and add it to my 2016...
Both the Freightliner and Spartan chassis have street side DEF fill - at least on the 2016 Newmar coaches.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #19

Def on curb side.

The reason they were on the curbside was because the EPA mandated how close the tank was the injection point. They have since relaxed that allowing moving it to the street side on the 16s.

pointrow
Old 10-22-2015, 11:11 AM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
The problem is that pump belongs to the truck in that lane and they dislike us enough already to try to use theirs.
I was in a truck lane once and had a trucker try to use my lanes satellite pump to fill his truck. I saw him in time to stop him.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:19 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointrow View Post
The reason they were on the curbside was because the EPA mandated how close the tank was the injection point. They have since relaxed that allowing moving it to the street side on the 16s.

pointrow
The EPA didn't specify exactly where to put the tank but they did specify that it needed to work. The issue was that the dosing valve and tank only worked within a short distance due to a number of factors. Technology has allowed things to improve as they've learned more. A couple of years ago I mentioned moving the tank to Spartan but was told that they couldn't do that with the large side radiator in the way. The chassis that I've seen still haven't moved the tank but they figured out how to add that second curbside filler tube. The tank needs to keep pressure, have a magnetic ring in the filler cap, the ability to automatically shut off when the tank is full, etc. They seem to have that figured out.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:19 AM   #22
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The tank hasn't moved, they've just added a second fill access.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'd suggest buying a small, battery powered transfer pump. Fill up 1 gallon jugs from the 5 gallon pail and fill with those. If the 1 gallon jugs can't be used to fill the DEF tank, then use the transfer pump for that too.

http://www.amazon.com/TERAPUMP-Trade...ed+siphon+pump
My 14 year old grandson uses the transfer pump referenced above. He uses a small plastic step stool to support either a 5 gallon jug we use exclusively for DEF or the 2 1/2 gallon jugs from Walmart. Takes a matter of a couple of minutes and no mess whatsoever.
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:58 AM   #24

At truck stops with bulk DEF we have never had a problem using the pump from the next lane to fill up our DEF. While filling up the diesel I talk to the truckers beside and/or behind us to explain the situation and so far all of them have been accommodating. Really it takes less than 5 minutes to stop the MH and complete the task of filling the DEF. Easy peasy!
Old 11-24-2015, 10:55 AM   #25

DEF

I've been looking for battery operated transfer pumps and this looks like a very good alternative. Has anyone tried one of these? Check out these links. It cost $65 but it seems very easy and convenient to use. Looks like it would make the DEF job much easier.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SBZRR8O/...=I5KXH3Y1SISRT
Old 11-24-2015, 11:19 AM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
Ron @ HHI, I'm sure the $64 pump will work, but so will the $9 pump I linked. Pays your money and takes your choice.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:45 AM   #27

Yes, but the $64 pump has a auto shut off and pumps at 2 1/2 gallons per minute.

Tags
tank