Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Drive-line U-Joint bolt problem

Has anyone experienced the U-Joint bolt heads, on the differential side, getting smashed when you dump the suspension air bags? The bolts seem to be hitting the yoke on the drive-line as the frame drops with the airbags being dumped. It's like the shaft is in a bind. If so how did you solve the problem. This by the way took some time to come to a conclusion? I wiped out a brand new bolt which helped me figure this out and it could be a major issue that needs to be addressed by Spartan. I found 2 of the bolts loose when I discovered the problem. You can imagine the thought going through my head after I finished a 4200 mi. trip.

2006 Newmar Kountry Star KSDP3910 on a Spartan MM chassis
Craig & Carolyn Roberts

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #2

Has the spline shaft for not a better word been kept well greased and regular. It seems to the only way I can think of to get in a bind going up and down.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Has the spline shaft for not a better word been kept well greased and regular. It seems to the only way I can think of to get in a bind going up and down.
Not sure. I'm the second owner and it looks like it has. This only seems to be a problem when you dump the air suspension to level the coach. I don't think the suspension could travel that far with the air levels up. Thanks for you input Rooster
Old 11-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #4

Would recommend greasing u-joints as soon as 5000 miles. At the seminar at FMCA Spartan has changed service on U-joints to 5000 miles and K-2 And K-3 chassis with shaft drive fans also need service at the 5000 mile mark. I have started caring grease gun with us. Will be Alaska this summer and with our 20K miles per year and over 100k on our Essex don't want u-joint problems which some owners are talking about.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #5

I expérience That In m'y 2004 DPKS thé bolts Brooke and thé driving shaft
Pass thru thé transmission pan and cut oné of thé air suspension bag
I was Tolède to thé Western branch diesel at ashland we stay Thérè
à week i was In my three year of warrenty
Know. I chek the bolts everything Time i camp
What àn expérience i dont Want to live again
Andrew from Québec Ca NKK#16343
2004 Kountry Star 3904 Cummins 330 ISC towing a Jeep Cherooke Trail Hawk 2016,Blue Ox.and Buddy Brake ,TMS,
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #6

I have a 2005 KSDP 3910 Spartan. The bolts do bind with the suspension dumped. Mine have dents where the bolts have contacted, bolts are OK. I believe the problem can be caused by moving rv before air is up and drive shaft is leveled out. It seems like a long time before both front and rear come up after start up when you are waiting to get underway. My rv was used and I found with the paper work box end from u-joint box with part number so someone had already replaced at least one joint. Rv only had 32,000 miles. I see on this forum many owners that are trying to get tall rv into shorter building by driving rv with suspension air dumped with out realizing the damage that can happen.

Dave
Old 11-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No problem with either our 2000 DSDP on FL chassis nor the present 2002 DSDP on Spartan. I grease the slip joint and U-Joints regularly and never move till the air suspension is all the way up.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJO View Post
I have a 2005 KSDP 3910 Spartan. The bolts do bind with the suspension dumped. Mine have dents where the bolts have contacted, bolts are OK. I believe the problem can be caused by moving rv before air is up and drive shaft is leveled out. It seems like a long time before both front and rear come up after start up when you are waiting to get underway. My rv was used and I found with the paper work box end from u-joint box with part number so someone had already replaced at least one joint. Rv only had 32,000 miles. I see on this forum many owners that are trying to get tall rv into shorter building by driving rv with suspension air dumped with out realizing the damage that can happen.

Dave
I never move the coach until the air suspension is fully up and the air gauges read at least 120lbs. Usually by this time the air dryer is dumping so I know everything is up to pressure. Thanks for you input Dave.
Craig
Old 11-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
No problem with either our 2000 DSDP on FL chassis nor the present 2002 DSDP on Spartan. I grease the slip joint and U-Joints regularly and never move till the air suspension is all the way up.
I always wait till the gauges are at 120lbs or more and the air dryer is purging. Takes about 10 to 15 minute. Thanks for the imput.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
I always wait till the gauges are at 120lbs or more and the air dryer is purging. Takes about 10 to 15 minute. Thanks for the imput.

Should not take that amount of time. You definitely have a leak or some other issue.