Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
ECO Cruise Control

I just recently purchased a 1995 Beaver Trenton on a Spartan chassis. The cruise control is inop and I am starting the process of troubleshooting. It's an ECO unit (here someone is going to tell me parts are no longer available!!). Anyway I may have a lead on another application for this unit, but I cannot find the ECU. Does anyone know where the heck they hid it?
Thanks
Andy
3rd stage is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2012, 02:23 AM   #2

Vacuum !

VACUUM... 1st, simply check for vacuum..
Mine did not work.. I read where others were sporadic and unreliable.
I removed the brake air bleeder vacuum Venturi generator, and installed a small vacuum pump I got on Ebay.. ( 2 actually ) and a vacuum switch from Ebay..
and a relay.. I set the switch at 15in , and it works great!

A nice fella posted a pdf file on line that described his problem.
He also showed his fix. I did the same. I had a failed bleeder vanturi device that kept draining my air in just a few hours.. Now my air stays up for about 2 days..
I put one in front for the dash controls, and one on the cruise control .. .
totals cost, pumps cost about $18 each, vacuum switches cost prolly $20 for both. a little wire, etc,, very goods improvement..
good luck !
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vac gen8.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	27036  
Attached Images

kb7uxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:15 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
On my Spartan Chassis, the Brain Box is located near the left front floor in the main cabin to the left of the steering column. My wiper control brain box is located there also. On my unit being a Diesel, there is no vacuum system for the actuator so I am guessing the system is 100% Electro-Mechanical. Fortunately mine still works, but if it ever quit, I would start checking all of the electrical connections firsthand then go from there. Unfortunately Eco-Cruise is out of business and I have had trouble finding anything out about my system. Good Luck in your quest, Ed
Old 10-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #4

eco cruise control

i have a 94 winnie vectra with this cruise control.. it worked only every once in a while. the chief cause of trouble in these older rigs is a poor ground. i would start with a new ground wire directly to the frame. l would use shake proof lock washers onder the terminals. also you might solder the terminals as well a swaging them. the replacement control is very expensive and difficult to install.
Gizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #5

more ecocruise info

Andy at 3rd stage i have a little more info. When i was having trouble with my econocruise i got some good info from Steve at CruiseKing. The control box is located by the steering column and measures about 4"x8". There are four wires that power the unit. Red wire #442 provides +12Vpower to the dash switch. When the switch is pushed on, Blue wire #443 from the switch gets hot and supplies +12v to the brain box. Signal from brain box to light in switch is wire #444 and is green. The Black wire is the Ground wire. I ran a #12 wire directly from the brain box chassis mounting hole to the rv frame. Soldered crimped terminals and used shake proof lock washers at both ends. Solved my problems. Cruiseking has a retro fix used by Spartan which costs $665.00 Switch can be replaced with unit from Radio Shack or Napa. Let us know if you have any success.

Gizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
ECO Cruise Control

Just back from an extended trip to most of the National Parks in the SW U.S. and saw your comment re my cruise control problem. Thanks for that.
As soon as we finish unloading and cleaning up the coach, I'll dig into it again.
I will let you know what I find with the bad ground question. It sure would have been nice for my right foot to be able to relax on our 2800 mile jaunt!
Thanks
Andy
3rd stage is offline   Reply With Quote