Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2018, 02:52 PM   #1

ENGINE /TRANSMISSION Hesitation after stop

Have a '14 Spartan chassis with the 450 Cummings and Allison transmission. Have an intermittent issue with the coach on take off from a stop after a long run. Have been unable to tell if it is an engine stall or that the transmission is not downshifting back to first when coming to a stop, then upon acceleration the transmission will downshiftand cause a hesitation in the forward motion of the coach. This has been difficult for me to determine as I can't hear the engine from the drivers seat. Also when it happens I immediately pull my foot off the throttle. The engine never shuts off completely. This is an on going issue since the day we brought it home. Service center, both Spartan and Cummings says no issues stored in ecu. Unit has been serviced several times and all fuel filters are new and clean. Just thought someone out there may have had the same issue.
Thanks, GrAndy
SAS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2018, 03:27 PM   #2

Turbo Lag?

Mine does something similar too. I just assumed it was turbo lag. Turbo lag is the time between mashing the throttle and feeling the rush of torque from a turbocharged engine. The lag comes from the time it takes the engine to create enough exhaust pressure to spin the turbo and pump compressed intake air into the engine and is longest when the engine is in a low-rpm, low-load cruising situation.

But you probably already know that. Has a service tech actually driven your coach?
Old 08-19-2018, 04:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodoc View Post
Mine does something similar too. I just assumed it was turbo lag. Turbo lag is the time between mashing the throttle and feeling the rush of torque from a turbocharged engine. The lag comes from the time it takes the engine to create enough exhaust pressure to spin the turbo and pump compressed intake air into the engine and is longest when the engine is in a low-rpm, low-load cruising situation.

But you probably already know that. Has a service tech actually driven your coach?
Yes, I know what turbo lag is. But what I am experiencing is that the engine just shuts down completely, like turning the key off. It usually startles me and I lift off the accelerator. Press the accelerator again and away we go. Never missing a beat going down the road. Have tried to be ready for it to happen and not lift from the accelerator, but it always catches me off guard. Like I said previously, it's possible it may be the transmission not downshifting back into first gear before the stop and that it is trying to get into a lower gear when starting off and it goes into a false neutral. It has no consistency to when it may happen. Did it the first time on way home the day we purchased it. Did it yesterday on a short(45 minutes) test drive after being parked for a few months.
And yes, it has been driven by a Spartan factory tech and Cummings tech.
Their quote, "Cannot duplicate the complaint"
Being a mechanic myself, I can understand. Wouldn't expect them to take it out for 2-3 day drive just trying to get it to repeat the issue.
Was hoping maybe someone possibly has had the same issue.
PUZZLED ON THIS ONE, GrAndy
SAS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:43 PM   #4

Engine/Transmission Hesitation

I misunderstood your post. I have been through that before. After an hour trouble shooting with a laptop I closed it and with the coach parked and running jiggled the harness from underneath the coach. It was a short in the wires supplying power to the ECM. Replaced the connector and no more problems.

Another coach had a short in the ignition lock, but the motor would usually quit at highway speed. Insane!

Tags
engine, transmission