Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
KIX

Exhaust Brake

My Jacobs exhaust brake has quit working. Here are the items I have checked and verified that they work but still have no exhaust brake.

Air solenoid opens and closes and passes air on the bench.
Air supply to solenoid is available
Butterfly moves freely with air cylinder disconnected
Air actuating cylinder works with external air applied
Dash on/off switch works as verified by VOM

Road tested at 60 mph and no exhaust brake. Trans downshifts like it should. Wherever the air solenoid gets it's actuation signal is not providing that signal.
Ideas will be appreciated. Thanks
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2015, 09:32 PM   #2

I'm not much on this but have an idea. When the accelerator is released it activates the E brake. Could that be involved in this? Seems like that is sending a signal to something.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
My Jacobs exhaust brake has quit working. Here are the items I have checked and verified that they work but still have no exhaust brake.

Air solenoid opens and closes and passes air on the bench.
Air supply to solenoid is available
Butterfly moves freely with air cylinder disconnected
Air actuating cylinder works with external air applied
Dash on/off switch works as verified by VOM

Road tested at 60 mph and no exhaust brake. Trans downshifts like it should. Wherever the air solenoid gets it's actuation signal is not providing that signal.
Ideas will be appreciated. Thanks
Any noticeable difference when you slow down to say 50?
Old 01-30-2015, 06:52 AM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
Have you tried putting a close signal on the on/off switch in the dash and checking operation of the solenoid? Possibly a bad connection somewhere between the dash and engine. Think you have the VMSPC - if so do you see the signal indicating the exhaust brake should operate?
PandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:12 AM   #5

On an older coach, I found an answer to the same problem as yours to be a plug in the engine wiring harness. I had to trace the wire that activates the solenoid all the way back to a wire bundle and inside that bundle I found a bad plug.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:12 PM   #6
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I'm not much on this but have an idea. When the accelerator is released it activates the E brake. Could that be involved in this? Seems like that is sending a signal to something.
It does indeed send a signal. Per Spartan the signal is generated by the ECM. And that signal is apparently being generated by the ECM as designed as the signal to downshift the trans is reaching the trans. But there is aparently a loss of signal between the ECM and the air solenoid.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:15 PM   #7
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Any noticeable difference when you slow down to say 50?
Dennis, No. I've had this coach for 10 years and about 65000 miles so I'm sure the exhaust brake is not being activated.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:20 PM   #8
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandK View Post
Have you tried putting a close signal on the on/off switch in the dash and checking operation of the solenoid? Possibly a bad connection somewhere between the dash and engine. Think you have the VMSPC - if so do you see the signal indicating the exhaust brake should operate?
From discussing this with Spartan the dash switch "activates" a "module" in the ECM that in turn controls the air solenoid. So because any external signal I put on the dash switch wiring would pass into the ECM I have been reluctant to do this. I don't want to cause a second problem.
I agree with your thought that it's a bad connection between dash and the air solenoid. So far I have been unable to even find connectors. They're supposed to be in the pax side frame rail over rear axle........they're definitely not there or even close to there.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:22 PM   #9
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
On an older coach, I found an answer to the same problem as yours to be a plug in the engine wiring harness. I had to trace the wire that activates the solenoid all the way back to a wire bundle and inside that bundle I found a bad plug.
I feel pretty certain that my problem will be along the same lines. I am hoping someone will have the same chassis/engine and at least be able to tell me where the connector is located.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
It does indeed send a signal. Per Spartan the signal is generated by the ECM. And that signal is apparently being generated by the ECM as designed as the signal to downshift the trans is reaching the trans. But there is aparently a loss of signal between the ECM and the air solenoid.
Poor connection or bad solenoid? Since you know the cylinder moves the butterfly on your bench test, try disconnecting the air supply at the cylinder and activate the dash switch with the engine at idle. This should tell you if the solenoid is opening.
You might have to have a helper as I think the transmission needs to be in D, brake applied. Went this route a few years ago when mine quit. Turned out it was a bad connection at the solenoid plug. A good cleaning with electric a spray cleaner and some dielectric grease and away it went.
The solenoid on mine is located on top of the transmission right in the dirtiest spot they could find.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:33 PM   #11
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Poor connection or bad solenoid? Since you know the cylinder moves the butterfly on your bench test, try disconnecting the air supply at the cylinder and activate the dash switch with the engine at idle. This should tell you if the solenoid is opening.
You might have to have a helper as I think the transmission needs to be in D, brake applied. Went this route a few years ago when mine quit. Turned out it was a bad connection at the solenoid plug. A good cleaning with electric a spray cleaner and some dielectric grease and away it went.
The solenoid on mine is located on top of the transmission right in the dirtiest spot they could find.
Thanks Dennis. I took the air solenoid out and bench tested......it's good on the bench. I cleaned the solenoid connector, reinstalled the solenoid and road tested. Still no exhaust brake.
Regarding your comment about testing the solenoid operation. On my coach ...........there is always air available at the solenoid inlet. The solenoid is controlled by the ECM and will not open below "x" speed. There is 2 ways to check operation. 1. Visually look at air actuator/butterfly operator or 2. Pay Cummins to connect their software. Cummins can check operation using their software while coach is stopped. Agaoin, that's my coach and per Spartan.
I still think my problem is a bad connector..........just have to find the engine to mid chassis connector.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:45 PM   #12

For what it's worth on my unit there some components in the Bussman box that are labeled as "Auxilliary Brake". R10 looks to be the relay that is energized from the ECM. Fuse F17 looks to be in the circuit that activates the brake lights if the relay R10 is picked.
This information is from the Spartan wiring diagrams for my RV. It is fiendishly difficult to decipher that information but on my unit each wire is labled according to the diagram.

Have a nice day - Darrel
Old 02-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #13
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
For what it's worth on my unit there some components in the Bussman box that are labeled as "Auxilliary Brake". R10 looks to be the relay that is energized from the ECM. Fuse F17 looks to be in the circuit that activates the brake lights if the relay R10 is picked.
This information is from the Spartan wiring diagrams for my RV. It is fiendishly difficult to decipher that information but on my unit each wire is labled according to the diagram.

Have a nice day - Darrel
Thanks Darrel. With Spartan's help we determined that everything in the Bussman box is good to go. According to Spartan I'm down to a connector that connects the engine harness to the mid-frame harness.........sure do wish I could find it.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #14

Kix - I am very interested in your problem since my RV has it also. I have only diagnosed my actuator at the exhaust pipe which was good. I wonder if you could narrow it down to the wiring from Bussman to solenoid or ECM to Bussman. If you could see if the brake lites are activated by the exhaust brake switch you could eliminate the ECM to Bussman portion.

Keep working, I'me rooting for you - Darrel

Tags
brake