Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #1

Unhappy Exhaust Pipe

Need a exhaust pipe for a 2002 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage (spartan chassis) 40j..Just got a sticker shock of $375 from Spartan aftermarket parts.. any ideas or suggestions????
lencasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lencasp View Post
Need a exhaust pipe for a 2002 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage (spartan chassis) 40j..Just got a sticker shock of $375 from Spartan aftermarket parts.. any ideas or suggestions????
Call a muffler shop. They can make one for you.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #3

Good to know Chuck. I always figured they would not have the capability to bend 6" pipe, so forgot about them.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Good to know Chuck. I always figured they would not have the capability to bend 6" pipe, so forgot about them.
Ray..........They might not be able to bend 6 inch but they might have the pre formed 6 inch bends that they can weld up.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
I need just the chromed tip, and haven't figured out where to get it. Is the OP talking about the tip (yes, I have heard some unbelievable prices for it), or a longer piece of pipe?
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I need just the chromed tip, and haven't figured out where to get it. Is the OP talking about the tip (yes, I have heard some unbelievable prices for it), or a longer piece of pipe?
Try this place they have 6 inch x 90 chrome stacks.
Exhaust Systems Stacks, Pipes, Elbows, Clamps, and Bushings | Raney's Truck Parts
Old 07-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #7

6"?!?!, you sure that isn't 5"?
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Great tip on Raney's ...good price, guess I could cut to length I need, but not sure how I would attach it as bottom is plain (or reduced an inch) rather than slotted, etc. I just need about 20" ...and don't know what the dia of mine is, figured I would have to remove it to find out, and it appears to be rusted on.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #9

I got a new chrome tip for mine from the local Kenworth dealer/parts desk. Surprisingly best price I had found either local or online.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
My experience with exhaust parts (cars, trucks, & RVs) is that if you find one rusty part needing replacement, chances are that many more also need replacing.

I had to replace my entire exhaust from the turbo out due to several rusted parts a couple of years ago. The rusted muffler was only found during disassembly. This is on a 2002 Cummins 350 on a Spartan chassis. All new exhaust parts were stock and came from a local truck parts store. It was a 4" exhaust all the way and remains 4" today. Retrofitting it to some larger diameter was an option but required more bracket changes than I wanted to get into at the time. The factory bent tubes were replaced with preformed standard parts and band clamped together. The original muffler was matched to standard replacement muffler designs. Taking the old parts to the parts store and obtaining new parts to match the original shape helped a lot. I saved the chrome tip and used it again. Our local truck repair shop offered to form, cut, and weld a system together if wanted to have them to the work.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
One of our local muffler shops has the chrome tips. but have not asked the price yet. Mine is bent and needs to be replaced.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #12

$55 for mine (18" long 5" diameter) at kenworth parts desk. Pretty competitive price.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lencasp View Post
The SST flexible exhaust pipe and some clamps were just replaced under our extended service contract, with $0 deductible- from Good Sam. The way the exhaust system is made, the SST flexible pipe cannot be permanently repaired or resealed after it begins leaking, it must be totally replaced; as you already said.
Have you contacted any OTR truck/bus repair shops for a replacement option?

BTW, thanks for causing me to inspect ours for leaks!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 08-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Paul, try Iowa 80 Truck Stop's Chrome shop for what you need. They list over 1,000 parts under their exhaust heading.