Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2016, 05:48 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Front end of coach losing air

Shortly after I park the front end of my Mountain Aire will lose air and go down, just the front, then when I start it up it is fast to built back up, Sometime when I push the air brake button in the low air buzzer will come back on so I pull it back out till it builds up air again once it builds up air I push it in sometimes it won't release the brakes right away

The front end goes down all the time now
The other is air problem is intermittent

Any suggestions

Thanks in advance
Mtnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 06:17 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnaire View Post
Shortly after I park the front end of my Mountain Aire will lose air and go down, just the front, then when I start it up it is fast to built back up, Sometime when I push the air brake button in the low air buzzer will come back on so I pull it back out till it builds up air again once it builds up air I push it in sometimes it won't release the brakes right away

The front end goes down all the time now
The other is air problem is intermittent

Any suggestions

Thanks in advance
I am going to say you have a air leak on one of the lines, or at the air tank...........Since you posted in the Spartan forum, I am going to guess you have Independent front suspension, so that means it has 2 level control valves........and for it to drop like you are saying, the leak has to be around the tank, or the lines going to the ride height control valves.
The reason you have the low air buzzer, is that you have a large air leak.........and I am guessing the compressor runs all the time? Do you ever hear the air dryer purge?
You are going to have to start it up, get it to proper ride height , if you can, put blocking under your "Retracted jacks" and start looking/listening for the leak, by the sounds of things, it won't be hard to find...........A spray bottle with a little dish soap will aid you when looking for the leak.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I am going to say you have a air leak on one of the lines, or at the air tank..... ...........A spray bottle with a little dish soap will aid you when looking for the leak.
Exactly how I found a leak at a fitting on the tank at center rear of front axle after a couple of shops said they couldn't find it.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:19 PM   #4

My front was also dropping on my 05 KSDP and it was caused by the rear ride height valve leaking. I could hear the leak from the side of the rv. The reason the front drops first is because the front air bags require more pressure due to there size according to Chris at Spartan and it proved to be correct on mine anyway.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:27 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks everyone will check it out however the other night when we put the coach in the shop my wife did say she howard Aire at the back of the coach in between the axles, so that is the first place I will start to look
Thanks for the help it will be a few weeks before I will be able to get to it but I will let you guys know
Safe travels
Old 04-19-2016, 06:28 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry stupid me and my spelling I meant heard air at the back of the coach
Old 04-21-2016, 12:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnaire View Post
Sorry stupid me and my spelling I meant heard air at the back of the coach

Did you know you can go back and edit your post for a limited time after submitting?
Old 04-21-2016, 12:23 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I had exact problem on our MADP. Front would drop quickly, compressor ran too frequently, air leak in back drivers side over axle.
Rear ride height valve bad. Replaced it and problems went away.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/2002...ak-254295.html
Old 04-23-2016, 09:53 PM   #9

In case you are going to do your own repair work and find you have one or more defective ride height valves you will save a lot on replacement parts by finding them at a truch parts house versus ordering from Spartan or your RV dealer. I had to remove the defective valve and take it with me for comparison to the replacement since I couldn't find the part number on my old one. Now I have a record of the number and can just find a replacement when needed.

If I remember correctly the last one I bought was just over $50. where my dealer wanted nearly $100. I like him and would pay his price if I needed to, but there are frequently better ways.
hipower65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:52 AM   #10

I had the same problem with front dropping very quick and just replaced rear ride hight valve last weekend and problem solved no more leaks or dropping on my 05 MADP with tag

05 MADP 4301
2014 Ford FX4 Crew
Blue Ox tow bar
Air Force One
Billy & Jeannie & Clyde The Poodle
Vsilvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:49 PM   #11

For 5 years I had a problem of an air leak on our 04 Essex. I spent 10 hours or more on at least 8 different times to find the leak. Had it at a Spartan Service location that does work and even twice to Spartan in Michigan and no one could find the problem. After 3500$ dollars I thought I was just going to have live with it. Then about 6 weeks ago the air drier had a major leak which wouldn't let the coach build up air pressure and you could hear it leaking air. Replaced the air drier and now have no air leaks after 2 weeks of sitting. The air drier was the problem along and for 5 years nobody could check it and find out that was the problem. Don't forget to check air drier. I would have paid 1000$ or more if I would have know that was my problem 4 and 5 years ago.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:35 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We just purchased a 45' 2017 Entegra Aspire, which is on a Spartan chassis. Moving from a 40' 5th wheel, this is our first coach. Question I have is, is it normal for the rear air bags or rear of the coach to settle or deflate over a couple of days?
rlwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:44 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlwhite View Post
We just purchased a 45' 2017 Entegra Aspire, which is on a Spartan chassis. Moving from a 40' 5th wheel, this is our first coach. Question I have is, is it normal for the rear air bags or rear of the coach to settle or deflate over a couple of days?

On an old coach it is pretty common to have some leaks and the air bags lose air over time. Not sure I would expect that on a 2017 model.

Steve
Old 07-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlwhite View Post
No, your air bags loosing air in a couple of days is not normal......it should sit for weeks/months if there is no air leaks......
There has been a sloooo of faulty air ride control valves on the Spartan Chassis out of the factory over the last couple of years......
After making repairs, my old Mountain Aire will sit on its bags for months.......Have it checked out and repaired. Air leaks just add stress to the engine air compressor and the air dryer thus cycling......of the air system.