RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
tpj

Spartan Chassis
Height Level Valve

Happy New Year to All. My 04' DSDP has oil (not sure if it is Motor oil or hydraulic fluid, smelt like hydraulic) coming out of the exhaust port of our rear Height Level Valve. The first time I noticed it I thought it was because of a old Air dryer Filter, replaced the filter but not the unit it mounts to. Now I think I should replace the old Height Level Valve.

More info first- our air compressor that mounts to the Diesel motor was replaced with a rebuilt one when we first bought it. I cleaned out the Air Dryer mount as best as I could( was a little gummy inside but no oil). All of the air diagrams I have found tells me that from the compressor, it goes to the Dryer, to one of the 2 air tanks I have, to the height valve, then to the air bags. There is no oil out of the front 2 Valves. And I have drained all air tanks up front, no oil there also. Can't find one in the back so I assume ( ass out of me) that's all there is.

Next problem- I have to dump air out of all the bags before I can change the valve. I know how to block up the front end with 3 rows of 4x4's. But even with the air out of the bags in the back, the only place I have found safe to use 4x4's at, is around the engine. But at that place there is not enough room to place 4x4's and if there was it would be a stack of 5 or 6 rows of 4x4's. there. There has to a better place to do it at.

Looking for help on the placement of 4x4's so I can crawl under there and not get squashed.
And has anyone had oil coming out of the exhaust port of your height level valves.
Sorry for the long post. Hard to write it down and make sense to me so you can understand.
Thanks up front for your help.
TPJ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2015, 08:17 PM   #2
KIX

Drive the rear wheels up onto four 2 x 12 for each tire. That way you should have enough room with the bags deflated.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:38 PM   #3

The only way for any fluid to get to the air ride-height valves is to first get past the "wet tank", which is the rear air storage tank. It should be close to the air-dryer unit. Mine has a radiator-style petcock drain on it. Follow your coaches air system diagram to locate yours. If the compressor is passing oil through the air lines you should see a wet N oily purge valve on the bottom of your dryer unit; to the point of dripping on the ground when parked for a few days. A sheet of newspaper under the dryer unit while parked will determine that.
My solution to working under my MH was to construct ramps from 2x12's about 4' long for the top one, middle layer is 6' long, bottom layer is 8', all with tapered ends. That totals 4.5", which, together with existing ground clearance, is enough room to work under the coach rear with bags deflated. You don't need to buy new lumber, visit your local "re-store" ran by Habitat for Humanity.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:38 PM   #4
tpj

Spartan Chassis
Got my 2x12 ramp built. Used 4 layers of 2x12's. I had to use a hand truck to move them into position.

That gave me enough room to set up shop under the rear end. After better look around it was not dripping down on the rear end.

It was the rear end itself. it seems I have a seal where the drive shaft connects to the differential has gone bad. But I did find a air tank there that feeds the rear air bags. The stuff you find when you can get under the chassis and look around. All my Air Diagrams didn't show that tank.

But while I was under there I took off several air lines just to make sure.

Again, thanks for all your help.