Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #1

Hub Seals

I just bought a 2012 American Coach American Eagle 45T. It is riding on the Liberty Spartan 600 chassis. I drove it home 1200 miles from Charlotte NC to Omaha, NE. All the wheel seem to have thin coat of oil on them from this trip. Wondering if they may have overfilled the hubs during the service or if this is an indication of the hub seals leaking. This coach has 19,000 miles on it. Any ideas before I take it into a service center to inspect them.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #2

Is the oil on the rubber tire or rim or both? Do you see it on the outside of the tire, backside of the tire or both? Could it be the seller put too much tire dressing on the tires and it is slinging off? Do you have grease or oil filled hubs? How were the brakes? Did they feel OK or less than OK?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:55 AM   #3

Nothing on the tires. I have not crawled around yet to see if it is on the backside also. I am only seeing it on the outside of the wheels and on both sides. It may also be something they sprayed on at the dealer during detail that dirt is sticking to. On my next day off, if we have better weather I will look at the inside of the tires and rims. The brakes seem fine.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:20 PM   #4

The plastic hub caps have 2 lines on them one for low, one for full. If they are filled/topped-off quickly they are certain to be overfilled because of the viscosity of 80/90 weight hub oil.
After your MH has sat for a half-hour or more wipe the hub caps clean and look at oil level.
If a hub cap is leaking, you may buy new ones from any truck parts supply+gasket. The only thing to watch for is how many screws hold the hub cap in place, either 5 or 6. Spartan MM GT chassis has 5. Take a picture of yours with your phone to show the parts dept so you get the right ones. Otherwise the plastic caps are all the same.
When you remove a cap, catch the oil in something the size of a cottage cheese container, there isn't much in there. I used a piece of sign board to funnel the oil into the container to reduce the mess on rims.
ADD-ON; If the inside seal leaked, it is only visible if enough oil has leaked past the seal to drip from the brake drum = ruined brake shoes.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal, seals