Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #15

Actually I think you have the order of the filter changes rolled around. They recommend the external spin on yearly, and the internal every other year. My memory is getting so bad that I usually try to take notes when I talk to people like that, went back and looked at them and that is what they told me. The people that rebuilt and replaced my steering box were of the opinion that schedule was a little severe and should be tempered by the amount of miles put on in a calendar year. It is a closed loop system and if the coach is spending more time sitting than driving then perhaps you could push that out a little. Anyway I will probably change them after what happened to my steering box on a yearly basis filters are cheaper than components.
delcirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcirose View Post
Actually I think you have the order of the filter changes rolled around. They recommend the external spin on yearly, and the internal every other year. My memory is getting so bad that I usually try to take notes when I talk to people like that, went back and looked at them and that is what they told me. The people that rebuilt and replaced my steering box were of the opinion that schedule was a little severe and should be tempered by the amount of miles put on in a calendar year. It is a closed loop system and if the coach is spending more time sitting than driving then perhaps you could push that out a little. Anyway I will probably change them after what happened to my steering box on a yearly basis filters are cheaper than components.
X2
see page 33 in this pdf:
http://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/instan...sisSpartan.pdf
Old 05-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #17

Even more clarification and useful information, what a wonderful resource we have in the forum..Thanks all
delcirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #18

I just bought a 2000 MADP4080 last year. It has the Spartan MM chassis. I want to change the hydraulic fluid and filter for the side radiator/power steering. I have found what filter I need, but don't know how much AW46 fluid to buy. In the manuals that came with my coach, it seems I am missing a lot of my chassis-based manual information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Changed my in tank filter today took about 30 minutes thanks to the forum for telling me it had one. According to spartan in tanks filters change yearly and spin on filter every 2 sounds like I'll get a lot of practice.
Where did you get the two filters?
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Where did you get the two filters?
I purchased the spin on local and ordered the in tank from rvchassisparts.com (spartan) I purchased 2 intanks because the second road free shipping. Next time I'll get both from spartan easier.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
I checked the level of fluid in my hyd tank, but did not realize that there was a filter inside, don't see any in line filter. Access pretty limited, so any clues on how to access the inside filters would be a great help. New to me 2001 MADP 37ft Cummins ISC 350 Spartan. Thanks any info
Old 06-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillboy View Post
I checked the level of fluid in my hyd tank, but did not realize that there was a filter inside, don't see any in line filter. Access pretty limited, so any clues on how to access the inside filters would be a great help. New to me 2001 MADP 37ft Cummins ISC 350 Spartan. Thanks any info
This:
Hydraulic Oil and Filter Change
should explain it pretty clearly. Just don't use 15W40 oil as this guy did.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:03 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillboy View Post
Mine has a drain plug on bottom,remove band clamp and open lid the filter is held on by a wing nut and spring remove and reinstall new one. I filed up the tank mostly with lid off a lot easier. I also was worried about top clearance but it came off,I refilled AW-46 hydraulic oil.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:28 AM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
This:
Outstanding info. That covers the "look before you leap" part.
The my manual calls for AW 32 oil I believe, I will double check.
Location of the tank and size of my head will complicate the process. Access from above is tough as well as from engine access from rear, but seeing what is there is a huge help.
A spin on would be a pleasure, but ......
Thanks to all.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Mine has a drain plug on bottom,remove band clamp and open lid the filter is held on by a wing nut and spring remove and reinstall new one. I filed up the tank mostly with lid off a lot easier. I also was worried about top clearance but it came off,I refilled AW-46 hydraulic oil.

Just want to say thank you to Rooster, and all other posters above. I just completed my hydraulic oil, and inner and outer filter change. 2005 Spartan MM chassis. Took 8 1/2 qts of AW-46 oil along with the two filters. Just happened along this thread right before doing my change. I had talked with Spartan, and ordered parts prior to todays job. Reading the posts before hand made job go smoother. Next on my list is changing gear oil in front and tag hubs.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
This:
Did the job, the info in the link posted was outstanding. I did have to remove the bed deck to get access( changed the inaccessible engine fuel filter while I was at it). Move the mattress up front power screwdriver out all the hinge screws on the bed deck. Tip up the deck. Lift the engine cover. Change the hydro oil. The two nuts on the 2 piece clamp were tough .... rusted tight. Good to have it done. Thanks for the info.

The drill powered pump was great idea.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I just bought a 2000 MADP4080 last year. It has the Spartan MM chassis. I want to change the hydraulic fluid and filter for the side radiator/power steering. I have found what filter I need, but don't know how much AW46 fluid to buy. In the manuals that came with my coach, it seems I am missing a lot of my chassis-based manual information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
You might want to verify the AW46 fluid with Spartan. Our DSDP uses AW32 and I had to search for it as Costco only had the AW46. Found the AW32 at NAPA but it was more expensive. We also had the three Nelson 87610A filters inside the reservoir. Took about 4½ gallons even though I was told I'd only need a gallon or so.
You can use either fluid BUT you have to drain and flush the system if you change from one to the other.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #28

Did mine recently using rvchassisparts filters and AW46. Only issue I have experienced is that the giant o-ring on the housing lid is now leaking me-thinks. I was actually suprised how much rust and such there was on the lid/0-ring on the top of the fluid housing. ALSO, I was not able to loosen the drain plug at the bottom, I didnt want to risk damage so I used a vacuum pump to pull the old fluid out. I will now have to take the lid off to replace the o-ring.

The o-ring is only ~$6, so I would honestly recommend anyone servicing the system buy one of the o-rings as well to avoid the hassle I am experiencing.

Chris.
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid