RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2019, 10:20 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
IFS 1200S2 issues

Looks like the biggest issue with the Spartan IFS has been the ball joints. The previous owner of my TS DS04 said they were replaced by Spartan in MI. So, a couple of questions I have are #1. do the replacement ball joint have the same failure rate as the original installed ones? #2. what is the second most common issue with these Reyco/Granning IFS units or other common issues? thanks

2003 Travel Supreme DS04 full body paint, 3 slides, Spartan IFS 252" W.B. chassis, Cummins ISC 350HP Allision 6 spd 35K miles, traven with my sweetie...and man's best friend, our stubby-tailed (no tail at all) Australian cattle & Boxer mix rescue dog!
oldeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2019, 05:21 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeguy View Post
Looks like the biggest issue with the Spartan IFS has been the ball joints. The previous owner of my TS DS04 said they were replaced by Spartan in MI. So, a couple of questions I have are #1. do the replacement ball joint have the same failure rate as the original installed ones? #2. what is the second most common issue with these Reyco/Granning IFS units or other common issues? thanks
If I recall the ball joint issue was due to quality from supplier and may have run from about 2003 through 2005 +-. Not sure there is an issue with ball joints now. I had mine replaced 3 years ago at the Spartan Factory Service Center. Ball joints were still good but the boots were completely gone.
I am unaware of any other issues.

Cheers

CoachC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:23 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
I just recently replaced my ball joints, there's no difference in what was there vs the new parts....no "upgrade" boots ..... nada, zip, nothing & no grease fitting.

If you think joints are new, then I would install grease fitting zerks to allow the ball joints to be serviced.

There's a thread here on doing it.
With out adding grease fitting, expect same wear as old ones.

Only other parts that wear/need replacement would be steering stabilizers and shock absorbers. And if still on OEM air bags they should be closely inspected.

It's a great suspension that provides a awesome ride.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:14 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
...The previous owner of my TS DS04 said they were replaced by Spartan in MI. So, a couple of questions I have are #1. do the replacement ball joint have the same failure rate as the original installed ones? #2. what is the second most common issue with these Reyco/Granning IFS units or other common issues? thanks
Check your ball joints and if the boots are in good shape they have been replaced. If the boots are rotted they probably have not been replaced.

The problem is with the boots which disintegrate and allow dirt to grind away the ball joints. I believe the original joints would be OK if they had decent boots.

Macwrench has it right when he suggests installing zerk fittings to old or new ball joints. I'll attach a sheet someone gave me on how to add zerks.

The only other problem I have with my IFS is the 12,000 rating. Wish I had the 14,000.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 190802_Ball Joint Grease Zerts.pdf (110.1 KB, 10 views)
Ford Ranger Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:35 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
The only other problem I have with my IFS is the 12,000 rating. Wish I had the 14,000.
Can you explain your reason for your wish of a 14K IFS? I'm new to all this DP stuff? Thanks, pdf on grease fitting, and the PM.
2003 Travel Supreme DS04 full body paint, 3 slides, Spartan IFS 252" W.B. chassis, Cummins ISC 350HP Allision 6 spd 35K miles, traven with my sweetie...and man's best friend, our stubby-tailed (no tail at all) Australian cattle & Boxer mix rescue dog!
Old 12-11-2019, 08:33 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Can you explain your reason for your wish of a 14K IFS? I'm new to all this DP stuff? Thanks, pdf on grease fitting, and the PM.
So DW could carry more stuff!
Ford Ranger Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:04 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
So DW could carry more stuff!
got it!
Old 12-24-2019, 06:54 PM   #8

We are on our first trip in the new to us 2002 Spartan chassis. Will be doing the grease fittings mod as soon as we return home. Love this site for info like this.
I already knew about the balljoint issue because of the great info on this site, as I research every major purchase thoroughly.
Looks like the 17 yr old 44k boots are already splitting open. Adding the fittings and greasing them before each trip will no doubt postpone their inevitable replacement.
The other thing I will do at the same time is replacing the old shocks as the front end hits the stops way too often. Love the ride otherwise.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachC View Post
If I recall the ball joint issue was due to quality from supplier and may have run from about 2003 through 2005 +-. Not sure there is an issue with ball joints now. I had mine replaced 3 years ago at the Spartan Factory Service Center. Ball joints were still good but the boots were completely gone.
I am unaware of any other issues.

Cheers
My 1999 Reyco-Granning IFS1200 boots disintegrated quickly too.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote