Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2011, 07:27 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Is Rear Mud Flap Worth Keeping???

G'morning ALL:

(Didn't want to step on Papa Joes thread of today about repairing mud flap)

Having been "on the road" FULLtime since 05 (no house, no stuff, no storage, no nuttin !!), and having TWICE experienced damage to that big shiny mud flap hanging off the back end of our rig due to running over unavoidable "road gators" (tire tread debris),......what do you folks think about doing away with that rig wide flap altogether?? After our experience during our Alaska trip we're pretty convinced that those flaps are not really effective for more than advertising the brand of rig. In fact, they (these flaps) are the source of more chip damage to towed vehicles than other factors.

What's your opinion or thoughts about gettin rid of it ???

Steve & Lynette
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #2

Are you unflapable??

CHICKADEE, good question!! Our 2001 Sportscoach has a "broom style" rear mud flap that is strange looking and is always full of leaves and road debris so maybe they are effective. The broom style is ugly and always looks frayed on the sides so we want to change to your style solid flap but do they really work? Maybe you are right that covering the front of the toad is better. Lets hope some others offer their opinion. DACOTAH
Dacotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I removed my mud flap last Spring after reading posts that they cause as much rock damage as they prevent and some were claiming up to a half mile a gallon better mileage. I am currently on the last leg of a trip across the country and back and as much as I would like to give a possitive reply, it just hasn't proved out. I think mileage is mostly affected by driving patterns. I drove through at least two road repair areas that required driving in new "chip seal" which is small gravel poured over fresh tar. I now have many new rock chips on the toad so, although I can't say that the rock chips wouldn't have occurred with the mud flap. It sure didn't help to have it removed.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:31 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would leave it on and if mine wears out I would replace it.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
I towed my 2004 Cadillac from Calgary to Vancouver in early January after Cummins in Calgary "forgot" to re-install my flap, and did $1400 damage to the car from flying ice and snow! And this car was on a dolly so the front was quite high off the road.

Re-installed the flap, no more damage since.

A tow truck driver bent my flap into a pretzel later and I had him replace it. They are prone to a lot of damage, but they are usually easy to straighten out. I often remove mine and just walk/jump on it to restore it's shape. Big rubber hammers also help.

I don't believe the gas mileage story.
jim.smithjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
When I bought mine it didn't have a full rear mud flap.
The complete rear of the MH would become dirty within 500 miles after washing it.

After a year I had the Ultra full guard put on. It then took over 3,000 miles to get close as beng dirty as the 500 miles before. Completely stopped the oil road spots.

0 change in MPG as it is keep on a spreadsheet.
0 chips or dings noticed on the front of the toad.

After 9 years, not the first damage to it from "road gators"
Although I watch ahead, never follow to close behind another vehicle and have managed to miss all of them so far. Or just Lucky!
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
THANKS ALL !! Great feedback. Well, guess I'll continue repairing this flap damage from our last road gator encounter and WILL re-install it. Guess I'll give it ONE MORE CHANCE !!!!!

Steve
Old 10-29-2011, 08:08 AM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The secret to preventing toad damage is to have 4" to 6" road clearance under the flap, as contact with the road kicks up stones and debris that hit the toad.

I never had toad damage and my fellow MHers who raised their flaps also have not had any toad damage.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
The secret to preventing toad damage is to have 4" to 6" road clearance under the flap, as contact with the road kicks up stones and debris that hit the toad.

I never had toad damage and my fellow MHers who raised their flaps also have not had any toad damage.

Interesting comment, I agree--I installed my own flap from CW and the instructions called for the four inch clearance. And sure enough my Toad remains basically unscathed---the flap took a hit in the middle that tore it a bit but at ten years it is going strong.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post

Agree...I don't believe the MPG story either.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
I definitely agree about having 6" road clearance with a solid flap, nit sure about the "grass skirt type. I suspect low clearance may also cause some of the damage flap endure. The other facor in flap damage is how it is attached. My solid flap is in perfect condition with over 60k miles.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:39 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to PJGMG
Hi..we have the UltraGuard with the reinforced metal bar across the top. As far as clearance of 4 inches from the road we have it, will check again.

Our problem with this one and the previous one is we bottomed out making a "U" turn the top of it got crushed against the frame. It looks real mean.

I believe if we cut out a portion near the middle so it can hang w/o continuous hitting on the frame we may be able to salvage it. Where we cut it out will reenforce the cut areas with metal so I don't compromise the integrity of the mud flap at the top.

I am open to suggestions on how to remedy me bending/ruining another MUD GUARD.

Thanks..
Old 10-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 32 foot gasser with a fairly large rear hangover. The dealer put the guard on when I bought the Moho and did a terrible job putting it on. It kept falling off, so I finally left it off. I tow a jeep with a 4 inch lift and because it is so high, I don't get any damages.

Probably depends on overhang and what you tow. I saw a guy pulling a new TT the other day that made a home made rock guard for the back of his truck. It may have been 4 inches off the ground with the trailer off, but with the weight of the trailer it drug on the road. It was like a giant rubber broom dragging on the road throwing rocks and crap all over his new trailer. I tried to get beside him and tell him, however I could not get his attention.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have not had these on very long so I don't know about rocks but it sure cuts down on rain spray (on a level surface they just barely clear the ground but gain clearance when driving down the road)
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote