RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2016, 06:35 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
MIL Light

As I took off for my winter destination, a 1300 mile multi-day drive, I noticed the "MIL" light illuminated at the left end of the instrument cluster. This is an outline of an engine, definitely not the "check engine" light which is a couple spaces further to the right. No flashing light...just solid illumination, which stayed on during the entire trip. My understanding is this may be related to the DEF system, but what's it trying to tell me? A call to Spartan CS wasn't any help...we went through the diagnostic codes and no faults were indicated.

The DEF tank was at 3/4 and has never run out of fluid. No change in engine performance, mpg, etc. were noted during the entire trip. Anyone have insight into this error msg?

2014 Spartan K-2 chassis, 500 isx engine

slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2016, 06:41 PM   #2

MIL stands for malfunction indicator light. It's a generic warning that some error is being reported to your system computer. I find it odd that Spartan couldn't walk you thru whatever procedure is required to decode the fault

jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:50 PM   #3

Try contacting the engine manufacturer which the code is coming from.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:03 PM   #4

We learned that the codes from Spartan chassis with Cummins engine are not the same codes that Cummins has for their Scanners.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:28 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I just pulled up some pics of my TripTek readout during this time. Coolant temps ranged from 195-204, while engine oil temps ranged in the 235/236 degree range. Tranny temps remained about 4 degrees above coolant temps. Don't remember such large variances in the coolant/oil temps in the past. Wonder if this is what that light is trying to tell me?
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:35 PM   #6

Did the light eventually go out? If your system threw a code it should be recorded somewhere on the computer. Is there a service shop near you with the equipment to read what it is? Might cost 1/2 hour of shop time to get them to read it. This would drive me nuts. I'd pay $70 to see what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
I just pulled up some pics of my TripTek readout during this time. Coolant temps ranged from 195-204, while engine oil temps ranged in the 235/236 degree range. Tranny temps remained about 4 degrees above coolant temps. Don't remember such large variances in the coolant/oil temps in the past. Wonder if this is what that light is trying to tell me?
jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two part answer
Joke part:
This thread reminds me of an early episode of Dr. Who. The "Fault Indicator" in the Tardis indicated a fault, they were going out of their minds trying to find the fault... It was the Fault Indicator Circuit that was faulty.

Serious part:
Engine trouble codes come in three flavors:
Some are brief, will dissappear when the fault self clears,, One such on Gas engines is "Over Rich Fuel Mix" (I got it for a couple minutes on my car the other day).

Some clear when you shut the engine off and return when they are again detected upon re-start. I have one of those too which I plan on fixing soonk, it's a non-critical code.

And then there are HARD CODES. they do not clear till a mechanic clears them with his code reader. (I can do that too).

Now this applies to gasoline engines, but there are competing products for Diesels.

I have a little "Black Box" (it really is black) that plugs into my On board Diagnostic (II) port.. It chats, via bluetooth with my phone or laptop. On the phone I have TORQUE, which is how i know about the codes.. When a codce is encountered TORQUE reads it out (Vocally) and if I have the right page open displays it. LIVE, as I drive (I do not have the right page open)

Also on my car some handy gauges are missing.. Like a compass, and a Tac, Battery voltage and actuall digital coolant temp (I have an analog gauge with no calibration marks) TORQUE provides all of these and more (Engine load, Timing advance, Manifold vacuum)

As I said, there are products for Diesel engines that do the same job.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:45 PM   #8

I learned something today, as I do every time I log on to irv2.com. I quickly thought MIL meant you had a mother-in-law light, until I read post #2.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:50 AM   #9
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I learned something today, as I do every time I log on to irv2.com. I quickly thought MIL meant you had a mother-in-law light, until I read post #2.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #10

If there is no code thrown, I would see if it clears within a few key cycles. If it does,and does not recur, I would chalk it up to a transient of some sort due to a stray electron. Might also consider disconnecting the chassis batteries or using the shutoff switch to force an ECU reboot.

hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light