RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2014, 07:25 AM   #15

I called yesterday with my vin # because I thought maybe I was wrong per spartan I have a MM and Fleetwood put the liberty name to it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2014, 07:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivanj View Post
Hi Rooster,
If you go to Fleetwood's home page and open the 2005 Revolution brochure, you will see that on every page they state the differences between a Revolution and a Revolution LE. They refer many times to the Liberty chassis of the LE. That was the first year of the LE, and the regular Rev was also being sold.
Also, if you call Fleetwood, they will explain the differences. One difference is that the regular Revolution only has three jacks, the LE has four, because the regular Rev could not tolerate the twisting.

Not sure maybe that's the difference between a freightliner and a spartan chassis

Old 08-29-2014, 08:01 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In 2005, the regular Rev came with a Cat C7, 350 HP. The LE came with a Cat C9, 400 HP. Fleetwood had to order it that way. I assume Fleetwood added the jack system, three or four. I read somewhere when I bought our coach that Fleetwood cut the MM chassis and added stronger frame rails to make it a Liberty. I also read that is what happened to Freightliner's chassis. So maybe Fleetwood did it. Someone here will be the definitive expert.
I found this from 2007 on the net

Open Roads Forum

Print | Close

Topic: Liberty vs Spartan Chassis on Fleetwoods
Posted By: sb201 on 11/01/07 10:49am

Does anyone have any info on the different chassis and the difference in the ride between the Fleetwood Revolution and the Fleetwood Excursion. The Revolution has a Liberty Chassis and the Excursion has a Spartan chassis...Not sure how much if any difference they make. Also wondered about any maint problems with either.
Thanks, Scott

Posted By: mdprince on 11/01/07 11:17am

The Liberty chassis is a Spartan chassis (it may be configured a certain way for Fleetwood - giving it the Liberty name). [15,000 lb towing] Currently on the Fleetwood web site for 2008 models, the chassis for the Excursion is a Freightliner. (10,000 lb towing)

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

2006 Revolution LE 40E
2004 Jeep Rubicon Toad/Brake Buddy or
20' Toy Trailer/Quads 'n Dirt Bikes

Posted By: 1492 on 11/01/07 02:39pm

The Liberty Chassis is built by Fleetwood specifically for its' American Coach Line and the Revolution, using Spartan drive components. IMO, there is a difference. Handling is similar, but the ride quality of the Liberty Chassis is superior. Smoothest I've ever experienced, with the least amount of "road" feel translated into the cabin. Closest I'd say would be a Roadmaster eight-bag chassis, but the ride of the Roadmaster is noticeably more firm than the Liberty.

Posted By: moisheh on 11/01/07 03:14pm

Unless something has changed all Fleetwood DP's other than the American line and the Rev. use the Freightliner chassis. The others use the Liberty chassis. This a Spartan chassis front end and rear end. Fleetwood builds the whole center section. It is a real piece of engineering and is laser aligned. Much of the chassis is powder coated. No comparison between a Liberty and the entry level Freighliner. The FL's used by FW are all rear rad whereas the Liberty is a side rad. The Liberty used on the Rev. is not IFS but the American line uses the IFS.

Moisheh

Posted By: Buck62 on 11/01/07 04:07pm

Moisheh pretty well explained the differences between the FL and the LE chassis. The LE has an I beam front suspension with bilstein shocks all around. I test drove the Bounder Diesel, Excursion, Discovery and revolution when I was in the market. There is no comparison with the ride of the LE chassis when compared to the other models. It really drives like a car with virtually no side to side movement when passed by trucks.

Posted By: Jack M. on 11/01/07 08:44pm

The Spartan Chassis when it arrives at Fleetwood for construction of the American Coaches and Revolution LE is about the length of a Volkswagon. Then Fleetwood adds the Liberty superstructure that connects the front and back Spartan sections, the running gear. Not a perfect technical description but very close. Until Fleetwood discontinued the Freightliner Chassis for the Revolution they included the extra cost Liberty option which used the Spartan/Liberty Chassis. Now they are all Liberty LE Chassis. Our Revolution LE, except for the final finish is much the same as a Tradition or Eagle with a lower cost and weight.

Jack & Nim Myton
'10 American Allegiance, 42T,
`08 CR-V, `RVPUSHR`
President & Moderator, FMA 'Fans of Revolution' Chapter, http://fansofrevolution.com/, FMCA F335798 American Coach Association

Print | Close
Old 08-29-2014, 12:54 PM   #18

This is a perfect example of buying something and not knowing what you have,at least it worked out for the good. I bought it new and this is the first time I've herd of the liberty chassis.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #19

I learned too, thx man!
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
x3!
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
as my local RV guy says

"It's got good bones man!"
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
There is no such thing as a "spartan liberty chassis" the name liberty comes from Fleetwood as I stated before mine is a MM.
Spartan Chassis
Liberty Chassis made by Freightliner.
I do not see any differences. Both have the same specs as I read them.
2005 Fleetwood American Tradition on Spartan Liberty Chassis, advertised by PPL Motorhomes.

and finally, this from Safe-T-Plus: Safe-T-Plus steering control for Spartan Liberty Tuthill 1460 or 1660 chassis.

And to put this in line with irv2 standards, they have this 3rd air tank too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:14 PM   #23

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Alpine Owners Club
The small tank that both rear airbags are connected to is called "ping tank", it's purpose is ride quality.
SuperSteer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:28 PM   #24

SuperSteer,
Thank you so much for answering that question. I don't see how it could help ride quality that much, but I'm sure having to fill an additional tank when airing up the suspension, it takes a little long to bring it up to full pressure and full height. I'll have to see if I have that setup also.

DTW

Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank