Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2014, 09:16 PM   #1

New Mountain Aire on Spartan chassis owner

IRV is the best thing since sliced bread. I can't read enough!
Anyway, not new to RVing, but new to diesel motorhomes. So, I apologize now for my bazillion stupid questions.
A friend is purchasing our 2003 Fleetwood 32V on a workhorse W22 chassis. We purchased it new and it has served us well. Since I am a stickler for maintenance, I feel that my buddy is getting the deal of a lifetime. I digress.
A friend, who owns a large garage in our area sold me his 2000 Newmar Mountain Aire D on a Spartan chassis. My wife and I love this rig for a multitude of reasons.
Though I knew every screw and bolt on the workhorse, I am an absolute diesel novice. Any suggestions will be more than welcome.
We spend summers at our home in AK and winters at our home in NV with lots of RVing thrown in.
Thank you for having us!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 10:22 PM   #2

Welcome!

You'll love the ride quality, that's for sure. And the fact that you can have a conversation while powering up a hill since the engine's in back.

One characteristic to keep in mind is that since you will now have a trailing arm suspension, when you dump the air bags to park, the coach will actually shift forward a few inches (It's hard to write an explanation, but if you think about the geometry of it, you'll understand) so if you are on leveling blocks make sure you account for that shift of the front tires (the rears will be locked in place, of course).

Steve
Old 06-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #3

Interesting. Now I will have to look at that, tomorrow. My curiosity is peeked :-)
Old 06-26-2014, 04:25 AM   #4

Since it's on the Spartan chassis be sure to check out the ball joint boots. If they're the original I'll almost guarantee they'll be rotted out. It's a problem Spartan had early on.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:50 PM   #5

Steve, saw it inch forward and had to laugh. Had you not told me about this, I would have driven myself crazy about that forward creep :-)
Since I like to wrench, I will be crawling underneath, soon. However, I have trepidations about crawling under this chassis and how to get under there safely (being a pancake is not on my bucket list) versus the workhorse. Instructions, advice, etc. Pleeeeeease
Old 06-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by crolfmilton View Post
Since I like to wrench, I will be crawling underneath, soon. However, I have trepidations about crawling under this chassis and how to get under there safely (being a pancake is not on my bucket list) versus the workhorse. Instructions, advice, etc. Pleeeeeease
To get under ours I "sandwiched" together 3" x 10" boards. The bottom one is about 5' long and the top one is about 3' long. The end result is I can raise the coach about 6" and it is still on it's own wheels. I just back up onto the "ramps". A little heavy to move around but well worth it to me for servicing.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here are a couple of links you should read if your going to work under coach.
Jacks are only to stabilize the coach never lift rear wheels off ground.
Jack stands will help also in case jack system retracts.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
We'll shoot...it does "creep"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
Welcome!

You'll love the ride quality, that's for sure. And the fact that you can have a conversation while powering up a hill since the engine's in back.

One characteristic to keep in mind is that since you will now have a trailing arm suspension, when you dump the air bags to park, the coach will actually shift forward a few inches (It's hard to write an explanation, but if you think about the geometry of it, you'll understand) so if you are on leveling blocks make sure you account for that shift of the front tires (the rears will be locked in place, of course).

Steve
I have a 2014 entegra on a spartan chassis and the "creep" when retracting jacks scared the bejesus out of DW and myself the first time we had it on an overnight. I have repeatedly asked many folks (including the entegra CS folks) what the heck was going on. They all told me it was normal, but it SURE didn't seem normal to me. Last bus on a Freightliner chassis never had this issue. It has gotten better since I learned to pump up the airbags before retracting the jack, still bucks and jumps and sounds like it is breaking up concrete, but not as bad. Finally, with that one statement about the trailing arm suspension, I understand what is going on. For that, I thank you.
I also learned to be sure you remove any wheel chicks you may have in place before retracting the jacks; coach jumped forward and actually crushed a plastic wheel chock under the front wheel that I had forgotten to move before hand!
Never ceases to amaze me all the different crap you have to figure out/learn coach to coach that never comes up in the PDI at delivery!
2014 Jeep GC diesel - 2024 Renegade Verona 36VSB
mymyst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, spartan