Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #1

Oil change

Being new to a diesel motorhome I have a question about lube and oil change. Do you go to the chassis dealer (Spartan) or the motor dealer (Cat) for this service.
Mikep186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mike,
I usually go here if there is one in the area where I'm located or passing by. Take a look at their site and you can get prices and services. I find dealer prices high than everyone else unless they are offering a special.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #3

Speedco for me too.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
My driveway is where mine gets done.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
My driveway is where mine gets done.

X2 Same technique as my car, just takes a bit more oil.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:39 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mikep186,
If you are going to have a shop do the annual maintenance, just make sure they are certified by the manufacturer. Many shops are certified by both the chassis and engine manufacturer. Go to the manufacturer's web site to see a list of certified shops.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #7

Speedco and only Speedco for LOF and generator service, oil analysis and tire inspection.

In and out in one hour, I could not buy the oil and filters for the prices charged.

Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
No Speedco near us and I don't mind changing my own so what do you guys drain into? 26 quarts is a lot of oil to haul around too. The auto supply places here are required to take used oil so that is not a problem.

I have one of those pump up vacuum cans to suck the oil out (nice for boats) but I'm not sure the hose will reach all the way down the dipstick tube like in the boat. Only does 6 qts. but I could just keep emptying it and start over.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
No Speedco near us and I don't mind changing my own so what do you guys drain into? 26 quarts is a lot of oil to haul around too. The auto supply places here are required to take used oil so that is not a problem.

I have one of those pump up vacuum cans to suck the oil out (nice for boats) but I'm not sure the hose will reach all the way down the dipstick tube like in the boat. Only does 6 qts. but I could just keep emptying it and start over.
My RV parking spot in the back yard has a steep drop off immediately behind the rear tires, so I have a plenty of room below the engine. I can actually stand up next to the frame rails with the engine about shoulder height (great for maintenance). I use a couple of old 5 gal joint compound buckets to catch the oil and then dump it back into the 1 gal containers. The town transfer station takes used oil and antifreeze for recycling so the disposal is pretty easy. They also collect oil filters so they too do not go into the landfill. Works well for me.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:14 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_lou View Post
My RV parking spot in the back yard has a steep drop off immediately behind the rear tires, so I have a plenty of room below the engine. I can actually stand up next to the frame rails with the engine about shoulder height (great for maintenance). I use a couple of old 5 gal joint compound buckets to catch the oil and then dump it back into the 1 gal containers. The town transfer station takes used oil and antifreeze for recycling so the disposal is pretty easy. They also collect oil filters so they too do not go into the landfill. Works well for me.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy
Thanks Lou,
I'm not sure I can get a 5 gallon bucket under. The MH does hang over the pad it's on because we had it poured for a shorter one. "We will never need one bigger than this" It has rained here for it seems like weeks so I guess I won't be crawling around on the lawn to see soon. It is definitely a little lower under the rear and with the air bags up just maybe.

If I can't fit a bucket under I was thinking I might find a plastic 55 gallon drum and cut it down enough to slide under. Then if a spigot of some kind could be added it could be easy. Something else to find a place for in the garage though.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #11
IC2

I would try to find an independent dealer rather then the MH dealer or even the Cat dealer. They both have very high overhead costs that you as a vehicle owner have to help them "absorb".

As far as a home change - if indeed it is 26 quarts, that is 6 and a half GALLONS and a heluva lot of oil to try and catch without spilling. Then you add the filters all of which adds up to a potential major mess if you screw up. You paid a lot for this vehicle, and IMO should have the oil change done professionally along with a good chassis lube and an underside inspection which if you use a decent facility will do almost automatically
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Get one of these (they come in all sizes) at Wally World, cheap and big enough: Walmart.com: Sterilite's Clear Tints 60-Quart Storage Box, Set of 6: Storage & Organization
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Get one of these (they come in all sizes) at Wally World, cheap and big enough: Walmart.com: Sterilite's Clear Tints 60-Quart Storage Box, Set of 6: Storage & Organization
Good idea With the handle I might even be able to pour the used oil into buckets to get disposed of properly.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I used a truck service shop (Freedom Truck Centers, Inc.). The cost was $219 for lube, oil, oil filters, and secondary fuel filter, the mechanic also adjusted the brakes. I thought it was reasonable and I didnt have to deal with it.

When I was thinking of doing it myself, I found a oil drain pan that would accept a large amount of oil, at a truck supply house. Since it was made for draining oil it had a partial top cover with a pour hole so one could pour the oil into a container for disposal. This was one of those wide flat pans that you see in the auto parts stores for draining oil. It also was made so that one could pick it up and pour easily with some sort of handle or handhold. It would work much better than some sort of plastic storage container.

This one is similiar to the one I saw:
http://www.autobarndeals.com/servlet...l-Drain/Detail

I think the next time I have the oil changed I will have them install a Fumoto style valve (QWIK VALVE: ENGINE OIL DRAIN VALVE MADE BY FUMOTO: THE BEST WAY TO CHANGE THE OIL QUICKLY AND EASILY!) just in case I want to drain the oil in the future.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote