RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2007, 02:30 AM   #1

I have a 2005 MADP 4304 that spent about 3 months at the factory for repairs after an engine bay electrical fire. I don't know if the dip stick tube (plastic) was secured during the repair process or not but recently I went out to check the oil level in the ISL-400 and the dip stick would not come out. After further investigation I found that the dip stick tube had been tied up with several hoses one of which appears goes to the radiator reservoir. It looks like this hose got hot enough to melt the outside of the dip stick tube such that the softened plastic tube was pushed inward enough to prevent the dip stick from passing by when pulling it out.
Spartan has been notified and a new tube and a heat resistant sleeve is on the way. So, check your oil dip stick tube, my problem was back from the "T" handle about 17".

Robert

Robert M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2007, 02:30 AM   #2

I have a 2005 MADP 4304 that spent about 3 months at the factory for repairs after an engine bay electrical fire. I don't know if the dip stick tube (plastic) was secured during the repair process or not but recently I went out to check the oil level in the ISL-400 and the dip stick would not come out. After further investigation I found that the dip stick tube had been tied up with several hoses one of which appears goes to the radiator reservoir. It looks like this hose got hot enough to melt the outside of the dip stick tube such that the softened plastic tube was pushed inward enough to prevent the dip stick from passing by when pulling it out.
Spartan has been notified and a new tube and a heat resistant sleeve is on the way. So, check your oil dip stick tube, my problem was back from the "T" handle about 17".

Robert

Old 03-28-2007, 01:03 PM   #3

Do you know what was the cause of your fire, why you didn't incur a total loss and the mfg. of your chassis?
20 gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:26 AM   #4

My coach was one that during a heavy rain storm with the wind blowing directly into the engine bay, it would try to start. Talk about something waking you up in the middle of the night. Well the first time it happened the fix by the dealer was to put a cover over the engine ecm panel on the right hand side of the engine bay. Didn't have any problem until I was in another driving rain squall and it tried to start again. Just like before I got up and went out to the master switch and turned it off. The next day I cut the switch back on and nothing happended for about 3-4 hours so I left the master on. That night at about 7:00 pm it tried to start again and I wasn't there. My neighbor called me and by the time I got there smoke was boiling out of the engine bay. I took it to the dealer and they were going to change out the starter first as it had melted stuff internal that was coming out the sides. It was while the coach was at another service center that the dealer uses that a new starter was installed and when the coach was started the electrical fire in the engine bay occured. I melted engine control harnesses, sensors etc. in the engine bay such that they put it on a low boy and took it to Nappanee.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:19 AM   #5

Spartan has shipped a repair kit to a dealer nearby for installation on my ISL-400. The kit also includes an Orange sleeve that will slide over the dip stick tube in the high heat areas. I have an appointment for Monday to have it installed. Hopefully another problem solved.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:37 AM   #6

Had my coach repaired last week and found out today that it was a Spartan Chassis, INC. Technical Service Bulletin, TSB05-170-003. Text from hardcopy included below.
Subject: Engine Oil Leak - Cummins C8.3, ISC, ISL, ISM
Applies To: Certain Spartan Chassis Models equipped with a Cummins C8.3, ISC, ISL or ISM Engine with a VDM (Vehicle Date of Manufacture) between September 2002 and April 2005.
Condition: The plastic engine oil dipstick tube may melt as it could be located in a manner that is subject to contact with a heat source in the engine compartment.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:29 PM   #7

Our previous coach (05 Newmar Kountry Star) had an "oil leak" problem. Cummins Phila. could not find the leak. We took the coach to Spartan Charlotte, Mi to have a continuing driveshaft & U-joint problem resolved. Spartan was truly concerned and determined to resolve our problems. They also found that our oil leak (very evident on our towed car)was the result of a melted dip stick carrier tube. Spartan said that they installed it too close to the hot engine. The U-joint problems were also resolved - Spartan had installed it backwards (one end has a wider dimension than the other) which caused the U-joint/driveshaft to self destruct 3 times
Old 04-19-2007, 03:47 PM   #8

My dipstick tube did not melt enough to leak, however the tube melted inward and caused a problem trying to remove the dipstick. I guess I caught it in time. Spartan was very responsive.

Robert
Old 05-15-2007, 07:19 AM   #9

An update on the dipstick change. Found out that Spartan sent the wrong part number dipstick for my coach. I was getting very little oil up on the dipstick. Imagine my concern!!!! I even got under the coach looking for wet spots or any sign that I had a leak. I have never had any oil leak on my floor since I have had the coach, now at 20,000 miles. Called Spartan and they researched that I had been sent the wrong tube and dipstick. They are overnighting the correct one.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:30 PM   #10

Check your dipstick tube now. Our 2006 DSDP experienced a melted dipstick tube. The tube had been secured adjacent to the radiater tube. It melted the sleeve such that the dipstick could not be withdrawn.
PairoDocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:50 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">PairoDocs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
PairoDocs
Make sure you check your oil level if/when Spartan sends you a new dipstick. They sent me the wrong one. That has been corrected now and all is well.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC-RV View Post
The U-joint problems were also resolved - Spartan had installed it backwards (one end has a wider dimension than the other) which caused the U-joint/driveshaft to self destruct 3 times
What was installed backwards - the Ujoint? Or the driveshaft (how could that happen?)

Reason for asking - my 02 MountainAire was towed, driveshaft disconnected from the axle...they didn't put any electrical tape on the UJoint caps to keep them from getting lost...they did get lost and I replaced the UJoint...but didn't know that there was a front / backside to it. It seems to be working fine - just checking.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:00 PM   #13

You do realize that post was ten years ago.

When at Spartan they mentioned that tow truck drivers could reinstall something wrong after towing and they would fail.

Call Spartan and ask them. 517-543-6400

DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote