Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #1

Oily Stain on Tire

What could be the source of an oily stain on the inside of the front driver's side tire. Whatever leaked was not enough to reach the ground, but it is obviously not normal. Our motorhome is a Spartan Allstar Chassis, 2009. It has not been driven since mid November and is in a totally enclosed storage. I just happened to notice this stain today when doing routine battery maintenance and general inspection.

Many thanks for any replies and suggestions.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi akadeadeye,
Does the stain have a trail? If it is on the tire, is it on the wheel? Consider checking the wheel bearing lube level.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:24 AM   #3

Sounds like a seal has gone bad.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:56 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
If there is no trail and the bearing lube level is okay, consider cleaning off the stain and see if it reappears. I say this because the stain may be from a critter(s) marking its' territory.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi akadeadeye,
Does the stain have a trail? If it is on the tire, is it on the wheel? Consider checking the wheel bearing lube level.
OK. How do you do that on these big monsters?

I did not mention that I had the oil changed recently at a Cummins dealer and they lubed also. I guess this could be excess lube dripping.

Don
Old 01-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wheel bearing seal or possible a brake caliper leaking. It should be sprayed around the tire.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #7

It very well may be excess grease dropping from brake calaper --- I have had it happen before.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
check brake fluid it could be your brake fluid leaking. If you check fluid and its low then its problem your brakes leaking.
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
laj

It will either smell like 85/140, if its bearing oil,
grease if its from over/ sloppy lubing. All have very distinct smells.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
If you just had it serviced it very well could be a trail from leftover grease. A good inspection with a flashlight is in order. So long as the brake caliper is dry and the hub is dry odds are things are fine. Clean it, drive it, reinspect after a few days.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi akadeadeye,
How did you notice the stain on the inside of the tire? For me, I'd turn the steering wheel all the way to the right. Then get a light and something to lie down on. In the space made available on the backside of the wheel, lay down behind the wheel and get under far enough to see if there is a trail. Look at the lube points and see if there is grease coming out. Look all over the components and determine if you see any grease or oil.

As to the wheel hub oil level, return the front wheels to straight ahead. Remove the wheel hub cover. There should be a clear plastic lens that you can see the wheel hub oil level. There will be markings (like a dip stick) to tell if the oil is at the correct level.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi akadeadeye,
How did you notice the stain on the inside of the tire? For me, I'd turn the steering wheel all the way to the right. Then get a light and something to lie down on. In the space made available on the backside of the wheel, lay down behind the wheel and get under far enough to see if there is a trail. Look at the lube points and see if there is grease coming out. Look all over the components and determine if you see any grease or oil.

As to the wheel hub oil level, return the front wheels to straight ahead. Remove the wheel hub cover. There should be a clear plastic lens that you can see the wheel hub oil level. There will be markings (like a dip stick) to tell if the oil is at the correct level.
Good suggestions from all of you. Thank you.

I will make these checks as soon as is practical since it is in an RV storage barn now with no plans to travel in January .

GaryKD, I discovered it while putting water in my batteries (they are up front of the generator). I was shining the flashlight around underneath and noticed the driver side tire had a dark spot on it in the 6 o'clock position. Can't really turn the tires now since they are on wood planks, and I don't want to start to move until I am ready to drive somewhere. Hah, this could be an excuse to take her for a spin somewhere close .

Don
Old 01-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
The Spartan chassis has air brakes so no brake fluid. If you can, clean the tire and wheel and then check the bearing lube for the wheel and fill if needed. Keep a check on the wheel to see if the leak persists. If the grease is "clumpy" could be excess grease from greasing the ball joint.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
I guess this could be excess lube dripping.
EXACTLY what happened in my case, except that the grease droppings were on the generator exhaust. It was coming from a blown out boot that they apparently over-filled...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote