RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2020, 10:19 AM   #1

Rear Air Tank / Suspension, No Air ??

I'm a little confused and wondered if one of the experts can help, not sure if I have a problem or not.
I have a '99 American Dream on a Spartan MM Chassis. It has the front air tanks for brakes, suspension etc. For normal maintenance I've checked my wet tank check valve and automatic tank drains (replaced all 3 due to leaking) and everything up front is working great.
My question is regarding the rear tank just in front of the rear differential. I understand this is for the rear suspension and all my air bags, ride height etc are working good. I crawled under the coach and went to drain the rear tank to check for moisture, loosened the petcock and got no air. I saw the petcock full from mud daubers, so I removed it to clean it out and low and behold no air in tank at all. I have the air diagram in my Spartan manual, but I cannot tell when it is supposed to have air. I've checked it 3 times and no air ever, now to be clear this is after I air dump the suspension and crawl under it with the jacks down (and yes, I use 12 ton jack stands ). Does this tank drain when you dump the bags, or do I have a problem ? I would think the dump valve would dump the bags but not drain the tank but obviously I don't know.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2020, 03:58 PM   #2

Both front and rear air springs are supplied by the two tanks in the front, just behind the genset. That tank you speak of is a wet tank, as it has a radiator petcock for draining instead of a cable-pull drain. I can't remember what it is named.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Both front and rear air springs are supplied by the two tanks in the front, just behind the genset. That tank you speak of is a wet tank, as it has a radiator petcock for draining instead of a cable-pull drain. I can't remember what it is named.

Ray, I believe the wet tank is built into the left front tank. It's a dual tank with two automatic drains and a check valve between them. I tested the check valve by releasing the air in the front of the tank and confirming that the rear section held air still. My Spartan schematic calls the rear tank a rear suspension fill tank.....is this info wrong ??
Old 01-09-2020, 06:58 PM   #4

OK, looking at the diagram again. The rear tank is definitely only used for the rear springs. I think I answered my own question after looking again. I now believe the rear tank , accumulator tank they call it will only hold air when the suspension is up and self-adjusting. When I dump the air, I believe this tank is dumping also as it's the only connection between the valves and the bags.I'll have to check next time I have it aired up. Here is a picture of the diagram...sorry, don't have a way to scan to pdf from home.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200109_194831.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	271856
Old 01-09-2020, 07:15 PM   #5

I was reviewing my Spartan files and found thse air diagrams. I don't think it is part of what you are talking about though.I can't explain why they are inverted now.
After comparing your main schematic to my shop air diagram, the left-double tank,(my air tank drawing) wet/primary is where the(shop air drawing) shop air connection fits. The right tank supplies air for the rear suspension and braking system.
I think I'm learning more from you than I'm supplying. Both of these drawings are the same tank BTW.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1568-MM5 air tank.pdf (118.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: pdf 1986-MM5 shop air diagram.pdf (128.7 KB, 2 views)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, suspension, tank