Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2018, 06:16 PM   #1

Rear Toad Air Brake Connect

Just ordered a 2018 Newmar Dutch Star on a K2 chassis. I haven’t confirmed w the dealer but does the spartan chassis have factory installed air brake connection for the toad?
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2018, 06:34 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Most do not, but it's not hard to plumb a 'T' into an air line and run it to the rear of the RV.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Most do not, but it's not hard to plumb a 'T' into an air line and run it to the rear of the RV.

Ya I didn’t think so. But you spend so much on a new coach, and have to start cutting and installing stuff...
Old 03-20-2018, 07:18 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpecks View Post
Just ordered a 2018 Newmar Dutch Star on a K2 chassis. I haven’t confirmed w the dealer but does the spartan chassis have factory installed air brake connection for the toad?

My understanding from Spartan is the Mountain Air and up have the air brake connection for the toad.
This would consist of a relay valve, protection valve, ping tank and other components like air lines.
Unless something has changed this will not be on a Dutch Star just Mountain Air and up.
If the coach does not have this the kit is available from Spartan as an add on.
I believe Air Force One has an approved system.

Spartan does not approve of simply T ing into their air brake system.
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Ya I didn’t think so. But you spend so much on a new coach, and have to start cutting and installing stuff...
The Motor Home should have a rear axle proportioning valve(s). You will see it over the rear axle, the air supply line running towards the front of motor home & two air lines, (1 to each brake chamber on that axle). It's like a junction box......with one or two additional supply ports blocked off with threaded pipe plugs. Unscrew, one of the plugs for your toad air supply. (Best to test before proceeding)
I recommend you use steel braided air line, (Stratoflex or Aeroquip - for ex.). You can use available hose ends that you install at home. The hose ends are 2 piece, one that threads over the outside of the hose & the other that threads into the first piece and into the inside of the hose. It swedges the hose to the fitting and makes a permanent, reliable connection. (used throughout the air brake maintenance field).
Rock-N-Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman 2 View Post
My understanding from Spartan is the Mountain Air and up have the air brake connection for the toad.
This would consist of a relay valve, protection valve, ping tank and other components like air lines.
Unless something has changed this will not be on a Dutch Star just Mountain Air and up.
If the coach does not have this the kit is available from Spartan as an add on.
I believe Air Force One has an approved system.

Spartan does not approve of simply T ing into their air brake system.

Good to know. I just picked up a new Air Force one kit for real cheap so I’ll start there!! Now I just have to find a new toad!
Old 03-20-2018, 07:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Roll View Post
The Motor Home should have a rear axle proportioning valve(s). You will see it over the rear axle, the air supply line running towards the front of motor home & two air lines, (1 to each brake chamber on that axle). It's like a junction box......with one or two additional supply ports blocked off with threaded pipe plugs. Unscrew, one of the plugs for your toad air supply. (Best to test before proceeding)
I recommend you use steel braided air line, (Stratoflex or Aeroquip - for ex.). You can use available hose ends that you install at home. The hose ends are 2 piece, one that threads over the outside of the hose & the other that threads into the first piece and into the inside of the hose. It swedges the hose to the fitting and makes a permanent, reliable connection. (used throughout the air brake maintenance field).

Great info! Presumably you are talking about what’s in the picture? This is from the Air Force one instructions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1521595438.077049.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	618.4 KB
ID:	196145  
Old 03-20-2018, 07:50 PM   #8

I can't tell for sure, (from looking at the photo). It looks like the diagram is pointing out the main air supply, (to rear brakes) - terminating at the proportioning valve. (I couldn't expand the photo large enough to be sure.)
I don't know if your kit recommends splicing into this line with a tee or not. It would NOT be my choice to tee into the main air supply line.
The proportioning valve will have unused, (and plugged) ports in the body.
If you use plastic air line, be sure that there is no chafing on any other objects and the line is supported every 18-24" back to the toad air supply bracket.
If you are careful, you should not have any trouble doing this yourself.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Roll View Post
I can't tell for sure, (from looking at the photo). It looks like the diagram is pointing out the main air supply line to rear brakes. I don't know if your kit recommends splicing into this line with a tee or not. It would NOT be my choice to tee into the main air supply line.

The proportioning valve will have unused, (and plugged) ports in the body.

If you use plastic air line, be sure that there is no chafing on any other objects and the line is supported every 18-24" back to the toad air supply bracket.

If you are careful, you should not have any trouble doing this yourself.

Suggestions noted and appreciated!!
Old 03-20-2018, 07:55 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Kpecks,
I would advise checking with your Newmar dealer to confirm if your order Dutch Star has the toad air brake system or not.

If is does not call Spartan for what they approve.
They do not approve simply taping into their air systems .
You do not want to compromise your brake system with some Jerry rig hook up.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman 2 View Post
Kpecks,
I would advise checking with your Newmar dealer to confirm if your order Dutch Star has the toad air brake system or not.

If is does not call Spartan for what they approve.
They do not approve simply taping into their air systems .
You do not want to compromise your brake system with some Jerry rig hook up.

The Air Force one system apparently has everything needed to tie into the coach’s air brake. I’ll confirm and continue to do my research! Thx for taking the time to reply.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:13 PM   #12

I don't think Air Force One would ask any customer to take an unsafe approach to their kit installation.
I know for SURE that I would never advocate "jerry-rigging" anything......including air brake systems.
I happen to have extensive knowledge in commercial air brake systems and provided the OP with the help he requested.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:18 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Kpecks,

Congratulations on the the newly ordered Dutch Star.
Should have said that earlier..
Old 03-20-2018, 08:22 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
The Air Force one system apparently has everything needed to tie into the coach’s air brake. I’ll confirm and continue to do my research! Thx for taking the time to reply.

Yes, a full Air Force One kit has all the components, which includes the breakaway kit on the coach side. This was the tipping point for me choosing the AF1 over the M&G on my first install. When I added a Jeep to tow I went with the M&G since the coach was already protected.
Install on the coach side is a little more involved than just adding a Tee in a line, as it also requires mounting the extra tank and valves along with connecting into the coach air brake system in 2 locations.

Tags
air, brake, toad